Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
Or is there a line at all? If we define being a Christian as many Christians do and say that a Christian is a "Christ-follower", then what happens when you follow his teachings in how you conduct yourself, but don't believe a God exists (or even that Jesus existed)? Is it possible then to be both an atheist and a Christian? Are the two mutually exclusive as we tend to regard them? Where would you draw the line on this issue?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 07:39 PM
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
Jesus was said to be the son of god, and also god himself.
If you follow the teachings of jesus, it follows that you believe he existed.
That makes you a christian, christians believe in god. Christians cannot, by definition be atheists.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
12-05-2015, 07:41 PM
(12-05-2015 07:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  Jesus was said to be the son of god, and also god himself.
That makes you a christian, christians believe in god. Christians cannot, by definition be atheists.

Therefore someone who follows all of Jesus' moral teachings without believing in His existence is an atheist?
12-05-2015, 07:43 PM
(12-05-2015 07:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  Jesus was said to be the son of god, and also god himself.

Therefore anyone who follows all of Jesus' moral teachings without believing in any deity is an atheist and not a Christian?
I dunno, depends on context and definitions. I consider myself Christlike in many ways, depending on one's definition of Christlike and how one interprets Jesus' actions. In the same vein, I'm nothing like Jesus, depending on context and interpretation.

But I'm no Christian, that I can tell you.

OP is vague, not sure what you're asking...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco

There are some atheists who are cultural christians--meaning they don't believe in god but they identify as christian as a part of their heritage.
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 07:49 PM
(12-05-2015 07:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I dunno, depends on context and definitions. I consider myself Christlike in many ways, depending on one's definition of Christlike and how one interprets Jesus' actions. In the same vein, I'm nothing like Jesus, depending on context and interpretation.

But I'm no Christian, that I can tell you.

OP is vague, not sure what you're asking...

I'm essentially asking if you think atheism and Christianity are mutually exclusive and if so, how.
12-05-2015, 07:51 PM
The moral teachings attributed to jesus are not unique to him and the myth. Calling him god is unique to christians. Christianity is theerfore theism, which is the opposite of atheism.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post
12-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Do you follow jesus to the letter? Strictly by the book, no picking and choosing? No personal interpretations of his word and how to apply it to your life?
Doesn't following his word have an end goal of eternal reward?
Are you giving jesus the credit for your own principles?
12-05-2015, 07:56 PM
I think it's an interesting thought. But you need to define "christian" and then check if that definition will be assumed to be right by the majority of people, otherwise you will end up giving the wrong impression.

The way you mean it, I am a better christian than most christians. But that is a totally confusing statement. If I told my christian friends that, they would think I converted.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post