Where does church money go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
RE: Where does church money go?
(08-06-2012 10:43 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Corruption has been here for thousands of years. One can assume it's a string of coincidence, or one can assume that there is a mechanism in place that breeds it.

A mechanism, huh? Dodgy
Way back in the heebee-jeebee-bibleeny-Christee days ... with those seven deadly sins and all, they didn't have the word entitlement like we do today. Back then they called it greed.

Here's what the almighty Wikipedia has to say:

Greed (Latin, avaritia), also known as avarice or covetousness, is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess. However, greed (as seen by the church) is applied to a very excessive or rapacious desire and pursuit of wealth, status, and power. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote that greed was "a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things." In Dante's Purgatory, the penitents were bound and laid face down on the ground for having concentrated too much on earthly thoughts. "Avarice" is more of a blanket term that can describe many other examples of greedy behavior. These include disloyalty, deliberate betrayal, or treason, especially for personal gain, for example through bribery. Scavenging and hoarding of materials or objects, theft and robbery, especially by means of violence, trickery, or manipulation of authority are all actions that may be inspired by greed. Such misdeeds can include simony, where one attempts to purchase or sell sacraments, including Holy Orders and, therefore, positions of authority in the Church hierarchy.

As defined outside of Christian writings, greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2012, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 10:18 PM by Ghost.)
Hey, Tarzan.

Corruption and embezzlement are not synonyms. Embezzlement is merely one form of corrupt activity.

I personally don't call the Vatican out for its finery. Hierarchical organisations the world over make displays of their power. St. Peter's Square is designed to humble people. Washington DC was specifically designed to make it look like Americans were powerful Romans. Skyscrapers are giant cocks. All hierarchical organisations have their peacock feathers and they all have the trappings of power.

For the record, a priest using his position of power to facilitate the sexual predation of little boys is corrupt. Damn straight they're making reparations.

Hey, Kim.

I have my issues with greed as a concept, but whatever the actual mechanism behind it, my argument is that hierarchy facilitates it. By that I mean, greed on it's own does whatever greed does; it's merely a part of the human experience. A greedy person in a position of power granted to them by the hierarchical organisation they are affiliated with can use the power and resources of that organisation to act on that greed and they will be rewarded for it. Some people can resist the temptation to use that power, but some people embrace it; ie, the corrupt. But the concentration of power at their finger tips, the power they agonise about using for good or for evil, is the product of hierarchy.

Yuck.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
13-06-2012, 01:33 PM
[attachment=637][attachment=638][attachment=639]People at a church about 35 miles south of me decided that God told them to build a 63 foot tall statue (at a cost of about a quarter of a million dollars) of Jesus overlooking the interstate gazing to the heavens with his hands held high in praise. (He has been lovingly refered to by many of the locals as "Touchdown Jesus") When it was struck by lightning and burned to the ground, they simply assumed that God wanted a different statue and promptly raised money to have a new one built.