Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 08:25 AM
RE: Where do you draw the line between atheist and Christian?
(20-05-2015 07:45 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  
(15-05-2015 07:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not true.

Pretty sure 99.99% of Christian labeled them as heretics and burned them at the stake.

No one is burning any Unitarians today. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2015, 08:39 AM
(12-05-2015 07:27 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Or is there a line at all? If we define being a Christian as many Christians do and say that a Christian is a "Christ-follower", then what happens when you follow his teachings in how you conduct yourself, but don't believe a God exists (or even that Jesus existed)? Is it possible then to be both an atheist and a Christian? Are the two mutually exclusive as we tend to regard them? Where would you draw the line on this issue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

"Christian atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the God of Christianity is rejected or absent, but the moral teachings of Jesus are followed."

They are only labels, and are only mutually exclusive if you want them to be. Granted most christians will likely not to be considering you a part of their flock anytime soon.

There have been plenty of Christian atheists, like George Santayana.

In fact there are some who believe that only an Atheist can be a true Christian.

Like Ernst Bloch: : “only a Christian can be a good atheist and only an atheist can be a good Christian”

And Slavoj Zizek: "not only is Christianity (at its core, if disavowed by its institutional practice) the only truly consistent atheism, it is also that atheists are the only true believers.”"
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
21-05-2015, 09:10 AM
(21-05-2015 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 07:27 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Or is there a line at all? If we define being a Christian as many Christians do and say that a Christian is a "Christ-follower", then what happens when you follow his teachings in how you conduct yourself, but don't believe a God exists (or even that Jesus existed)? Is it possible then to be both an atheist and a Christian? Are the two mutually exclusive as we tend to regard them? Where would you draw the line on this issue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

"Christian atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the God of Christianity is rejected or absent, but the moral teachings of Jesus are followed."

They are only labels, and are only mutually exclusive if you want them to be. Granted most christians will likely not to be considering you a part of their flock anytime soon.

There have been plenty of Christian atheists, like George Santayana.

In fact there are some who believe that only an Atheist can be a true Christian.

Like Ernst Bloch: : “only a Christian can be a good atheist and only an atheist can be a good Christian”

And Slavoj Zizek: "not only is Christianity (at its core, if disavowed by its institutional practice) the only truly consistent atheism, it is also that atheists are the only true believers.”"

We already have an unambiguous term for that: secular humanism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I like to divide atheism from theism, that being you believe in God or you do not. That is all that is covered. It is a stance on a single subject.
Christianity would be called a religion. Going back to its etymological roots meaning to join a monastery, being religious means following certain practices and certain principles. While certain branches of Christianity may require theism, it is not necessary.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post
21-05-2015, 01:34 PM
(21-05-2015 09:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  We already have an unambiguous term for that: secular humanism.

And a lot of mystic twats trying to muddy the waters...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-05-2015, 01:48 PM
(21-05-2015 08:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

Only if one cherry picks, are the moral teachings if Jesus worth following.
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post
21-05-2015, 09:52 PM
(18-05-2015 02:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Yes, you try to put words in my mouth to be able to feel offended. Chrisitan doesn't equal idiot, indoctrinated also doesen't equal idiot, but I care not about what you think. It's counterproductive to explain it when you apparently believe otherwise.

I'm not offended at all. I was just pointing out the logical inconsistency within your statements. Whether or not you're willing to recognize what you said is up to you. It's okay though, we all do it sometimes.

And yes, I'm aware that being a Christian is different from being an idiot which is different from being indoctrinated. I'm sure you think being a Christian means you're indoctrinated and I'd disagree with you to some extent, but we can disagree on that without debating it.
21-05-2015, 09:55 PM
(18-05-2015 12:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why do you think being an idiot and being indoctrinated are mutually exclusive?

This post reminded me of this video... I wonder why....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc
21-05-2015, 10:01 PM
(21-05-2015 09:37 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I like to divide atheism from theism, that being you believe in God or you do not. That is all that is covered. It is a stance on a single subject.
Christianity would be called a religion. Going back to its etymological roots meaning to join a monastery, being religious means following certain practices and certain principles. While certain branches of Christianity may require theism, it is not necessary.

Thank you for that very clear and concise response to my original post.
21-05-2015, 10:58 PM
(21-05-2015 10:01 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:37 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I like to divide atheism from theism, that being you believe in God or you do not. That is all that is covered. It is a stance on a single subject.

Thank you for that very clear and concise response to my original post.

I find a lot of questions can be easily solved if first give a clear and concise definition for your terms. I find a lot of people argue about a topic on and on and never get anywhere because they are using different meanings implied by their terms.
So just remember your Socratic Logic. The first act of the mind is defining. Than comes creating premises and thirdly comes judging.

Note: while one can just open an online dictionary for the definition of a word, I find it handy to also look at the etymological root of the word. Generally I find this gives a concreteness to a word and helps remove colloquial additions.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc