Where in hell is hell?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2014, 11:23 PM
RE: Where in hell is hell?
This is the Chinese version of Hell. They have several types of hell. None are very pleasant.

http://io9.com/5857384/if-youre-going-to...e-version/

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 11:26 PM
(20-02-2014 04:19 PM)englishrose Wrote:  I've often wondered where exactly is hell located?
And heaven for that matter?
These questions have always bugged me and were probably the first things which led me as a kid to disbelieve.
I just couldn't see where in the universe they could be, especially when I read hell was in 'the underworld'.
I remember thinking, what Australia?
Bemused Rose.

If you study the history of religion, hell derives from the Greek underworld of Hades...which was believed to be a physical place in the bowels of the earth. In Greek mythology, everyone who died went there. It was generally an unpleasant , but not torturous, place. They believed you could find your way there through cave systems (hence the phrase "bat out of hell"). It's not surprising this particular myth didn't last long - who wants an afterlife fantasy that's dark and dismal for everyone?

Heaven, was literally the sky. There wasn't even a term to distinguish sky from heaven until late in human history.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
20-02-2014, 11:48 PM
(20-02-2014 08:45 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Wow. Your parents must not be good at indoctrination. Lucky you. Tongue

You're right.
I am from the UK and was brought up Methodist but stopped going to church when I was about 13. No-one seemed to say much about it to be honest but then we're not particularly 'churchy' in the UK, thankfully.
I now live in France and, despite the plethora of churches and crosses, they're not too churchy here either.
How lucky am I?
20-02-2014, 11:50 PM
(20-02-2014 09:45 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 04:19 PM)englishrose Wrote:  I've often wondered where exactly is hell located?
These questions have always bugged me and were probably the first things which led me as a kid to disbelieve.
I just couldn't see where in the universe they could be, especially when I read hell was in 'the underworld'.
Bemused Rose.

In scientific terms heaven and hell are in different dimensions. It is in a reality or plain of existence that runs parallel to this one.

Right. Ooo Kkkk.
(We've got a right one here, I see)
21-02-2014, 03:01 AM

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Slough,+U...m&t=m&z=13
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
21-02-2014, 03:11 AM
(20-02-2014 09:45 PM)Drich Wrote:  
Bemused Rose.

In scientific terms heaven and hell are in different dimensions. It is in a reality or plain of existence that runs parallel to this one.

In scientific terms? You mean this is what has been discovered using the scientific method by creating falsifiable theories, experimenting and observing?

Or do you mean that 'dimensions', 'parallel' , 'reality' and 'plain of existence' are sciency terms used by sciency people?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
21-02-2014, 03:19 AM
(21-02-2014 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Slough,+U...m&t=m&z=13

Yes Mathilda!
I actually know Slough quite well as I used to work nearby and I have to say I agree although I have been to worse places.
Cairo isn't pleasant. I've never been to India but friends who have say it is a shithole which is a shame.
Heavenly places include New Zealand - it's simply beautiful, in my opinion.

No but seriously, this hell and heaven thing; I just don't get it.
You really have to stretch the imagination in these days of space exploration and our understanding of the earth and solar system to justify their existence.
Perhaps they're in the same place as all those ghosts and ghouls and evil spirits, or is that limbo?
Must be very crowded.......
21-02-2014, 04:56 AM

21-02-2014, 05:37 AM
I believe most of our instruction on the visuals and the doings of hell come from Dante Alighieri's (1265-1321) Inferno, part of Dante's The Divine Comedy, in three parts.

That hell is found within the earth in, Dante's, The Inferno is also why we imagine it deep under our feet, in the bowels of the earth. Dante served to provide more about the nature of hell than either the Old or New Testament has.

All of you experiencing the cold of this winter can appreciate that at the bottom of Dante's 9 concentric circles of hell, is hell at it's worst, are the worst offenders--encased in ice.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
21-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Bemused Rose.
Some say hell isn't so much a place as it is the separation from God. So hell would be wherever God isn't. But since God is also supposedly everywhere, what are they all worried about? Smartass

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair