Where did podcast go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Where did podcast go?
Hi all,

I noticed recently that my podcast player (Downcast) hadn't offered up any TTA in a while, so I looked and the last episode was in October. But the web site looks like it has more.

I tried to find whether the RSS location had been updated, but I'm having no luck.

Did something change in October?

What RSS feed should I be using to get new episodes?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2018, 02:58 PM
RE: Where did podcast go?
Can't you just pull it off the web site?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Pull what exactly? The URL I seemed to find is http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinkingatheist/podcast

But Downcast tells me there are no episodes.

The old URL that I had been using was feeds.feedburner.com/TheThinkingAtheistPodcast but this one has no episodes since 10/17/2017.

What URL should I be using for the RSS feed?
30-01-2018, 03:22 PM
try Youtube.

Or iTunes store.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Somehow we seem to be on completely different pages.

Let's start at the beginning. Someone creates a podcast series of episodes, which are made available as downloadable files (usually audio). In addition, there is an index to these files, listing titles, file sizes, notes, and the location of each audio episode file. This index file is the master library of the podcast, and it's in a standard format: XML tags, with standard ways of indicating these key points. The index file is called an "RSS."

A user's podcast client "subscribes" to the podcast by periodically checking this RSS index file and seeing if there are new episodes available. Most podcast clients can be set to automatically download new episodes, or just make the user aware that they're available, and the client keeps track of which ones have been listened to.

Are we still on the same page?

The RSS file that I had been subscribing to for years, using my Downcast podcast client, was at http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheThinkingAtheistPodcast .

My client tells me that the last available episode from here was on October 17. I don't think that RSS still exists; I think that Downcast is just using a version it got months ago. That leads me to believe that the TTA podcast RSS location was moved, but I didn't ever hear about its moving. I've been searching the web site here looking for where it is now, and I don't seem to have found it. I would like to type in the new URL of the RSS file into my Downcast client so that I will again be subscribed.

I don't know what this would have to do with YouTube or iTunes.
30-01-2018, 05:12 PM
(30-01-2018 04:54 PM)Frayed Knot Wrote:  Somehow we seem to be on completely different pages.

Let's start at the beginning. Someone creates a podcast series of episodes, which are made available as downloadable files (usually audio). In addition, there is an index to these files, listing titles, file sizes, notes, and the location of each audio episode file. This index file is the master library of the podcast, and it's in a standard format: XML tags, with standard ways of indicating these key points. The index file is called an "RSS."

A user's podcast client "subscribes" to the podcast by periodically checking this RSS index file and seeing if there are new episodes available. Most podcast clients can be set to automatically download new episodes, or just make the user aware that they're available, and the client keeps track of which ones have been listened to.

Are we still on the same page?

The RSS file that I had been subscribing to for years, using my Downcast podcast client, was at http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheThinkingAtheistPodcast .

My client tells me that the last available episode from here was on October 17. I don't think that RSS still exists; I think that Downcast is just using a version it got months ago. That leads me to believe that the TTA podcast RSS location was moved, but I didn't ever hear about its moving. I've been searching the web site here looking for where it is now, and I don't seem to have found it. I would like to type in the new URL of the RSS file into my Downcast client so that I will again be subscribed.

I don't know what this would have to do with YouTube or iTunes.

Try this one. This is an rss url.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinkingatheist/podcast

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze

[Image: uj9MSSa.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
30-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Thank you JDog, that worked. I thought I had already tried that, but earlier when typing something in I realized I typed athiest instead of atheist (which I get irritated by if someone else does it!).

Working now.

I must have been using an old RSS location from years ago that finally stopped getting updated.
[+] 1 user Likes Frayed Knot's post
30-01-2018, 05:39 PM
(30-01-2018 05:24 PM)Frayed Knot Wrote:  Thank you JDog, that worked. I thought I had already tried that, but earlier when typing something in I realized I typed athiest instead of atheist (which I get irritated by if someone else does it!).

Working now.

I must have been using an old RSS location from years ago that finally stopped getting updated.

You're welcome, glad it's working again.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze

[Image: uj9MSSa.gif]