Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 08:58 PM
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
(12-05-2015 08:44 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 08:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  Claiming to be Christian while having no belief in his divinity has no benefit. Unless confusion is what you wanted to achieve.
I may have some of the same beliefs as jesus, that does not mean he was the first to think of them. It also doesn't make me a christian.

I can't say I agree that it would have no benefit. After all, the moment you stop claiming to be a Christian, Christians will tend to look down on your views and think they hold less weight. If you quote bible verses at me, it's not the same as a Christian doing the same thing.

So in effect, deceiving actual christians into thinking you're a believer so they won't hassle you.
That doesn't benefit anyone but you, until you're found out.
It's a disservice to both Christians and atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-05-2015, 09:07 PM
(12-05-2015 08:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  So in effect, deceiving actual christians into thinking you're a believer so they won't hassle you.
That doesn't benefit anyone but you, until you're found out.
It's a disservice to both Christians and atheists.

"Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up." -from V for Vendetta (film)

It could be argued that in the right context, keeping up the pretense is more truthful and being up front would be more deceptive. It's an interesting ethical idea to consider.

So you know, though, I've been presenting most of this simply for the sake of argument rather than believing it myself. I think I can agree that Christianity requires theism by definition, so the rest of this is hypothetical and only partially relevant.
12-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Quote:It could be argued that in the right context, keeping up the pretense is more truthful and being up front would be more deceptive.

This reads like something I would hear from a liar, or someone who has something to sell. (Like a preacher.)
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
12-05-2015, 09:21 PM
(12-05-2015 09:14 PM)pablo Wrote:  This reads like something I would hear from a liar, or someone who has something to sell. (Like a preacher.)

Lol, yeah. I can't say I know of a context in which it would actually apply for sure, it's just a thought.
12-05-2015, 09:40 PM
So it's been over a year and a half since you last posted...were you in prison?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-05-2015, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 10:46 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Sure, but why would you?

Being an atheist is as simply as not believing in any gods. So you'd have to define 'being a Christian' in such a way as to remove all divine aspects from him, which would end up making you a 'fan' of Jesus more so than a traditional follower. Not only would most other Christians not consider someone who denies the divinity of Jesus a 'Christian', everyone else would rightly be at a loss for you accepting that label. It makes about as much sense as labeling yourself a Darwinian because you think natural selection is really keen.

If you're not enough of a blind ideologue to buy into the divinity bits, it's probably not worth going whole hog with the label either. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-05-2015, 09:59 PM
(12-05-2015 07:27 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Or is there a line at all? If we define being a Christian as many Christians do and say that a Christian is a "Christ-follower", then what happens when you follow his teachings in how you conduct yourself, but don't believe a God exists (or even that Jesus existed)? Is it possible then to be both an atheist and a Christian? Are the two mutually exclusive as we tend to regard them? Where would you draw the line on this issue?

Category error: you should compare atheists to theists, not a particular sect.

But to answer your question as I understand it: I draw the line when someone says "I believe Christ died for my sins."

At that point, I tune out, offering the occasional polite nod as I search for the exit.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-05-2015, 01:03 AM
That set of "christ like behaviors" existed long before those stories were written. I could just as easily say that you are a follower of hitlers behaviors when he was a child, but I don't think that would qualify you to be a nazi.

An atheist and a christian are separated by their belief in a god or lack thereof.

I would go on to say that most christians follow atheistic morals, but that doesn't mean they are atheists. It just means that they aren't completely buried in the bullshit that they say they believe in.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
13-05-2015, 01:26 AM
So the question is about following someone you admire and respect without holding the opinion that they are divine.

Isn't that what Twitter is for?

Undecided

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2015, 01:26 AM
(13-05-2015 01:03 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  That set of "christ like behaviors" existed long before those stories were written. I could just as easily say that you are a follower of hitlers behaviors when he was a child, but I don't think that would qualify you to be a nazi.

An atheist and a christian are separated by their belief in a god or lack thereof.

I would go on to say that most christians follow atheistic morals, but that doesn't mean they are atheists. It just means that they aren't completely buried in the bullshit that they say they believe in.

Not completely, but about neck-deep.