Where has GWG been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2016, 09:54 AM
RE: Where has GWG been?
(30-01-2016 05:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(27-01-2016 09:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have been a light presence here lately as I am retiring from the Navy after 30 years in 9 weeks, setting up for moving my household goods to my new home in TN, going to a PLETHORA of Medical appointments for my VA assessment of disability, and to spice things up I have a heavy college load this semester (doing physics course and my CAPSTONE course for my M.S. in Criminal Justice with specialization in Critical Incident Management. Partially tore my Distal tendon of left biceps Angry Also I need to find a freaking job in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville TN area really quick...no pressure. So I have been a bit overwhelmed with all of that, AND working 12-14 hour days at my Navy job...good times. Next 3-4 months will be challenging.

My apologies for lack of attention to my resource library. I have a list of things I wish to do for that, I have a stack of brand new books about 2 feet high I have yet to even open that will be research resource material for some of my planned additions to the library.

Once all the dust settles I have some big plans for some indepth research and writings for my beloved resource library that I hope some of you will enjoy reading and potentially using in debates/discussions on theology. Someday I would like to do a book, but that kind of time will probably be when I retire from this next job, one I intend to hold for at least 15 years, then retire and live off the residuals of my investments and retirement funds...sit on the backporch sipping moonshine, reading and writing about the delusional beliefs of those infected with faith. Thumbsup

Thank you all for making this a place I love to hang out when I can, and making me feel appreciated when I post my musings.

Bowing

Okay - this is weirding me out a lot. As most of you know who know me I'm a Navy reservist. I just re-enlisted. I live in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area, and as it so happens I just received a 'letter' today telling me I am ineligible for a job for litigation support (Info tech side) due to me leaving active duty over 3 years ago. You're really weirding me out. If you're interested in applying for the job, let me know. Again, it's the information technology side.

Thanks Dark Light, but I am allergic to IT Tongue

When I settle in we should meet up sometime since you are close. Best of luck in your endeavors and career.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2016, 10:22 AM
(30-01-2016 05:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I live in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area,

This makes so much more sense. I thought you lived in Australia for some reason. I just figured you were an ex-pat since you knew Appalachia speak.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
30-01-2016, 10:28 AM
So glad you are retiring because ....
"Partially tore my Distal tendon of left biceps"
OUCH! Sadcryface

That needs to be your new job - rehab that shit!! Seriously, find a good physical therapist. And get into some flexibility training to knock down the posibility of it happening again. I don't want to push you into yoga or anything but ... Try some fucking yoga! Angry
Don't make Jenny and I come there and tie you into a pretzel! Wink

I envy your commitment - attending to your education with such determination - you inspire by example. It's going to feel great not being under someone else's thumb anymore. It might not hit you for a while but, you will relax into it eventually. Emphasis on relax ... you deserve it. Thumbsup

You've put in your time sir: Thank you for your service. Please enjoy the rest of your life. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-01-2016, 10:38 AM
GWG - one of us! One of us! Banana_zorro

Operation: Atheist Invasion has commenced! Tennessee will never be the same Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
30-01-2016, 10:43 AM
(30-01-2016 10:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(30-01-2016 05:35 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I live in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville area,

This makes so much more sense.

A navy man is stationed in a land-locked state makes sense to you? You my dear are smarter than I.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-01-2016, 11:45 AM
(27-01-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Good deal and congrats on retirement.. Didn't realize you were a senior officer....

Do I gotta yell "Attention on deck" when you come in????

He's a CWO. You yell that or call him "sir" and he will make sure you never do it again. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-01-2016, 11:48 AM
(27-01-2016 09:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Also I need to find a freaking job in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville TN area really quick...no pressure.

Oak Ridge National Lab. Or even more lucrative, a contractor for Oak Ridge National Lab. Especially if you got clearances.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-01-2016, 08:05 PM
(30-01-2016 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-01-2016 09:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Also I need to find a freaking job in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville TN area really quick...no pressure.

Oak Ridge National Lab. Or even more lucrative, a contractor for Oak Ridge National Lab. Especially if you got clearances.

They require a PhD for most positions. Masters is acceptable for a fair amount. The rest are almost exclusively internships or contracted out. If you fit into the PhD or Masters category that definitely gives you a fighting chance. There or plenty of other government entities, primarily DoE related jobs in Oak Ridge. Y-12, K-25, K-20 (I think still exists), and a federal building that does ???. NOAA has a small office in town as well. There is always plenty of competition for those jobs, but they can be obtained, so bring your A-Game. As for "quickly"...no. Quickly isn't going to happen. Last interview I was shot down on took several months.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-01-2016, 09:36 PM
(30-01-2016 08:05 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-01-2016 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oak Ridge National Lab. Or even more lucrative, a contractor for Oak Ridge National Lab. Especially if you got clearances.

They require a PhD for most positions. Masters is acceptable for a fair amount. The rest are almost exclusively internships or contracted out. If you fit into the PhD or Masters category that definitely gives you a fighting chance. There or plenty of other government entities, primarily DoE related jobs in Oak Ridge. Y-12, K-25, K-20 (I think still exists), and a federal building that does ???. NOAA has a small office in town as well. There is always plenty of competition for those jobs, but they can be obtained, so bring your A-Game. As for "quickly"...no. Quickly isn't going to happen. Last interview I was shot down on took several months.

Norrg's will.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
31-01-2016, 10:22 AM
(30-01-2016 10:28 AM)kim Wrote:  Don't make Jenny and I come there and tie you into a pretzel!

Shocking

Thanks for THAT visual, you are going to cause me to rip my tendon some more...oh no wait, I am right handed, duh Laughat

Evil_monster

hehe

Thanks for the kind words Yes

(30-01-2016 10:38 AM)Nurse Wrote:  GWG - one of us! One of us! Banana_zorro

Operation: Atheist Invasion has commenced! Tennessee will never be the same

Woohooo *dances*

(30-01-2016 10:43 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(30-01-2016 10:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  This makes so much more sense.

A navy man is stationed in a land-locked state makes sense to you? You my dear are smarter than I.

not stationed, retiring there Tongue

(30-01-2016 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-01-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Good deal and congrats on retirement.. Didn't realize you were a senior officer....

Do I gotta yell "Attention on deck" when you come in????

He's a CWO. You yell that or call him "sir" and he will make sure you never do it again.

Best job in the navy, I get paid the same as an O4 LCDR, and don't have to play the politics. Winning.

(30-01-2016 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yeah we are looking into that actually, but those jobs are usually a long screening selection process. maybe I can mop the floors at home depot in the meantime, or bag up worms at bubba's bait and Tackle shop

Thanks all

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post