Where are you from? v3

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-12-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Where are you from? v3
Glyndon, Maryland, USA

... and pleased to have found this site! Glyndon contains Emory Grove, which is the small historic area in which I live. There are 5 churches within 3 miles of my house, which is of no concern for me... my wife does get a chuckle however! From the historic registers:

"Emory Grove in Glyndon has been a serene religious retreat since 1868.
This 62-acre, interdenominational religious retreat is composed of 47 small, privately owned cottages, a large open-air pavilion called the Tabernacle and a stately, three-story, 1887 hotel that is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was founded in 1868 as an Methodist camp meeting site during the post-Civil War religious reawakening." There is a historic sign at the entrance to my street, which I'll have to get a picture of and post at some point: states something to the effect of one of the oldest religious retreats in the country.

I suppose that puts me squarely, but joyfully, in the belly of the beast!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Originally from Flint Michigan (UGH)! Currently in central Florida (wide asses, narrow minds). Stops in-between: Tucson AZ, San Jose, CA, Colorado Springs CO, and Raleigh NC.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
(29-11-2015 03:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Where in AK?? I lived in Anchorage and Kodiak in 79-81...

So did I at the same time! I'm in Michigan now. Isn't that where you are? I was a corpsman, USCG, at the Support Center hospital.
01-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Updated.

Errington, BC, Canada. (Mid Vancouver Island)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
31-01-2016, 05:58 PM
I am American, first generation. I was born in Queens NY, moved to New Jersey, then lived in the midwest, finally settled here in Maine for about ten years.
31-01-2016, 11:48 PM
(31-01-2016 05:58 PM)carol Wrote:  I am American, first generation. I was born in Queens NY, moved to New Jersey, then lived in the midwest, finally settled here in Maine for about ten years.

In the long long ago, in the dreamtime, when I were a little kiddie-poo, we had this beautiful pencil drawn book called "One morning in Maine"... That's all I know about Maine, is that it's close to the sea, 'cos there were boats in them pictures.

Hah. I just googled it. Might buy it for my nephew Smile Not Maine. The book.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-02-2016, 07:22 AM
(31-01-2016 05:58 PM)carol Wrote:  I am American, first generation. I was born in Queens NY, moved to New Jersey, then lived in the midwest, finally settled here in Maine for about ten years.

Southern? Coastal? North?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2016, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 05:18 PM by carol.)
(31-01-2016 11:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  

In the long long ago, in the dreamtime, when I were a little kiddie-poo, we had this beautiful pencil drawn book called "One morning in Maine"... That's all I know about Maine, is that it's close to the sea, 'cos there were boats in them pictures.

Hah. I just googled it. Might buy it for my nephew Smile Not Maine. The book.

Would you please reconsider the purchase of Maine? We are very picturesque, have wonderful accents and tend to be quiet and polite, having been influenced for so many years by intermarrage between and learning from our Canadian neighbors. (They have patiently and subtly modeled their behavior for so many years)

You could offer the basic rights most civilized societies have-healthcare, childcare, equal pay.

I live near wilderness, consisting of tall pines and rocky, hard to farm soil filled with enormous boulders. I have daily encounters with wild critters such as fishercats, wild turkey and deer, moose, wolf and fox, an occasional black bear. I heat with a wood stove and kerosene heaters. I drink well water. I built a little house using mostly local pine, and grow veggies, have fruit trees and raise bees. There is a lake a walk away from my house that freezes hard enough for trucks to drive on and people build shacks on it. We have a very long winter, snow usually drifts to the second story of my house (not this winter) and very short days in winter because we are so far north. The stars at night are so bright. In summer it becomes like a rainforest and everything grows so quickly.
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
(01-02-2016 07:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Southern? Coastal? North?

Southern Maine here, a tiny farm in a half rural, half wild area on the edge of a small mountain. Lots of rocky land, small lakes and wild turkey. ( The birds and the alcohol) Tall pines and under brush that grows like wildfire. Ayah.
01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Forgive a curious man, but I think you mentioned earlier that you had found your love, where is the bugger? You said *you* did all the farming and house building? That's impressive Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post