Where are Gnostics coming from?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 07:06 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
I feel the honest truth is that it's pretty safe to say nobody has 100% certainty of anything. This makes gnostics look like but jobs. How do gnostics defend themselves against the previous statement? What grounds to gnostics stand on? In other words how would a gnostic person persuade me or anyone to become gnostic? Where are they coming from?

*edited* the word gnostic was accidentally capitalized due to iphone autocorrect

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 06:43 PM
RE: Where are Gnostics coming from?
(31-05-2014 06:38 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I feel the honest truth is that it's pretty safe to say nobody has 100% certainty of anything. This makes Gnostics look like but jobs. How do Gnostics defend themselves against the previous statement? What grounds to Gnostics stand on? In other words how would a gnostic person persuade me or anyone to become gnostic? Where are they coming from?

It's selective, at least with Gnostic theists. They claim no one can know anything 100% when presented with evidence yet also claim that they Know (always with a capital letter or completely upper case) that their own belief is true.

If no one can have 100% certainty about anything then 'Gnostic' should be a pointless definition. It's not though all the while the gnostic theists use the strawman argument that atheism is a belief.
31-05-2014, 06:43 PM
If you're capitalising the word like that, you're calling to mind something else entirely...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 06:48 PM
(31-05-2014 06:43 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If you're capitalising the word like that, you're calling to mind something else entirely...

Good point.

Sooowwweeee.
31-05-2014, 06:51 PM
(31-05-2014 06:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 06:43 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If you're capitalising the word like that, you're calling to mind something else entirely...

Good point.

Sooowwweeee.

To be fair, you were just following OP's slightly odd usage...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 07:04 PM
It autocorrected. I didn't mean to capitalize the word gnostic. I fixed it

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
01-06-2014, 07:58 AM
It depends on what it means to know. I know the Christian God doesn't exist as surely as I know my wife is faithful. Am I gnostic?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Most everything in life in known 100%.
I know a chair is a chair. I know my laptop is a laptop. There are very rare occasions when I don't know what something is at least in the general sense and definition of that something.

There are nearly just as many things that I am clueless about, but saying that nothing can be known with 100% accuracy is just wrong because we define things. We give a rock the title of rock because we said so.

It doesn't mean that we can't be fooled by forgery, so we have to be skeptical. When we add evidence to our general understanding we can support our ideas. Our understanding of complex issues will most probably never be 100% but each fact concerning the complex idea can be known 100%

Its like having every part of a motorcycle stripped down on your living room floor. A stranger can walk in and know with 100% accuracy what every part is but not have a clue how they all work together.

It all depends on what you are claiming you are Gnostic about. I am gnot Gnostic about grammar but I do make the attempt. I haven't a clue how capitalizing a word in the middle of a sentence changes its meaning.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
01-06-2014, 08:31 AM
(31-05-2014 06:38 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  This makes gnostics look like but jobs.

Who the fuck you calling but job? Angry

Anyhoo, I feel the same about you Aggie motherfuckers. Running around with your smug self-righteousness spouting "I don't know everything and neither do you!" Do you also start every sentence saying "I am human?" Such things are trivial.

Not a hunnert 'certain of nuttin' but a hunnert 'cent certain gnostics are but jobs. Hunnert 'cent certain Aggie is the only intellectually honest position. Go, you. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
True and sure I am 100% certain 2+2=4. I should be more careful with my wording and be more specific. I was talking about being 100% certain there is a God vs is not a God. It's looking like most people here are agnostic atheists. Anyone got some suggestions on some good threads to read? Thanks for the input peeps Smile

If someone hasn't figured it out already, I meant 'nut job' not 'but job' obviously. Another typo. My b.