Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2015, 07:54 AM
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
(15-05-2015 06:45 AM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  But to actually be Christian means one cannot also be an atheist. To be Christian, one must knowledge the Trinity.

Not true.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-05-2015, 07:43 PM
(13-05-2015 05:59 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Keeping up the pretense might be necessary, even morally justifiable, especially for those in situations where admitting atheism could result in job loss or worse or even where it would just cause unnecessary distress (e.g. a dying relative). It would not be more truthful.

Good catch. The way you worded it is basically the idea I was trying to convey, but you did it better.
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2015, 07:55 PM
(13-05-2015 12:07 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  ... You'd have to be very selective about WHICH teachings you follow and essentially edit out and ignore the ones you disagree with. Oddly enough, this does not keep you from being a Christian, to judge by the vast number of Christian theists who do exactly that.

I liked everything you said, but I wanted to bring attention to just how fantastic this portion is. Got me laughing pretty good.
15-05-2015, 08:03 PM
(13-05-2015 05:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What the? You people make me cuss.

Followers of Christ don't have an exclusive claim on general morality.

If that's the case, I teach general logic. If anyone follows the general logic I teach then they are my followers; my minions even if they don't know it.

All hail KC! Derp.

I never said they did "have an exclusive claim on general morality". A quote put it very well when it said "You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackEyedGhost's post
15-05-2015, 08:07 PM
(15-05-2015 02:56 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Maybe. He or she is also a blithering idiot for somehow imagining Jesus' teachings were moral.

"Love your neighbor as yourself" isn't moral? Then what is it?
15-05-2015, 08:10 PM
(15-05-2015 03:36 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "To me, he was a wise and compassionate man, his words carry much weight and resonance for me,..."

No. Most definitely no. I suggest you go back and reread the words of Jesus.

"He" was a dimwitted fool.

If He was a dimwitted fool, then He did pretty well gaining His huge following. I rather dislike how atheists assume theists are idiots.
15-05-2015, 08:14 PM
(15-05-2015 06:45 AM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I think a Christian research study in France found out that half of those who were Catholic in France did not even believe in God.

But to actually be Christian means one cannot also be an atheist. To be Christian, one must knowledge the Trinity.

Jehovah's Witnesses are typically categorized as Christians, but they don't acknowledge the Trinity. A quick Google search gave me a list of Christian denominations that don't acknowledge the Trinity (or acknowledge it differently).

http://christianity.about.com/od/christi...rinity.htm
15-05-2015, 08:16 PM
(12-05-2015 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So it's been over a year and a half since you last posted...were you in prison?

Lol, no I wasn't in prison. I just haven't posted in a while for various reasons.
16-05-2015, 01:26 AM
(15-05-2015 08:10 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(15-05-2015 03:36 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "To me, he was a wise and compassionate man, his words carry much weight and resonance for me,..."

No. Most definitely no. I suggest you go back and reread the words of Jesus.

"He" was a dimwitted fool.

If He was a dimwitted fool, then He did pretty well gaining His huge following. I rather dislike how atheists assume theists are idiots.

Maybe his alleged followers weren't sharpest ones around there?

And not idiots but ones who are indoctrinated.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-05-2015, 08:17 AM
The ol' accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior line. What, is this a trick question? Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user