Where do the modern day Christian beliefs and doctrines come from?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Where do the modern day Christian beliefs and doctrines come from?
My talk on the history of Judeo-Christian doctrines in my book, Manifest Insanity, is now available.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Where do the modern day Christian beliefs and doctrines come from?
Currently watching it now!

P.S. I would buy the book, but my parents would murder me if they knew that I spent my money on it...

Sorry Sad

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 04:17 AM
I just bought the book (I think for the second time, I think first time it disappeared for the reason I'm about to give.)

A word of warning. I have a 2010 MacBook pro and I went to iTunes and downloaded (and paid for) the book only to be told that it couldn't read it on my laptop because I didn't have "ibook."

Luckily my partner does have "ibook" on her ipad, and she knew how to transfer it across to that....so now I'll be able to read it.

Now...to find the time to read it.
20-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Just watched your video. Well done!

You and I are very similar.

I'm now really looking forward to reading the book.

If you do another video, it would be a good idea to put a bit more in about Jesus and Paul.
20-06-2013, 08:35 AM
(19-06-2013 09:41 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  My talk on the history of Judeo-Christian doctrines in my book, Manifest Insanity, is now available.

Your video was very illuminating, next is your book.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-06-2013, 09:10 AM
(19-06-2013 09:41 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  My talk on the history of Judeo-Christian doctrines in my book, Manifest Insanity, is now available.

How do learn to think for your self, and stop worrying is to take classes in logic, critical thinking, and basic psychology.

In the states getting to know a bit about how the psychology of filming and advertising works is essential. Add to that knowing the difference between a good source, bad source, and looking for possible research biases.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I've read the first 50 pages and I must say I'm extremely impressed! It is very well written. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. On what I've read so far I recommend this book to everyone
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
20-06-2013, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 08:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I liked the video, so I'll probably get the book also.
A couple points I like a lot.
1. The point about camels. The domestication and widespread use of camels peaked in the mid first millennium BCE period, as he says. Fundies often point to a camel here or there in ancient royal palace art to dispute this, but we know that ROYAL use was not "common use". And we know when the trade caravans were at their peak, (mostly to Arabia), and when camel bones show their largest use, (and breeding .. ie before the period mentioned there are very few, if any baby camel bones, so they know they were not in widespread use, or bred for widespread use). It's actually more important, (in my opinion), in disputing certain Muslim claims, but that's beside the point.
2. The business of a large amount of Sumerian sources used.

Of course there was no concept of "plagiarism", so the syncretic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncretism
use of many myth systems was widely done, and by itself doesn't invalidate anything. They also used a lot of Egyptian proverbs, and the Ten Commandments came from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.
http://edward.de.leau.net/the-10-command...70513.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_of_Amenemopet

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone, and especially to those who have or will purchase the book; I am humbled by your generosity. As to more videos/content, I only got through about 10% of the material I had during that talk, and so the organizers said, "Fantastic, we can have you come back again and do another talk."

Bucky, thanks for bringing to my attention the difference between syncretism and plagiarism. I will look into that more.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
22-06-2013, 04:11 AM
I've purchased your book and look forward to reading it

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post