Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 08:00 PM
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
(12-05-2015 07:49 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 07:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I dunno, depends on context and definitions. I consider myself Christlike in many ways, depending on one's definition of Christlike and how one interprets Jesus' actions. In the same vein, I'm nothing like Jesus, depending on context and interpretation.

But I'm no Christian, that I can tell you.

OP is vague, not sure what you're asking...

I'm essentially asking if you think atheism and Christianity are mutually exclusive and if so, how.

Yes and no. Mutually exclusive in the sense that you can't believe in jesus and call yourself an atheist. However, I do still go to church for holidays with my family (who are catholic)--but I don't take part in communion or anything like that. It is something I do for my mom and I do still enjoy some of the Christmas music. I celebrate Christmas with my family--but I don't do it for religious reasons--I do it as a way to come together with my family.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I draw the line between the belief in a god or gods, and the lack thereof.

The former are not atheists, the latter are.

The only way to be a bad atheist is to believe in at least one god.

What are so great about Jesus' moral teaching?

He did invent eternal punishment for the finite thought crime of disbelief. Is that really the morality you want to follow? John 3:18 and Matthew 12:31-32

Matthew 5:21-26 - "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Here he establishes hate speech as worthy of eternity in Hell. How is that a good moral teaching?

Matthew 5:27-30 - "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart"

Thought crime nonsense. Having lustful thoughts is not a crime, nor is it immoral.

Matthew 6:25-34 - "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?"

Really? Don't plan for the future. Pretty bad advice. How many Christians follow this?
[+] 4 users Like Simon Moon's post
12-05-2015, 08:08 PM
(12-05-2015 08:05 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  I draw the line between the belief in a god or gods, and the lack thereof.

The former are not atheists, the latter are.

The only way to be a bad atheist is to believe in at least one god.

What is so great about Jesus' morals?

He did invent eternal punishment for the finite thought crime of disbelief. Is that really the morality you want to follow? John 3:18 and Matthew 12:31-32

Matthew 5:21-26 - "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Here he establishes hate speech as worthy of eternity in Hell. How is that a good moral teaching?

Matthew 5:27-30 - "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart"

Thought crime nonsense. Having lustful thoughts is not a crime, nor is it immoral.

Matthew 6:25-34 - "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?"

Really? Don't plan for the future. Pretty bad advice. How many Christians follow this?

I'm guessing the ones preparing for the rapture are following it Tongue

[Image: tumblr_llidvp8ZbX1qddqafo1_500.jpeg]
12-05-2015, 08:17 PM
The way I was taught a Christian MUST believe in the existence of god, the divinity of Jesus, and the soul. A person who is an atheist does not believe that a god exists, and as such does not believe in the divinity of Jesus. As such they are not a Christian.

Can they think that Jesus had good ideas? Yup. Can they respect him as a philosopher and ethical innovator? Yes. But if you don't believe that he was "divine" then you are not a Christian by the common definition. Period.
[+] 6 users Like natachan's post
12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
(12-05-2015 07:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  Do you follow jesus to the letter? Strictly by the book, no picking and choosing? No personal interpretations of his word and how to apply it to your life?
Doesn't following his word have an end goal of eternal reward?
Are you giving jesus the credit for your own principles?

You raise some good points. If the definition of a Christian doesn't require you to believe in the existence of God, then which doctrine is Christian and which isn't?

However, if you say that anyone who claims Jesus as the source of their principles is a Christian, then the issue of which doctrine is right is irrelevant. It's the claim that matters.
12-05-2015, 08:32 PM
(12-05-2015 08:24 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 07:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  Do you follow jesus to the letter? Strictly by the book, no picking and choosing? No personal interpretations of his word and how to apply it to your life?
Doesn't following his word have an end goal of eternal reward?
Are you giving jesus the credit for your own principles?

You raise some good points. If the definition of a Christian doesn't require you to believe in the existence of God, then which doctrine is Christian and which isn't?

However, if you say that anyone who claims Jesus as the source of their principles is a Christian, then the issue of which doctrine is right is irrelevant. It's the claim that matters.

Claiming to be Christian while having no belief in his divinity has no benefit. Unless confusion is what you wanted to achieve.
I may have some of the same beliefs as jesus, that does not mean he was the first to think of them. It also doesn't make me a christian.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
12-05-2015, 08:35 PM
You can make up any definition you want to. If you expect to communicate with others, then you have to use definitions held in common. The word "christian" conveys certain common meanings. If one accepts what are generally accepted common meanings, then it includes theism. If one does not want to be counted as a theist, there are other labels that are available, (such as "humanist").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-05-2015, 08:44 PM
(12-05-2015 08:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  Claiming to be Christian while having no belief in his divinity has no benefit. Unless confusion is what you wanted to achieve.
I may have some of the same beliefs as jesus, that does not mean he was the first to think of them. It also doesn't make me a christian.

I can't say I agree that it would have no benefit. After all, the moment you stop claiming to be a Christian, Christians will tend to look down on your views and think they hold less weight. If you quote bible verses at me, it's not the same as a Christian doing the same thing.
12-05-2015, 08:53 PM
(12-05-2015 08:44 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 08:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  Claiming to be Christian while having no belief in his divinity has no benefit. Unless confusion is what you wanted to achieve.

I can't say I agree that it would have no benefit. After all, the moment you stop claiming to be a Christian, Christians will tend to look down on your views and think they hold less weight. If you quote bible verses at me, it's not the same as a Christian doing the same thing.

All this means is that lieing is appealing. If you don't hold theistic beliefs, then you aren't a Christian. If you say you are in order to gain some sort of social acceptance, you are a liar. Just because you find it convenient to hold to a label doesn't change that it is a lie.
[+] 5 users Like natachan's post
12-05-2015, 08:54 PM
(12-05-2015 08:53 PM)natachan Wrote:  All this means is that lieing is appealing. If you don't hold theistic beliefs, then you aren't a Christian. If you say you are in order to gain some sort of social acceptance, you are a liar. Just because you find it convenient to hold to a label doesn't change that it is a lie.

Very well said.