Where does church money go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
RE: Where does church money go?
(07-06-2012 06:25 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 02:47 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  So again i ask where the hell is all that tax-free money because i'm thinking of starting a church as it will be all profit,really if i start a church for millionares and get them to contribute and tithe(which is when people give 10% of their earnings to God) i'd be a billionare in thrree months.

Been done already. They called it "Scientology."

Or Islam, or Mormonism, or Buddhism, etc. etc. etc.
There are many religions, 'churches', sects, and denominations that require their flocks to spend 10% of their income on the church or on church charities.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 10:56 AM by Ghost.)
Quote:Often almost nothing goes to charity, that is why churches have canned
food drives and whatnot, because they don't actually have any money to
go buy canned food, they are spending it all on themselves. For example,
there is a church in my city right now doing a 7 million dollar
fundraising project to desperately keep their 1870's bell tower from
collapsing. This basically means they have pumped every last dime they
got this year into it, and still need 7 million more, so how much do you
think they have left for charity when they are 7 million in the red?

I wasn't gonna say anything, but this really bothered me.

It's all fun and games ripping on religion, because lord knows they've certainly invited it. But that being said, we still have to think.

What you said, Super, makes no logical sense whatsoever.

First of all, the nothing goes to charity thing is demonstrably false.

Churches have canned food drives because they're not rich and it's a great way to involve the community in helping others. It's also a great way to provide services that their operating budget wouldn't allow otherwise.

The logical leap, they're doing food drives ergo they're spending their money on themselves is kindergarten stuff.

As for the bell tower, I would like you to name a single small organisation, a school, a fire department, even a hospital, that has 7 million dollars just swimming around free in their operating budget that they can outlay to repair crumbling infrastructure. Guaranteed, the church just doesn't have that kind of money. So INSTEAD of taking part of their operating budget and spending it on repairs, they've gone to the community to help them raise funds. The hospital I was born in does that. Schools do that. Everyone does that because no one has that kind of money to outlay without it crippling their operating budget.

What you suggest it basically means doesn't mean that at all. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of budgeting knows that.

Do churches spend money on themselves? Sure. Is there corruption? You bet. But that doesn't give us free license to say any old thing we want, ESPECIALLY if it flies in the face of evidence and logic.

ON EDIT: Hell, the city held a fund raiser at the behest of Mayor Wilson to save the clock tower in Back to the Future!
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
(07-06-2012 06:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 04:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let's not.

Church money goes in priest's pocket, or he's doing it wrong. Don't really give a fuck either way 'cause money sux.
sorry, my friend. ... that bulge in the pocket wasn't money .. Tongue
You've been hanging 'round Erx too much. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
(07-06-2012 08:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 06:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  sorry, my friend. ... that bulge in the pocket wasn't money .. Tongue

You've been hanging 'round Erx too much. Tongue

The original post said "sorry Erx, beat ya to it" .... hahahaha Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-06-2012, 10:03 AM
What Ghost said.

Also, most churches (mine included), show a weekly budget in the Sunday bulletin the describe where each cent goes. On major purchases or spendings, there is a church wide vote.

It's disingenuous to label churches as corruption machines because I would say the majority of them operate under honest standards.

Our church's money goes to payroll, maintenance, missions, literature for the church, ministries, and outreach.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
(07-06-2012 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What Ghost said.

Also, most churches (mine included), show a weekly budget in the Sunday bulletin the describe where each cent goes. On major purchases or spendings, there is a church wide vote.

It's disingenuous to label churches as corruption machines because I would say the majority of them operate under honest standards.

Our church's money goes to payroll, maintenance, missions, literature for the church, ministries, and outreach.
And the proceeds from the sale of my Snake Oil goes to payroll, maintenance, advertising, signs for the shop, promotions, and more promotions.

I must not be a corruption machine, either.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey, King.

Word.

Although I think we both know that there is corruption in the church. But that's not something that I attribute to any church or any religion. It's just the nature of large hierarchical organisations. There isn't a hierarchical organisation on the planet that doesn't suffer from corruption. So you're right, they certainly aren't corruption machines, ie, they don't set out, twisting their moustaches and adjusting their monocles, to be corrupt, but the nature of their organisational structure leaves them prey to it as it does for every corporation, non-profit, army, government, or any other conceivable hierarchical organisation.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
The word corruption probably needs to be defined by those making the accusations. I've been around a lot of churches, and they are not corrupt by my way of thinking. Corruption to me would assume the pastor or church officers are lining their pockets with money. I suppose because there are a few corrupt churches that make the news critics assume all churches are this way, but it's a pretty asinine assumption. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that 99% of Christian churches are not corrupt if you mean they are out to steal money. They do ask for money, however, to support the programs of the church. Just like the United Way asks for money to support their programs.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
(07-06-2012 11:01 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, King.

Word.

Although I think we both know that there is corruption in the church. But that's not something that I attribute to any church or any religion. It's just the nature of large hierarchical organisations. There isn't a hierarchical organisation on the planet that doesn't suffer from corruption. So you're right, they certainly aren't corruption machines, ie, they don't set out, twisting their moustaches and adjusting their monocles, to be corrupt, but the nature of their organisational structure leaves them prey to it as it does for every corporation, non-profit, army, government, or any other conceivable hierarchical organisation.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Yeah, there is corruption in anything that is touched by human hands. I'm just saying that churches, as a whole, aren't corrupt.

07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
(07-06-2012 10:38 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What Ghost said.

And the proceeds from the sale of my Snake Oil goes to payroll, maintenance, advertising, signs for the shop, promotions, and more promotions.

I must not be a corruption machine, either.

You're using semantics to favor your answer as well as creating a false dilemma. What you're saying isn't the question at hand.