Where have you been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 08:41 PM
RE: Where have you been?
(13-04-2017 10:26 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  1. Where are you from?

- The Midwest, USA

2. Where in the world have you been?

- Stay of some length: Tanzania (as a civilian) and an undisclosed area of the Middle East (as a soldier)
- Short stops: Canada, Spain, Ethiopia, and Italy

3. What has been your favourite place to visit or regularly go to?

- I haven't traveled abroad extensively, so this is hard to answer at present.

4. Where haven't you been that you'd like to go to?

- South and East Asia. Europe at some point.

5. Where is your next holiday set up for?

- Not really a holiday but I will be living in Taiwan for the next year starting in September. I plan to visit neighboring countries while I'm in the area.

There’s a dig in Taiwan?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 06:19 AM
(07-04-2017 07:30 PM)yakherder Wrote:  1. Where are you from?
Born in Tacoma, Washington.
Grew up on Fox Island, Washington and near Kenai, Alaska

(in order of time spent, excluding places visited for less than a day or two)
Canada - 6 years
China - 5 years
Las Vegas, Nevada - 3 years
Japan - 2 years
Pensacola, Florida - 2 years
Groton, Connecticut - 2 years
Iraq - 1 year
Kuwait - 1 year (with near weekly convoys back into Iraq)
Afghanistan - 1 year
Sudan - few months
Haiti - couple months
Outer Mongolia - extended horseback riding trip
Venezuela - numerous visits of a couple weeks or less
South Korea - numerous visits of a few days
Bahrain - few weeks
Taiwan - 2 weeks
Iceland - 2 weeks
New Zealand - 1 week

More places but those are the memorable ones that come to mind.

Enjoyed Taiwan. Cool aspects of China with a lot less of the bullshit. I'd live there if I could convince my girlfriend and kids.
Iceland was also cool. I feel like if I'd lived there all my life I would have ended up much more sane.

Antarctica
Iran
Nepal

Indiana. Because family.

I've been to Kenai. Did an oil spill there when I was stationed at the Marine Safety Office in Anchorage in the late 70's...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-04-2017, 08:52 AM
(11-04-2017 01:16 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  Various trips around the railway network: Glasgow Central, Cleethorpes, Swansea, Manchester Airport, Brighton, London Paddington, Great Malvern.

You've probably been in my neck of the woods, Crewe, which is built around the railways. Have you been to the Railway museum in York? It's very nice there Smile

I'm not big into trains, but a friend of mine is, and is looking to get us out to Europe to check out some train festivals and stuff Smile

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
18-04-2017, 09:25 AM
1. Where are you from?
People's Republic of Maryland. Born a poor black child in DC.

Spent 2 years in a cornfield in St. Joseph, IL while working at the Beckman Institute on UIUC. Surrounded by nothing but corn fields you can't even eat because it tastes like crap and can't be chewed describes the existential state of that whole area. "That's for the cows and chickens, Bob." "The fuck?"

I don't usually leave the house.

I wanna ride the terror-dactyl in CO so I can kamikaze from the 100th floor swan to dive to the street while strapped in and trippin' my balls off. Yes

Backyard.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-04-2017, 11:31 AM
1. Where are you from?

- The Mid-Atlantic, USA

Other countries: Only Canada, twice. Once to Niagara Falls, once to Toronto for conference. I didn't have my passport when visiting San Diego, or would've hopped over the border into Mexico just to say I'd been.

U.S. States: I've lived in three states and visited all the shaded in, below under the spoiler tag:
[Image: lOXBGHe.png]

Not regularly, but back when I was a young kid and a few times as a teenager, my father would take me fishing. Once in a while on those trips we'd stop by this natural spring, hidden off the side of the road in some middle of nowhere county, miles from any town. It was the perfect size for swimming in and stayed nice and cold in the summer.

Quite a few places. The rest of the U.S. states. Mexico, several places in Europe. Rather envious of a friend who did a Sabbatical in Australia.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Because it's where my next conference is, and they're the only vacations I usually get.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2017, 01:45 PM
(18-04-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  5. Where is your next holiday set up for?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Because it's where my next conference is, and they're the only vacations I usually get.

If you like fine arts, beautiful gardens, and history, there's lots to see in Philadelphia and the surrounding area.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
18-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Quote:1. Where are you from?
3. What has been your favorite place to visit or regularly go to?

Born in Sacramento, California
Been to: Nogales, Mexico (the worst part of that town)
England X2 USAF
Belgium X2 (Brussels, Gent, Bruges )
Germany X5 mostly Kiel
Canada a number of times (oversize load pilot car driver)
Favorite place: I suppose Germany
Places I'd like to go: Any place where there are archeological or paleontology digs
Next holiday? Home, no longer travel. [Image: yw73taM.gif?zoom=2] [Image: BRqIww5.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
18-04-2017, 07:06 PM
(18-04-2017 01:45 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  5. Where is your next holiday set up for?

If you like fine arts, beautiful gardens, and history, there's lots to see in Philadelphia and the surrounding area.

Awesome Smile Last time conference was there, all I got to sight-seeing wise was Eastern State Penitentiary, a few historical sites, and Reading Station (ate at a different place there each meal and day)! Anything in particular?

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-04-2017, 07:06 PM
Recently - in my head. Way too much Dodgy

Physically, though - in Curitiba, but heading to the (supposedly) more fun Belo Horizonte soon-ish. Yay!

"I've been up to the mountain
I've walked down by the sea
I never questioned no one
And no one questioned me
My love was given freely
And oftimes was returned
I never came to borrow
I only came to learn

Sometimes it would get lonely
But it taught me how to cry
And laughter came too easy
For life to pass me by..."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
18-04-2017, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2017 08:22 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(18-04-2017 07:06 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Awesome Smile Last time conference was there, all I got to sight-seeing wise was Eastern State Penitentiary, a few historical sites, and Reading Station (ate at a different place there each meal and day)! Anything in particular?

The Museum of the American Revolution is just opening up, but you would need advance tickets that being the case. It is just a few blocks from Independence Hall and the Constitution Center.

My favorite places downtown are the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation, which are close to each other along Franklin Parkway. The PMA has many interesting rooms from different periods in history, so it's like a time machine. It also has some important individual works, like Picasso's Three Musicians, Klee's Fish Magic, one of Cezanne's Large Bathers, one of Van Gogh's Sunflowers, Rousseau's Carnival Evening, Duchamp's Large Glass, and de Chirico's The Soothsayer's Recompense. The Barnes Foundation was created by a wealthy and eccentric art collector, who insisted all the pieces remain in his own idiosyncratic arrangements. He acquired many works by Renoir, Cezanne, and Matisse especially. But the museum is relatively small so you must get a reservation to get in.

The Rodin Museum sits between those art museums. The Franklin Institute Science Museum and the Academy of Natural Sciences are on Logan Circle, at the other end of Franklin Parkway from the PMA. They also feature some impressive collections.

My favorite out-of-town attractions are just five miles from each other. The Brandywine River Museum of Art (of which I am a member) has a wonderful collection of Andrew Wyeth paintings, N.C. Wyeth illustrations, and older landscape paintings and illustrations. Nearby Longwood Gardens covers a huge area, and was originally created by one of the duPonts. I don't know of a prettier gardens and the end of May is the best time of year to see it if you are lucky enough to be traveling to the Philadelphia area soon. They are about an hour or so drive from downtown, depending on the traffic.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post