Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(12-12-2016 02:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Nope, it would still be subjective. Subjective and not merely an opinion because one could make the case for it being or not being a particular species based on which definition you use and why.

Again relative, not subjective, lol. The meaning of the word is relative to which definition is being used, duh.

I mean look, don't get upset at me because you are wrong and because you had your challenge answered showing you that you're wrong. Be upset with yourself for being arrogant and stupid.

Educate yourself

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 02:56 PM
(12-12-2016 02:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And what would be one species under one definition of a species, could be another under another definition. Do you know how definitions work? I mean, you can copy and paste them but I don't think you've any clue what they mean...Consider

I'll repeat this to you again, you are conflating relative with subjective.

A point you would thing you'd get after acknowledging that the variety of statements here regarding the definition, are objectively true statements.

Care to admit now that you were wrong?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-12-2016, 02:58 PM
(12-12-2016 02:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And what would be one species under one definition of a species, could be another under another definition. Do you know how definitions work? I mean, you can copy and paste them but I don't think you've any clue what they mean...Consider

I'll repeat this to you again, you are conflating relative with subjective.

A point you would thing you'd get after acknowledging that the variety of statements here regarding the definition, are objectively true statements.

Care to admit now that you were wrong?

They aren't objectively true statements. They are subjectively true because whether they are or are not true is relative to the definition of species being used. Making the definition of a species...wait for it...subjective.

Drinking Beverage Probably shouldn't argue with a paleontologist about the definition of a species when your only qualification on the subject is that you are a member of a species.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 03:09 PM
(12-12-2016 02:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Again relative, not subjective, lol. The meaning of the word is relative to which definition is being used, duh.

I mean look, don't get upset at me because you are wrong and because you had your challenge answered showing you that you're wrong. Be upset with yourself for being arrogant and stupid.

Educate yourself

lol, is this your attempt at saving face among your peers, because you clearly don't know the difference between relative and subjective.

Even though you acknowledged that the statement I made about the definition are objectively true, and that the definition of the terms here, are not a matter of opinion, or personal feelings.

All you did was try to plug the word "subjective" in, where it should have been "relative".

Come on fat boy, just admit your mistake. Own it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
I love watching 2 PhDs get it on.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-12-2016, 03:13 PM
(12-12-2016 02:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They aren't objectively true statements. They are subjectively true because whether they are or are not true is relative to the definition of species being used. Making the definition of a species...wait for it...subjective.

It's objectively true that according to the source you cited, the definition of Cladistic species concept is: A species is a set of organisms (an evolutionary lineage) between two branch points or between one branch point and an extinction event or a modern population?

It's a verifiable fact. Anybody can check the source, and clearly see this is the case.

::Drops the mic::

12-12-2016, 03:18 PM
(12-12-2016 03:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I love watching 2 PhDs get it on.

Has Tommy actually got one? 'Cos I see only one PhD in this discussion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-12-2016, 03:19 PM
(12-12-2016 03:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I mean look, don't get upset at me because you are wrong and because you had your challenge answered showing you that you're wrong. Be upset with yourself for being arrogant and stupid.

Educate yourself

lol, is this your attempt at saving face among your peers, because you clearly don't know the difference between relative and subjective.

Even though you acknowledged that the statement I made about the definition are objectively true, and that the definition of the terms here, are not a matter of opinion, or personal feelings.

All you did was try to plug the word "subjective" in, where it should have been "relative".

Come on fat boy, just admit your mistake. Own it.

"lol, is this your attempt at saving face among your peers, because you clearly don't know the difference between relative and subjective. "

I don't think you seem to understand what is happening within the thread.

"All you did was try to plug the word "subjective" in, where it should have been "relative"."

I don't think you understand how words work.

"Even though you acknowledged that the statement I made about the definition are objectively true, and that the definition of the terms here, are not a matter of opinion, or personal feelings. "

Well, that's just a blatant lie. At no point did I agree that anything you said was objectively true. Tomato the liar strikes again!

"Come on fat boy, just admit your mistake. Own it."

Oh man, he called me fat. How will I go on?

-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 03:20 PM
(12-12-2016 03:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 03:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I love watching 2 PhDs get it on.

Has Tommy actually got one? 'Cos I see only one PhD in this discussion.

I don't actually have my PhD...yet. But soon.

And Tomato's is from...Liberty? The diploma mill, right?

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-12-2016, 03:22 PM
(12-12-2016 03:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 02:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They aren't objectively true statements. They are subjectively true because whether they are or are not true is relative to the definition of species being used. Making the definition of a species...wait for it...subjective.

It's objectively true that according to the source you cited, the definition of Cladistic species concept is: A species is a set of organisms (an evolutionary lineage) between two branch points or between one branch point and an extinction event or a modern population?

It's a verifiable fact. Anybody can check the source, and clearly see this is the case.

::Drops the mic::

hey look, he copied the part where I didn't agree with him about him being correct (the obvious lie in his post preceding this one)

It is subjectively true because whether or not a specimen belongs to one species or another is dependent upon the definition being used.

you should pick that mic back up and turn it off so you don't keep saying stupid shit over the speakers for everyone to hear Laughat

-Rick