Where do souls come from?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Where do souls come from?
According to bible there were only 2 people in the beginning who started reproducing.
However if there were only 2 people where do all the other souls of newborns come from?
Is there a machine in heaven which is printing souls?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2014, 02:47 PM
RE: Where do souls come from?
Of course there is. When mine was printed, the machine was out of everything but black ink. Evil_monster

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 11 users Like evenheathen's post
02-03-2014, 02:47 PM
I can't see why God couldn't just give each newborn a soul. I mean, he apparently did that with the presumably full-grown Adam and Unnamed Woman. Obviously, I don't believe any of this stuff, but I don't see a legitimate point in your objection. Overruled.

Elkman's Malevolent Overlord
[Image: ezgif.com-resize.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
So when parents decide to get sex and get pregnant god creates new immortal soul?
So people decide when god should create an indestructible entity?
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
(02-03-2014 02:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So when parents decide to get sex and get pregnant god creates new immortal soul?

Well, they certainly decide when to create another person, and if having a soul is part of being human, then I suppose, yes.

Elkman's Malevolent Overlord
[Image: ezgif.com-resize.gif]
02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
(02-03-2014 02:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So when parents decide to get sex and get pregnant god creates new immortal soul?

No, silly. God makes people horny so that he can print a new one. Of course, if the conditions aren't right he'll burn their souls in hell when they die, but whether or not the conditions are right he still makes them horny. It's a fun game. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
02-03-2014, 03:51 PM
(02-03-2014 02:40 PM)donotwant Wrote:  According to bible there were only 2 people in the beginning who started reproducing.
However if there were only 2 people where do all the other souls of newborns come from?
Why do you ask questions like this on an atheist forum? This seems like a question for those who believe in souls.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Conceptually I always thought of a soul as something the body creates over time, like gall stones, only emerging from the body after a great deal of pain and suffering.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
[Image: 220px-Grimm%27s_Kinder-_und_Hausm%C3%A4r....cover.jpg]

otherwise known as :

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
(02-03-2014 02:40 PM)donotwant Wrote:  According to bible there were only 2 people in the beginning who started reproducing.

I don't know what you mean by the soul. I think of my consciousness as my soul. I think it is an emergent property of the brain. I don't think there is any reason to consider what the bible has to say.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post