Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2015, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 01:44 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
(24-05-2015 09:26 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  If not being the sharpest in the context of your original comment wasn't referring to them being idiotic, then what was it referring to?

To you know not being sharpest guys around maybe? Those who aren't smartest you would classify as idiots?

(24-05-2015 09:26 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  If Jesus' followers aren't considered Christians. then what is a Christian? Or, if you're referring to the literal people who walked around following Jesus, you're presuming they actually existed? That would be interesting.

You understand what I write? Why would Jesus followers wouldn't be considered Christians? You trolling or something?

And what would be interesting in Jesus existing and maybe even having some followers? It would not be first preacher who managed to catch the interest of someone.

(24-05-2015 09:26 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Yes, I've already agreed that being indoctrinated isn't the same as being an idiot. Though now that I consider it further, if you're indoctrinatable, that means that you lack some form of knowledge and are thus ignorant. ignorant+negative connotation = idiot. The argument could be made.

Indoctrination of which we speak happen quite early. It's not about lack of knowledge but trust in parents and/or other adults. About being child raised in certain way.

And argument could be made, but it is pretty weak I think - being indoctrinated means rather being wilfully blind to certain things than being stupid.

[Image: choose.png]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-05-2015, 03:14 PM
(25-05-2015 01:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  [...]
To you know not being sharpest guys around maybe? Those who aren't smartest you would classify as idiots?

[...]
You understand what I write? Why would Jesus followers wouldn't be considered Christians? You trolling or something?

And what would be interesting in Jesus existing and maybe even having some followers? It would not be first preacher who managed to catch the interest of someone.

[...]
Indoctrination of which we speak happen quite early. It's not about lack of knowledge but trust in parents and/or other adults. About being child raised in certain way.

And argument could be made, but it is pretty weak I think - being indoctrinated means rather being wilfully blind to certain things than being stupid.

Your grammar is terrible. I'd respond to what you actually said, but it's painful trying to decipher it. I will say one thing though. I didn't become a Christian because it's what I was taught by adults. I became a Christian solely because I read the 4 gospels of the Bible on my own and agreed with Jesus' teachings without any outside influence from anyone in the church. If simply reading the Bible is indoctrination, then I guess I was indoctrinated, but otherwise I knowingly chose what I believe.
25-05-2015, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 03:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-05-2015 05:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 08:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, none these individuals would classify themselves as secular humanist either, and probably have little in common with them to begin with.

Do you even know what secular humanism is? Facepalm

"Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

It doesn't matter what they self-identify as - how do they behave?

The Christian atheist ethos looks pretty much indistinguishable from humanism. The only difference seems to be a trivial metaphysical distinction that instead of God not existing the Christian atheist claims God is dead. meh. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
25-05-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 03:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-05-2015 03:14 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I became a Christian solely because I read the 4 gospels of the Bible on my own and agreed with Jesus' teachings without any outside influence from anyone in the church.

Jesus was the OG atheist. "WTF? After all we been through you just gonna leave me hanging? Goddam. Eli Eli llama sabacthani bitch. Oh, and fuck you."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-05-2015, 03:28 PM
(25-05-2015 03:14 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 01:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  [...]

[...]

[...]

Your grammar is terrible. I'd respond to what you actually said, but it's painful trying to decipher it. I will say one thing though. I didn't become a Christian because it's what I was taught by adults. I became a Christian solely because I read the 4 gospels of the Bible on my own and agreed with Jesus' teachings without any outside influence from anyone in the church. If simply reading the Bible is indoctrination, then I guess I was indoctrinated, but otherwise I knowingly chose what I believe.

It may be, but terrible grammar is better than nonsense about not being indoctrinated and knowingly choosing the faith. Just like every other sheep in god flock Rolleyes

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-05-2015, 03:32 PM
(25-05-2015 03:14 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I became a Christian solely because I read the 4 gospels of the Bible on my own and agreed with Jesus' teachings without any outside influence from anyone in the church.

There are things in the bible that are decent and agreeing with those teachings and incorporating them into your worldview is perfectly valid and reasonable. Accepting the supernatural components makes no sense at all since there is no evidence for any of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-05-2015, 03:36 PM
(25-05-2015 03:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

There are things in the bible that are decent and agreeing with those teachings and incorporating them into your worldview is perfectly valid and reasonable. Accepting the supernatural components makes no sense at all since there is no evidence for any of it.

That's why religion needs indoctrination. Without it Bible would be treated like any other book with superheroes, though main villain would be god I suppose.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-05-2015, 06:36 AM
(25-05-2015 03:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Christian atheist ethos looks pretty much indistinguishable from humanism. The only difference seems to be a trivial metaphysical distinction that instead of God not existing the Christian atheist claims God is dead. meh. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Well, that'd be like saying all Christians are just religious humanist. And all humanist are just non-religious Christians.

In reality humanism tends to subscribe to a certain form of moral thinking, that of sort of liberal western values, enlightenment inspired moral perceptions, that places a high value of rationalism, and science in regards to morality.
26-05-2015, 06:45 AM
(12-05-2015 07:27 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Or is there a line at all? If we define being a Christian as many Christians do and say that a Christian is a "Christ-follower", then what happens when you follow his teachings in how you conduct yourself, but don't believe a God exists (or even that Jesus existed)? Is it possible then to be both an atheist and a Christian? Are the two mutually exclusive as we tend to regard them? Where would you draw the line on this issue?

I let god draw the line Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-05-2015, 08:31 AM
(26-05-2015 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 03:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Christian atheist ethos looks pretty much indistinguishable from humanism. The only difference seems to be a trivial metaphysical distinction that instead of God not existing the Christian atheist claims God is dead. meh. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Well, that'd be like saying all Christians are just religious humanist. And all humanist are just non-religious Christians.

In reality humanism tends to subscribe to a certain form of moral thinking, that of sort of liberal western values, enlightenment inspired moral perceptions, that places a high value of rationalism, and science in regards to morality.

But not all Christians do think the teachings of Jesus are a moral code to live by. Plenty just kinda ignore that aspect of how he lives and follow in Pauls just belief system.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson