Where do I fit in politically?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Rainbow Where do I fit in politically?
Here's the deal. I'm 28, an atheist, a lesbian, a medical technician, way below the financial means of the 'One Percent', a former foster child, a caring aunt, and so much more. I don't like abortion but see the necessity of it in extreme cases. I like the idea of the government supporting *some* social programs like teaching children to choose the right foods for a healthy diet. At the same time, I don't believe the government should continue to give handouts to every person who is too lazy to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there who are legitimately handicapped and need government assistance, but then there are those who just don't want to do for themselves. Ideally I would like to see more programs that promote independent living and job skills because a lot of these people mooching off the government are only perpetuating a cycle that has gone on in their own families for generations. Speaking as a former foster child, I know that if a person is intelligent enough, (and most of them are, they have just been judged their whole lives and told that they aren't any better than their parents) they have great potential to contribute to society. In my opinion, America has become a lot like foster parents who give up on their children too soon. If my own foster parents and group home staff had given up on me instead of showing me how I can make more of myself, I might be just another statistic. I realize this is idealistic thinking, but why can't the people who lead this country see the worth in those who can contribute and set programs in place that will teach the masses reaching out for government money. Eventually the cycle would end, as it has in my own life and the lives of several other foster kids I know out there who have proven their worth.
Okay, so I know I've strayed off topic. What I really want to know as an atheist, a lesbian, a health care worker, a person with ideals that seemed far-fetched at this point in time, is which political party, (if any), do I fit in? I'm not asking who I should vote for because I've already made my mind up on that front, I just feel more comfortable when I can put a name to things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't Panic...and carry a towel. Thumbsup ...Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: Where do I fit in politically?
(22-10-2012 12:00 PM)aunts1384 Wrote:  Here's the deal. I'm 28, an atheist, a lesbian, a medical technician, way below the financial means of the 'One Percent', a former foster child, a caring aunt, and so much more. I don't like abortion but see the necessity of it in extreme cases. I like the idea of the government supporting *some* social programs like teaching children to choose the right foods for a healthy diet. At the same time, I don't believe the government should continue to give handouts to every person who is too lazy to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there who are legitimately handicapped and need government assistance, but then there are those who just don't want to do for themselves. Ideally I would like to see more programs that promote independent living and job skills because a lot of these people mooching off the government are only perpetuating a cycle that has gone on in their own families for generations. Speaking as a former foster child, I know that if a person is intelligent enough, (and most of them are, they have just been judged their whole lives and told that they aren't any better than their parents) they have great potential to contribute to society. In my opinion, America has become a lot like foster parents who give up on their children too soon. If my own foster parents and group home staff had given up on me instead of showing me how I can make more of myself, I might be just another statistic. I realize this is idealistic thinking, but why can't the people who lead this country see the worth in those who can contribute and set programs in place that will teach the masses reaching out for government money. Eventually the cycle would end, as it has in my own life and the lives of several other foster kids I know out there who have proven their worth.
Okay, so I know I've strayed off topic. What I really want to know as an atheist, a lesbian, a health care worker, a person with ideals that seemed far-fetched at this point in time, is which political party, (if any), do I fit in? I'm not asking who I should vote for because I've already made my mind up on that front, I just feel more comfortable when I can put a name to things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once upon a time, you might have made a good Ronald Reagan Republican. That GOP doesn't exist anymore though. Sad I think a lot of people, like you and I are asking the question of where do we fit because Dems and Reps have polarized the extremes and normal, reasonable people don't really fit with either party the way they both stand today.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Re: RE: Where do I fit in politically?
(22-10-2012 01:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 12:00 PM)aunts1384 Wrote:  Here's the deal. I'm 28, an atheist, a lesbian, a medical technician, way below the financial means of the 'One Percent', a former foster child, a caring aunt, and so much more. I don't like abortion but see the necessity of it in extreme cases. I like the idea of the government supporting *some* social programs like teaching children to choose the right foods for a healthy diet. At the same time, I don't believe the government should continue to give handouts to every person who is too lazy to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there who are legitimately handicapped and need government assistance, but then there are those who just don't want to do for themselves. Ideally I would like to see more programs that promote independent living and job skills because a lot of these people mooching off the government are only perpetuating a cycle that has gone on in their own families for generations. Speaking as a former foster child, I know that if a person is intelligent enough, (and most of them are, they have just been judged their whole lives and told that they aren't any better than their parents) they have great potential to contribute to society. In my opinion, America has become a lot like foster parents who give up on their children too soon. If my own foster parents and group home staff had given up on me instead of showing me how I can make more of myself, I might be just another statistic. I realize this is idealistic thinking, but why can't the people who lead this country see the worth in those who can contribute and set programs in place that will teach the masses reaching out for government money. Eventually the cycle would end, as it has in my own life and the lives of several other foster kids I know out there who have proven their worth.

Once upon a time, you might have made a good Ronald Reagan Republican. That GOP doesn't exist anymore though. Sad I think a lot of people, like you and I are asking the question of where do we fit because Dems and Reps have polarized the extremes and normal, reasonable people don't really fit with either party the way they both stand today.

They aren't polarized extremes much at all. The democratic party these days is close in relating to that Reagan conservative range. They are far from liberal while the GOP pushes more extreme to the right lately.

Id say you fit in line with the current democratic party that is very centrist In Action recently. Despite what some may say as attacks, they aren't fully in for huge duckets in social programs but do encourage some.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-10-2012, 04:11 PM
You sound similar to me. Socially liberal, economically moderate. About the best you and I can hope for are the socially moderate and economically moderate Democrats. The only major party pushing social liberalism at the moment are the Libertarians, and they've married it to complete Ayn Randian lassez-faire capitalism (economically radical).

The Republicans, as we all know, are socially regressive and economically conservative.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
28-10-2012, 03:25 AM
With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), who gives a fuck? Ultimately, Man is not fit to lead Man. Doesn't matter the party or their plan of action; it will become a total farce. Politics are nothing more than the blind leading the blind. That's because humans are (god help me) like snowflakes. My idea of a perfect world is going to infuriate the sensibilities of someone reading this post.

With that being the case, I honestly don't see the point of seeking a political identity. I might as well seek to learn what kind of wizard or Glendorf (totally made that word up) I'd be in a Harry Potter role-play game. It's stupid and irrelevant.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Just vote Obama.
Cuntface (Romney) is a total douche.

I assume that this is about who you should vote for.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post