Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 02:07 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(12-12-2016 02:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 01:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The electromagnetic spectrum. The definition of a species. The age of the beginning of geologic Eons, Eras, Periods, Epochs, and Ages.

Laughat

Another thread for you to spew your bile on?

According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, one of the definitions of a dog:
"a : canid; especially : a highly variable domestic mammal (Canis familiaris) closely related to the gray wolf

Is this statement factually true?

Is the statement objectively true? (Objective: of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts}

Depends on the definition of species you use, which is why it is both subjective and NOT a matter of opinion.

Laughat Of course you won't admit to being wrong so why are you even replying?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 02:14 PM
(12-12-2016 02:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, one of the definitions of a dog:
"a : canid; especially : a highly variable domestic mammal (Canis familiaris) closely related to the gray wolf

Is this statement factually true?

Is the statement objectively true? (Objective: of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts}

Depends on the definition of species you use, which is why it is both subjective and NOT a matter of opinion.

It's factually true, objectively true, that that the Merriam Webster online dictionary
defines the term species as:

Definition of species
plural species
a : kind, sort
b : a class of individuals having common attributes and designated by a common name; specifically : a logical division of a genus or more comprehensive class <confessing sins in species and in number>

A fact, easily verified here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/species

Do you acknowledge this? If you do, than clearly your previous statement is wrong. Or are you just gonna wiggle?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-12-2016, 02:17 PM
(12-12-2016 02:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's factually true, objectively true, that that the Merriam Webster online dictionary

I think you mean definitionally true. True by definition.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
(12-12-2016 02:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Depends on the definition of species you use, which is why it is both subjective and NOT a matter of opinion.

It's factually true, objectively true, that that the Merriam Webster online dictionary

Definition of species
plural species
a : kind, sort
b : a class of individuals having common attributes and designated by a common name; specifically : a logical division of a genus or more comprehensive class <confessing sins in species and in number>

A fact, easily verified here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/species

Do you acknowledge this? If you do, than clearly your previous statement is wrong. Or are you just gonna wiggle?

I keep forgetting that you know more about science than the rest of us (as confirmed by your appeal to Merriam Webster!).

Biological Species Concept, Phylogenetic Species Concept, Morphological Species Concept. Depending on which one you use (which depends on what data you have available and/or access to), a scientist will define a specimen's classification at the species level differently. Making the definition of a species subjective but not a matter of opinion.

I'd ask if you hate being wrong, but you seem to arrogantly presume that you can't be wrong.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 02:19 PM
(12-12-2016 02:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's factually true, objectively true, that that the Merriam Webster online dictionary

I think you mean definitionally true. True by definition.

*Definitionally true using one species definition from a non-science source*

There are 3 definitions of a species as used by biologists and paleontologists.

-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
(12-12-2016 02:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think you mean definitionally true. True by definition.

*Definitionally true using one species definition from a non-science source*

Nerd.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-12-2016, 02:22 PM
(12-12-2016 02:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  *Definitionally true using one species definition from a non-science source*

Nerd.

Goddamn right. I didn't get all this learnin' fer nuthin'. I gotted all this learnin' so that jackasses like Tomato could maintain their ignorance while being arrogant jackasses. Drinking Beverage It's paying off?

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 02:29 PM
(12-12-2016 02:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nerd.

Goddamn right. I didn't get all this learnin' fer nuthin'. I gotted all this learnin' so that jackasses like Tomato could maintain their ignorance while being arrogant jackasses. Drinking Beverage It's paying off?

Tomatillo is not a good gauge to measure by. Big Grin

12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
(12-12-2016 02:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I keep forgetting that you know more about science than the rest of us (as confirmed by your appeal to Merriam Webster!).

It seems that you have a hard time answering rather basic questions, but I'll take it that you acknowledge the previous statements as objectively true.

Quote:Biological Species Concept, Phylogenetic Species Concept, Morphological Species Concept. Depending on which one you use (which depends on what data you have available and/or access to), a scientist will define a specimen's classification at the species level differently. Making the definition of a species subjective but not a matter of opinion.

You apparently don't understand the difference between relative and subjective, since it's clear by this statement that you're conflating the two.

Quote:I'd ask if you hate being wrong, but you seem to arrogantly presume that you can't be wrong.

Says the guy who can't even answer basic questions, especially when he know he's about to contradict himself if he did.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
(12-12-2016 02:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Goddamn right. I didn't get all this learnin' fer nuthin'. I gotted all this learnin' so that jackasses like Tomato could maintain their ignorance while being arrogant jackasses. Drinking Beverage It's paying off?

Tomatillo is not a good gauge to measure by. Big Grin

He's like a broken thermometer where all the mercury leaked out the bottom. I think it all leaked out into his brain though... Hobo

-Rick