Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: Where Would You Live?
Considering that the perfect place for me would have :
- a mild climate, no harsh winter and a lot of sun
- breathtaking nature
- great music scene

My choice would definitely be somewhere along the west coast.
Maybe north California for the sun and the surf. I would also be very tempted by Seattle and Vancouver.
Seattle for the music (they say grunge is dead, but not for me !) and Vancouver because I love Canada and that's the only place where it's not freezing cold.

But, my only fear would be that those places are full of new age hippies and I would rather settle in a place where I can make some atheist friends !
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
09-12-2016, 05:24 AM
Hi,

I would live in Belgium. Nearly everyone speaks English, the climate is similar to the UK; food, art, music scenes all good. But the best of all is that they are in the EU!!

ThumbsupCoolBowingClapSmokinYesBig GrinBanana_zorroDrinking Beverage

Good coffee too, and the cakes, the chocolate. Tongue

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
09-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Of the places I have lived already, I love where I'm living now and would just as soon stay here in Hill Country. I loved living in Andalucia in Southern Spain, and have given thought to retiring there. The Central Coast of California, somewhere between SLO and Santa Cruz, also speaks to me.

Of the places I've never been, I'd imagine the Italian Riviera would be cool; I'd give that a shot. Or some little island in the tropics.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-12-2016, 12:29 PM
(09-12-2016 05:24 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  I would live in Belgium.

I lived in Belgium for 6 years, so I have to like that ! People are nice, and don't forget the great beers !
But I decided to move because of a lot of drawbacks there, when I chose which country I would like better than Belgium, UK was among my toplist Smile

(09-12-2016 05:24 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Nearly everyone speaks English, the climate is similar to the UK; food, art, music scenes all good.

The north part (flemish part) is like that, the south (french part) is quite different, almost nobody speaks english and the weather is so bad that it would make UK look like southern Spain !

Have you ever visited the Netherlands ? Because everything you like about Belgium is the same in the Netherlands, but better Smile
I finally settled there, I'm just struggling a lot with the language, because even though they are all very good in english, I have to learn the language at some point, and that's a pain !
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
09-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I'm sick of moving around, but I'd likely say Pittsburgh, PA.
[+] 1 user Likes Skyhawk's post
09-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Toscana

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-12-2016, 02:19 AM
(09-12-2016 12:29 PM)Sturm Wrote:  

I lived in Belgium for 6 years, so I have to like that ! People are nice, and don't forget the great beers !
But I decided to move because of a lot of drawbacks there, when I chose which country I would like better than Belgium, UK was among my toplist Smile

(09-12-2016 05:24 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Nearly everyone speaks English, the climate is similar to the UK; food, art, music scenes all good.

The north part (flemish part) is like that, the south (french part) is quite different, almost nobody speaks english and the weather is so bad that it would make UK look like southern Spain !

Have you ever visited the Netherlands ? Because everything you like about Belgium is the same in the Netherlands, but better Smile
I finally settled there, I'm just struggling a lot with the language, because even though they are all very good in english, I have to learn the language at some point, and that's a pain !

Hi Sturm,

I had a friend who lived in Amsterdam and met a nice girl there. He called the people 'cloggies' which I thought was a bit mean.

Haven't been in the Netherlands, but often to Belgium. I see your point about the French speaking part of Belgium. In my experience the French are not easily international and defend their language vigorously.

Sounds like you are in a nice place, and made a good choice. Smile

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
10-12-2016, 04:16 AM
(10-12-2016 02:19 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi Sturm,

I had a friend who lived in Amsterdam and met a nice girl there.

D.

Do go on. Angel

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-12-2016, 04:45 AM
(09-12-2016 12:29 PM)Sturm Wrote:  

I lived in the Netherlands for 10 years and enjoyed it. Dutch is a hard language to learn especially in a country where everybody speaks English. Just persevere, do your shopping using Dutch, if the shop keeper replies in English, just answer back in Dutch. I came back to Ireland 18 years ago and Dutch came in handy. I work customer relations for a large company. I work for the Dutch / Belgian department and I speak Dutch and Flemish everyday day. In fact I speak more Dutch here in Ireland than I ever did in the Netherlands.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
10-12-2016, 01:15 PM
(10-12-2016 02:19 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Haven't been in the Netherlands, but often to Belgium. I see your point about the French speaking part of Belgium. In my experience the French are not easily international and defend their language vigorously.

Sounds like you are in a nice place, and made a good choice. Smile

I'll learn the language, but I won't wear the clogs Smile

We (french) are very bad with foreign languages ! Sometimes I wonder if it's not the reason why so many french defend their language, just because it's easier than to admit they don't speak anything else !

(10-12-2016 04:45 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I lived in the Netherlands for 10 years and enjoyed it. Dutch is a hard language to learn especially in a country where everybody speaks English. Just persevere, do your shopping using Dutch, if the shop keeper replies in English, just answer back in Dutch. I came back to Ireland 18 years ago and Dutch came in handy. I work customer relations for a large company. I work for the Dutch / Belgian department and I speak Dutch and Flemish everyday day. In fact I speak more Dutch here in Ireland than I ever did in the Netherlands.

Thank you for the encouragement Smile Yes, it's indeed very hard to pratice since a lot of people answer in english as soon as they hear I'm not dutch. I've finally signed up for dutch lessons, I take courses twice a week, it's a lot to learn (all my free time is dedicated to homework atm), sometimes I have a hard time keeping the motivation (like, "ok I give up, now I'll only speak english", or "why did I ever choose to move in a country where I don't speak the tongue"), but if I manage to follow the pace, I think it would be nice to speak it, I would feel more integrated, and I think I'm starting to enjoy speaking a language I barely master, I probably make a fool of myself, but it's fun somehow.