Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 03:52 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(12-12-2016 03:51 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 03:50 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I personally don't want to get sick from eating snow, especially snow that's likely been urinated on, or likely contaminated by some agent that left it yellow, that's why I'd avoid eating it.

Good for you.

You came to this conclusion yourself?

stop it, just stop it. I'm gonna get the hiccups.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-12-2016, 03:58 PM
(12-12-2016 03:51 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 03:50 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I personally don't want to get sick from eating snow, especially snow that's likely been urinated on, or likely contaminated by some agent that left it yellow, that's why I'd avoid eating it.

Good for you.

You came to this conclusion yourself?

Yes, I drank urine a couple of times, and it got me sick. It's not my cup of tea.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-12-2016, 04:00 PM
(12-12-2016 10:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 02:49 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
I can't think of a single preference that requires justification. What if there is no justification? Does a person have to justify eating meat to have a preference for eating meat?

No. And that's why I am saying that 'preference' is not synonymous with 'moral'.

(11-12-2016 02:49 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
Justification is another subjective thing altogether. Opinions on justification vary widely, and there seems to no method to determine whether or not something is justified.

I was going to give you a long-winded explanation with lots of examples but you answered your own question...

(11-12-2016 04:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ...
You see, I don't know of anything that people "should" do. Without a stated or known goal that is.

The goal being the justification.

Hi DLJ,

What happens if someone kills an ant and doesn't justify the killing to anyone?

What if someone kills a cow or a human and provides no justification?

As far as I can tell, there isn't a single action (behavior) that requires justification. Even so, again, justification is a purely subjective thing, and we will never have any kind of consensus on this. And even if everyone did agree on something, like we are justified for imprisoning serial killers for life for example, that doesn't mean it is true. Similarly, even if everyone thinks the earth is flat, it doesn't mean its flat.

DLJ, are modern humans justified in eating meat?
12-12-2016, 04:01 PM
(12-12-2016 03:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, I drank urine a couple of times, and it got me sick. It's not my cup of tea.

And....

Come on young man, you can get there.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-12-2016, 04:02 PM
(12-12-2016 04:00 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  DLJ, are modern humans justified in eating meat?

According to my haematologist, YES!

Sorry to speak when the question was directed directly at you DLJ.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
12-12-2016, 04:07 PM

12-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Urine = Roman empire toothpaste.

One wonders if they gargled?

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-12-2016, 04:11 PM
(12-12-2016 04:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Does it taste like pickle juice?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-12-2016, 04:45 PM
(12-12-2016 01:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 11:46 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I subscribe to secular/humanist ethics.
I understand and embrace that these are subjective.
I do not accept that they are merely unsupported opinion, but I'm not conversant enough to argue that point. Perhaps in the future.

Can you provide an example of a single thing that's commonly considered subjective, that you don't see as a matter of opinion? Or is it just the subjectivity of morality that's unique in this regard?

I have no desire to participate in your science experiments. Should I add that to my sig line?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM
(12-12-2016 04:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 03:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yes, I drank urine a couple of times, and it got me sick. It's not my cup of tea.

And....

Come on young man, you can get there.

Clearly he can't. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post