Where England went wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Where England went wrong
As England have crashed an burned at the World Cup I've decided to post my own personal views of where we went wrong and how we could improve. Obviously I'm no master tactician, these are just a laymen's observations of the issues.

History

Hodgson has proven at Euro 2012 that he can be tactically naive at times. In that tournament he set up against Italy like so;

[Image: England2012_zpsab3a8dec.png?t=1405117461]

This was doomed from the start. Italy had been playing, and did play in that game, with three central midfielders. The most important of these players was Andrea Pirlo, who sat deeper than the other two and controlled the game with his passing. As both of England's central midfielders were sat deep on the pitch to protect the defence they were occupied with the two more advanced players in Italy's midfield leaving Pirlo free to dictate the game. It was a miracle we survive until penalties. It was baffling that Hodgson didn't attempt to change anything to restrict Pirlo during the game. The problem with playing 4-4-2 is that, when you are up against a team with three central midfielders you will be overrun in midfield. To Hodgson's credit though he recognised the problem (albeit too late for Euro 2012) and changed his approach to try and help control the midfield.

Since then he has set up in a 4-2-3-1 formation. This is how he set up against Italy in our first game at the World Cup 2014;

[Image: England2014_zps8a575129.png?t=1405117483]

Having one of the strikers drop deeper and become a midfielder allowed us to battle more effectively for control of the midfield and helped prevent the remaining striker from becoming isolated. This was Hodgson learning from his mistakes of two years previously.

However, the problem with this was that while the formation is not a bad one, it didn't hugely suit the players he had at his disposal. Also, there seemed to be a lack of clearly defined roles at times for certain players and a lack of identity for the team overall. Watching the top teams play, there forward player's roles on the pitch fit together like a jigsaw. The whole becomes greater than the sum of it's parts. In Hodgson's set up the forward players (Welbeck, Rooney, Sterling, and Sturridge) seems to all be playing their own individual games. Rather than the wide players staying wide to try and provide crosses for the central players, or the wide players cutting in to attack and the central players trying to create space for them we had Welbeck staying wider whilst Rooney came infield. Sturridge and Sterling seemed to be just expected to whatever they wanted as opposed to linking up properly with the wide men. This came about because of Hodgson clearly picking his best players and forcing them together in his pre-picked formation, as opposed to picking his strongest formation and team, and making tough decisions on potentially leaving our some of his better players for the good of the team.

Going Forward - Tactics

Going forward Hodgson needs to continue to bring the youth players through but work on his tactics. It was his tactics that let England down, not personnel chosen for the squad (it was a strong squad). If Hodgson wants to continue with his current formation he needs to decide how he wants it to function. Does he want the wide players cutting in (as inside-forwards or playmakers) or going wide (as wingers)? Is the striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender or dropping deeper to find/create space? Is the attacking centre-mid primarily a playmaker or a goalscorer?

In my opinion Hodgson needs to avoid playing with wingers. We don't have many good wingers at the moment and when you play with wingers you leave less space for you fullbacks to attack. As practically all of our fullbacks are very dangerous going forward we should avoid stifling them.

If we do go without winger here are three formations that spring to mind that England can utilize going forward that suit our players;

4-2-3-1

[Image: England4-2-3-1_zps5eb7e4c6.png?t=1405117442]

This is the most similar to Hodgson's current set-up but has more of a clear focus and direction for the team.

The wide men function as playmakers and are expected to spend most of their time cutting infield. This will create space for the fullbacks to move into. From the more central position their primary role will be pick out passes for the central midfielder and striker to score but they may also look to get into the box and score themselves when possible. The striker can look to get in behind the defence when he has the space to or look to drop deeper and create space for the central midfielder when he doesn't. The central midfielder will be primarily a goalscorer and expected to make runs into the box. The two defensive midfielders will look to protect the defence and control the passing game from deep while also covering the fullbacks if they get caught out of position (they will be attacking just as much as defending).

The downside to this is that it only accommodates one striker and so either Rooney or Sturridge will have to be dropped.

4-3-3

[Image: England4-3-3_zpsdf57cdb9.png?t=1405117450]

This is a dynamic formation that has been utilized by Barcelona and Bayern Munich to great effect in recent years.

The wide men are inside forwards. Despite being initially positioned out wide their job is to cut inside and run infield, running at the defenders and looking to get into the box and score. This means that, despite being strikers, Sturridge and Welbeck are perfectly suited to this role as it is primarily a goalscoring role. Also, their pace and ability to run at defenders is essential for this role. The striker needs to function as a false nine. His main job is drop deeper and pull defenders out of position for the inside forwards. He also needs to be able to pick good passes once he finds space between the opposition midfield and defence. Rooney has all these attributes. Also, he could be on occasion look to act as a target man and win flick-ons for the inside forwards. Of the two central midfielders one will look to be the outlet for anyone in possession and control the passing in midfield, the other will look to break forward and support the more advanced players by being an extra body high up the pitch. The defensive midfielder will function as an anchorman, protecting the defence and playing a simple passing game. The fullbacks will look to attack into the space created by the inside forwards and will be covered by the defensive midfielder if caught out of position.

4-1-2-1-2

[Image: England4-1-2-1-2_zps0b3fad3f.png?t=1405117446]

This is probably my favoured choice for how I would like to see England play and is exactly how Liverpool have engineered their success this season.

Once again, the fullbacks are given free license to attack, their should be plenty of space for them and they provide the team's only width. The defensive midfielder must be able to cover the fullbacks if they are out of position, protect the defence, and control the passing game of the team. The central midfielders must contributed to both attack and defence and have excellent stamina. Defensively they must battle for control of the centre of the pitch when necessary but also support their fullback when necessary. In attack they must burst forward to support the forward players and be able to either pick passes, or get into the box themselves. The attacking midfielder will look to make runs into the box and score goals, as well as being able to pick passes when necessary. The forwards must work in tandem, when one is dropping back and playing the playmaker role the other must be on the shoulder of the last defender looking to get in behind.

Going Forward - Personnel

Goalkeeper

Not much to say here. I think Hart is the undisputed first choice and must remain so.

Fullback

There dilemmas for both fullback positions. At rightback Johnson has not looked his best and, if he doesn't improve, may need replacing. I think the best contender would be Clyne but also Flanagan if he continues his progression this season. On the left hand side I think Baines should still be our first choice but, if his form isn't impeccable, then Shaw should be considered a serious contender to replace him.

Centreback

This is a problem position. Cahill and Jagielka have looked suspect and Jagielka in particular may be getting past his best. We need to look to Jones going forward. He hasn't excelled yet but hasn't had a run playing at centreback (his favoured position) and has instead been moved around to fill gaps. If he was consistently played where he should be playing we may yet see the best of him. We also need to blood Caulker and Stones in asap. Lescott will be worth monitoring if he gets regular game time at West Brom but Smalling has to go.

Defensive Midfield

This is another problem position, we simply don't have any players here who can excel in the anchorman role. Possibilities include Livermore, Huddlestone and Parker. The other option is utilize Henderson or Milner but they are better off further forward. As far as passers go there are plenty of good options. The best choice would be Gerrard, but Barry or Carrick could also play here if needed.

Central Midfield/Attacking Central Midfield

We have an abundance of players who can play here. Henderson, Barkley, Sterling, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere are all fantastic players. Milner is also capable of doing a good job and should be part of any squad due to his versatility and work-rate. I would also look to blood in some of the younger players who haven't been included yet such as Ward-Prowse and Hughes in the near future. I think Lampard's race is run.

Wide Midfield

I don't think we should be looking to play with wingers but, if we did, I would be looking to play Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Walcott on the right and Townsend on the left. Presuming we do play players with the aim of cutting in then who to pick would depend on the role we want them to play. If they are to be playmakers then any of the players listed in the previous section would be great choices. If they are to be inside forwards then the three players listed previously in this section would be great choices (though playing on the opposite side). Also, Sturridge on the right and Welbeck or Rodriguez on the left would be great choices.

Striker

I think the main men here are Rooney and Sturridge. Rooney is more of a playmaker forward (dropping deeper and creating chances as well as goalscoring) and Sturridge is more of an out and out goalscorer (playing on the shoulder of the last defender and looking to poach goals and always be a threat). I think Walcott is another strong contender and I think this is his best position, especially when he uses his pace. Welbeck and Rodriguez are also good options and Defoe is another possibility as well. I also think Lambert should be in every squad for the time being. Age may not be on his side but he offers a different option with his strength and aerial presence and his is also technically very gifted, he needs to be involved. I don't think Carroll should be anything more than an emergency option.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
11-07-2014, 07:02 PM
RE: Where England went wrong
Nice analysis of a completely uninteresting topic. Now give me your analysis of how Brazil got fucked in orifices they didn't even know they had by Germany. ... Mods will have to make the call whether it should be moved to over-18 section.

Seriously, I watched the game and I'd like to see your analysis. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-07-2014, 07:06 PM
(11-07-2014 07:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nice analysis of a completely uninteresting topic. Now give me your analysis of how Brazil got fucked in orifices they didn't even know they had by Germany. ... Mods will have to make the call whether it should be moved to over-18 section.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r...1601968953

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
11-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I 'like' your post 'cos of all the hard work you put in Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
11-07-2014, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 07:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-07-2014 07:06 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 07:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nice analysis of a completely uninteresting topic. Now give me your analysis of how Brazil got fucked in orifices they didn't even know they had by Germany. ... Mods will have to make the call whether it should be moved to over-18 section.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r...1601968953

Oh my God! Don't do this! Don't do it! Don't do it!!! .... Oh my God in Heaven! ... got hiccups again, ... hic ... hope I still got vinegar. Big Grin

#sigh
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 07:38 PM by Revenant77x.)
(11-07-2014 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 07:06 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r...1601968953

Oh my God! ... got hiccups again, ... hic ... hope I still got vinegar. Big Grin

I want Jim Ross and John Madden to call the world cup. I would watch every second of it. That would be the greatest sportscasting event ever.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-07-2014, 07:36 PM
(11-07-2014 07:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh my God! ... got hiccups again, ... hic ... hope I still got vinegar. Big Grin

I want Jim Ross and John Madden to call the world cup. I would watch every second of it. That would be the greatest sportscasting even ever.

Have Gus Johnson in there too!

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
11-07-2014, 07:46 PM
The Brits have cute uniforms.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-07-2014, 09:10 PM
(11-07-2014 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The Brits have cute uniforms.

You're lookin at the *uniforms* ? Facepalm

"Where England went wrong"
Well, it all started when they let Becket back in without signing the Constitutions of Clarendon.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Simple, the moment that sealed Brazil's fate came in the previous game against Colombia. Thiago Silva, Brazil's captain and key defender, got himself yellow carded for a stupidly needless block on the Colombia keeper as he went to kick the ball. This meant he was suspended for the match against Germany and could play no part.

Brazil play with a back four; a right back, a left back, and two centre backs. Either Maicon or Dani Alves play right back, Marcelo plays left back, and Thiago Silva and David Luiz play centre back. In their set up the right and left backs are reasonably free to attack but also have defensive responsibilities to fulfill, the centre backs should be back defending at all times in open play and should not be looking to attack other than to go forward for corners or offensive free-kicks.

David Luiz is a defensive liability for Brazil. He's a good footballer but he has a tendency to be reckless in charging out of position to try and join the attack when, as a centre back, he cannot afford to do so (tbh he is far better off being played in midfield). Usually, Thiago Silva acts as the calming presence next to David Luiz, making sure he doesn't do anything to stupid and generally organising the defense and leading the team.

With Thiago Silva playing the Brazil manager, in a fit of stupidity, made David Luiz the captain for the Germany game. Not only did this mean Brazil had a maverick and irresponsible defender in charge of organising the defense, but it made him even more defensively irresponsible as he seemed to feel that, as captain, he needed to charge forward at every opportunity to help Brazil win the game. This meant that Brazil were hopelessly disorganised and outnumbered whenever Germany attacked. This was made even worse by Marcelo shirking practically all of his defensive responsibilities as well. David Luiz is also prone to lapses in concentration and his defensive concentration fell through the floor as Brazil fell further behind. Watch the Germany goals and you'll see that for practically all of them David Luiz (guy with the hair like Sideshow Bob) is either standing there not reacting nearly quick enough, or is simply not there at all.

Add to that that Germany were very good. They have a strong midfield filled with very technically gifted players, those players outplayed the Brazil midfield and controlled the game.

Brazil also had major problems on the rare occasions that they did attack. Aside from Neymar none of their forwards have really excelled. With Neymar out injured the responsibility of being the focal point of their attack fell to centre forward Fred. Fred shouldn't have been playing, he's been awful all tournament and was equally woeful here. Since the first match he has just seemed uninterested, he's been easy for defenses to deal with as he's not appeared to put in any effort at all. Without a focal point for their attack Brazil struggled to break through Germany's well organised defense. On the rare occasions they did they were met by the best keeper in the world in Manuel Neuer and simply couldn't beat him.

All in all the blame has to fall on the manager. Brazil have been pretty bad all tournament and were lucky to get this far. There is no justification for the continual selection of Fred in attack but the thing that really cost them against Germany was the decision to make David Luiz captain. I feel sorry for David Luiz, he was put in a position that he clearly shouldn't have been put in and he would never be able to handle. The manager has to be accountable for that.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post