Where have all the Hero`s gone ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Where have all the Hero`s gone ?
When you think of heroic figures from the past, weather you have seen them in movies and or read about them in books or magazines or maybe on tv, do you wonder where todays hero`s are?, I have, and I`m ashamed that I can not think of any, can you ???.

Or is there really such a thing as an hero today?, will anyone be remembered 2000, 2500 years from now like the hero`s of old, where is the modern day Achilles, Leonidas, Scipio Africanus, Hannibal, Sun Yzu, or Cicreo, Plato, Aristotle, Confucius.

Can you really compare a great general like Scipio Africanus or Hannibal with say, a Patton or Montgomery ?, or a philosopher like Socrates or Aristotle with Thomas Hobbes or Friedrich Nietzsche?, I don't think you can, or can you ?.

Is there such a hero today ?, I don't know, I would like to think there is, perhaps only time will tell.

Is there anyone out there who has a candidate, a name that will inspire generations to come??. (Sorry for the rant, I`m old and tired Big Grin)

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 03:47 PM
RE: Where have all the Hero`s gone ?
By any chance were you in the RAF? I see your avatar is a Spitfire and you say you're old. Wink

I'm not sure I'd agree with your list on heroes but I understand your question. Hindsight is 20/20 and often a person's work isn't fully appreciated until long after their passing.

Having said this the names that immediately came to mind are Jimmy Carter and Bill Gates.

Speaking of Carter - "He is now widely considered one of the greatest ex-presidents in American history. He has worked extensively with Habitat for Humanity and founded the Carter Presidential Center to promote human rights and alleviate suffering across the globe. In particular, Carter has worked effectively as an ex-president to develop community-based health care systems in Africa and Latin America, to oversee elections in fledgling democracies and to promote peace in the Middle East. In 2002, Jimmy Carter received the Nobel Peace Prize "for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development."

http://www.habitat.org/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...ms/carter/

Speaking of Gates - " Gates is not only known for his money, but also for his large-scale charitable work. Gates has donated nearly 40 percent of his fortune to the private foundation he runs with his wife Melinda, and he is the co-founder, alongside with Warren Buffett, of the Giving Pledge, a worldwide campaign that invites millionaires to donate at least half of their wealth to charity or philanthropic activities. "

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-05-2013, 04:04 PM
RE: Where have all the Hero`s gone ?
Yes I`m ex RAF, I left in 1992.

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo