Where does a clone's soul come from?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Where does a clone's soul come from?
I asked a priest this question once and he got very angry at me.

He said god would never allow human cloning.

So, if and when human cloning becomes an accepted fact, what is the church's position going to be?

Does god split the donor's soul in half? Does he send a brand new soul down from heaven? Will he leave the poor wretch live his life without one?

I am curious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 02:30 PM
RE: Where does a clone's soul come from?
I can't answer this as I don't believe in the likely hood of the human soul.

But I would imagine a christian would tell you that a clone wouldn't have a soul as it would be an abomination to god. It would be equivalent to a demon.

I would also imagine that the religious contingent would be the strongest in opposition to human clones, or extremely advance AI. Although I am also opposed to full human cloning, I am pro body part cloning. It would be nice to be able to replace my parts with "my" parts.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 02:32 PM
(26-01-2012 02:26 PM)Zat Wrote:  I asked a priest this question once and he got very angry at me.

So, if and when human cloning becomes an accepted fact, what is the church's position going to be?

Does god split the donor's soul in half? Does he send a brand new soul down from heaven? Will he leave the poor wretch live his life without one?

I am curious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a clone still a human?

I mean... if all cloning is is replicating biology... then... isn't a clone a human? Why would they be any different than a person who is create by sex?

Human is human. God's image is implanted on humanity. Seems pretty cut and dry. I guess I just can't understand the theological problem.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 02:35 PM
(26-01-2012 02:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 02:26 PM)Zat Wrote:  I asked a priest this question once and he got very angry at me.

I am curious.

I mean... if all cloning is is replicating biology... then... isn't a clone a human? Why would they be any different than a person who is create by sex?

Human is human. God's image is implanted on humanity. Seems pretty cut and dry. I guess I just can't understand the theological problem.

Cloning takes creation of life out of God's hands and puts it in a doctor's hands.

But KC will say that it's God's will/plan for people to be cloned so if there ever is a clone it's there because God wanted it there. And thus has some sort of purpose.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-01-2012, 02:39 PM
(26-01-2012 02:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

I am curious.

Cloning takes creation of life out of God's hands and puts it in a doctor's hands.

But KC will say that it's God's will/plan for people to be cloned so if there ever is a clone it's there because God wanted it there. And thus has some sort of purpose.

I just think it's silly to even debate.

Sperm and eggs are scientific tools that were given to us to create life. If we use science to replicate the effects of sperm and eggs, how is that taking God out of creation?

It's still life; albeit reached in a different way.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-01-2012, 02:42 PM
If a clone can have a soul of his own -- would it make him my soul-mate? Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like Zat's post
26-01-2012, 02:43 PM
(26-01-2012 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I am curious.

Sperm and eggs are scientific tools that were given to us to create life. If we use science to replicate the effects of sperm and eggs, how is that taking God out of creation?

i suggest you stretch before them acrobatics, so you dont spring your ankle or something Tongue

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
26-01-2012, 02:48 PM
(26-01-2012 02:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I am curious.

Cloning isn't really the same as surrogacy or test tube babies. It's exaclty copying DNA and replicating people. IMO they are as human as they appear physically and mentally but something tells me God wouldn't recognize lab made copies.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Same as identical twins.
Whatever that is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-01-2012, 03:00 PM
James Hogan has a very good SF novel: “Voyage from Yesteryear”.

A robot-spaceship was carrying human DNA-related information in its database and was searching for a habitable planet. When found one, it landed and its humanoid robots started the process of biological animation, based on the DNA-related information. This process lead to a thriving human civilization a few decades later.

The process was totally artificial, no actual human DNA was involved.

Now, if it were possible (and some day it might be), would god recognize factory-produced humans as worthy of souls? How would the soul get into them? No information on souls existed in the computer database and it only used the usual chemicals found in a human body?

I am still perplexed!
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post