Where have you been?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 08:56 PM
RE: Where have you been?
I've lived in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and five American states. In those travels I've passed through another seven foreign countries and 16 American states.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2017, 09:19 PM
1. Poland
2. England and Germany
3. None
4. Rome, maybe.
5. Don't plan on traveling in near future.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-04-2017, 11:22 AM
(18-04-2017 08:52 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:16 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  Various trips around the railway network: Glasgow Central, Cleethorpes, Swansea, Manchester Airport, Brighton, London Paddington, Great Malvern.

You've probably been in my neck of the woods, Crewe, which is built around the railways. Have you been to the Railway museum in York? It's very nice there Smile

I'm not big into trains, but a friend of mine is, and is looking to get us out to Europe to check out some train festivals and stuff Smile

I have been to Crewe many times, either passing through on my way to somewhere else or changing trains. The first class lounge is rather good - certainly better than those at Euston or Birmingham New Street. I have not been to the railway museum at York - yet!

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

21-04-2017, 07:27 PM
(18-04-2017 08:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 07:06 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Awesome Smile Last time conference was there, all I got to sight-seeing wise was Eastern State Penitentiary, a few historical sites, and Reading Station (ate at a different place there each meal and day)! Anything in particular?

The Museum of the American Revolution is just opening up, but you would need advance tickets that being the case. It is just a few blocks from Independence Hall and the Constitution Center.

My favorite places downtown are the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation, which are close to each other along Franklin Parkway. The PMA has many interesting rooms from different periods in history, so it's like a time machine. It also has some important individual works, like Picasso's Three Musicians, Klee's Fish Magic, one of Cezanne's Large Bathers, one of Van Gogh's Sunflowers, Rousseau's Carnival Evening, Duchamp's Large Glass, and de Chirico's The Soothsayer's Recompense. The Barnes Foundation was created by a wealthy and eccentric art collector, who insisted all the pieces remain in his own idiosyncratic arrangements. He acquired many works by Renoir, Cezanne, and Matisse especially. But the museum is relatively small so you must get a reservation to get in.

The Rodin Museum sits between those art museums. The Franklin Institute Science Museum and the Academy of Natural Sciences are on Logan Circle, at the other end of Franklin Parkway from the PMA. They also feature some impressive collections.

My favorite out-of-town attractions are just five miles from each other. The Brandywine River Museum of Art (of which I am a member) has a wonderful collection of Andrew Wyeth paintings, N.C. Wyeth illustrations, and older landscape paintings and illustrations. Nearby Longwood Gardens covers a huge area, and was originally created by one of the duPonts. I don't know of a prettier gardens and the end of May is the best time of year to see it if you are lucky enough to be traveling to the Philadelphia area soon. They are about an hour or so drive from downtown, depending on the traffic.
Oh that all sounds quite lovely. Smile Definitely a lot of things worth seeing. Conference would be in November, and downtown, so Metra or cab would be the limit really. Though may well be worth getting tickets in advance for that Museum of the American Revolution! Big Grin Love history so much. Imagine the gardens though would be...not the best in snow season.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
22-04-2017, 02:48 AM
(21-04-2017 07:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Oh that all sounds quite lovely. Smile Definitely a lot of things worth seeing. Conference would be in November, and downtown, so Metra or cab would be the limit really. Though may well be worth getting tickets in advance for that Museum of the American Revolution! Big Grin Love history so much. Imagine the gardens though would be...not the best in snow season.

To get around between attractions, you could jump on the Philly Phlash:

http://www.visitphilly.com/tours/philadelphia/phlash/

Longwood Gardens do have nice displays in their conservatory around Christmas, but I usually avoid them since they're so crowded.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
23-04-2017, 08:21 PM
(15-04-2017 08:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  There’s a dig in Taiwan?

No, I'm going there to study Chinese, but I'd love to participate in some digs while I'm there.
23-04-2017, 08:24 PM
(23-04-2017 08:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 08:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  There’s a dig in Taiwan?

No, I'm going there to study Chinese, but I'd love to participate in some digs while I'm there.

Then we can chat here in Chinese and make fun of people without them knowing Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-04-2017, 09:17 PM
1. Where are you from?
Montréal, PQ
2. Where in the world have you been?
Canada: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Québec, Ontario ,Saskatchewan, Alberta
U.S.A.: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana, Texas, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, California, Washington
Bermuda
Bahamas
Jamaica
Mexico

3. What has been your favourite place to visit or regularly go to?
Bermuda
4. Where haven't you been that you'd like to go to?
England/Scotland/Wales
5. Where is your next holiday set up for?
Québec

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2017, 10:50 PM
(18-04-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...
Rather envious of a friend who did a Sabbatical in Australia.

Don't be.

Straylia's just...
- Secularism gone mad
- Stifling fresh air and sunshine
- Politically correct healthy food
- Open-minded and promiscuous women

It's awful ... you'd hate it.

Meanwhile, next week, I'm off to do a 2-week stint in PNG. Nice of the map-maker to highlight it in red to make it easier to find (just above Oz):

[Image: Travel-Risk-Map-2017.jpg]

Same colour as Pakistan, where I was this time last year.

Of course, it's all about perspective. If a Mexican had drawn this map, Mexico would be in yellow and the USA would be in red.

Unsure

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-04-2017, 06:36 AM
(22-04-2017 02:48 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 07:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Oh that all sounds quite lovely. Smile Definitely a lot of things worth seeing. Conference would be in November, and downtown, so Metra or cab would be the limit really. Though may well be worth getting tickets in advance for that Museum of the American Revolution! Big Grin Love history so much. Imagine the gardens though would be...not the best in snow season.

To get around between attractions, you could jump on the Philly Phlash:

http://www.visitphilly.com/tours/philadelphia/phlash/

Longwood Gardens do have nice displays in their conservatory around Christmas, but I usually avoid them since they're so crowded.

Oh that sounds fun, on both counts, the lights and Philly Phlash. Never knew about the Phlash the last time I was there for conference, or when I dated a woman in Philly. (The Turnpike goes on forever to get there from near Pittsburgh...forever. The most terrifying words my GPS has ever uttered were, "continue on Pennsylvania Turnpike, 300 miles" or something similar.)

(23-04-2017 10:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 11:31 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...
Rather envious of a friend who did a Sabbatical in Australia.

Don't be.

Straylia's just...
- Secularism gone mad
- Stifling fresh air and sunshine
- Politically correct healthy food
- Open-minded and promiscuous women

It's awful ... you'd hate it.

Meanwhile, next week, I'm off to do a 2-week stint in PNG. Nice of the map-maker to highlight it in red to make it easier to find (just above Oz):

[Image: Travel-Risk-Map-2017.jpg]

Same colour as Pakistan, where I was this time last year.

Of course, it's all about perspective. If a Mexican had drawn this map, Mexico would be in yellow and the USA would be in red.

Unsure

You get to go to all the nice places :| (Better you than me...heh.)

And I imagine you'd be right if a Mexican had drawn the map. Know what gets hideously little media coverage, sort of on that note? One of the routes over the border that smugglers use is into a military artillery testing range the size of roughly the U.S. state of Rhode Island. Surely people die crossing there, but you never hear about it.

And you're right, I just need to stay in 'Murrica where those things are less likely to be found, and where I'm next to a lake and half my days are filled with cloud cover and chilly winds.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post