Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(13-12-2016 12:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So sure, you can say you prefer to get filthy rich at the expense of others and I can say that I prefer that you didn't. But it's not the same as a preference for blondes over brunettes because the latter example requires no justification.

I don't have to morally justify myself to anyone, anymore so than I have to justify to anyone why I like brunettes over blondes. Other animals who engage in a variety of behaviors we refer to as moral, clearly don't need to justify that behavior.

In fact when considering non-human animals, it should be quite evident to us that an animals preference for one behavior over the other, is very much akin to a preference over one kind of food but not the other, a sexual preference for one kind of animal over another, etc.. That the actions behaviors, are governed by the sensations favoring one thing over the other.

But clearly when most people speak of morality, they speak of justification, obligation, duties, etc.. but these are all remnants of beliefs from religious traditions that subscribed to a transcendent moral order, that all of us are supposedly accountable to, and must justify out actions in accordance with.

But this is just an illusion, that's been carried over.

I don't have to justify my actions morally to anyone, if others do, it's more less built on false, but old stubborn religious beliefs we haven't fully discarded.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
13-12-2016, 01:54 PM
(13-12-2016 01:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 12:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So sure, you can say you prefer to get filthy rich at the expense of others and I can say that I prefer that you didn't. But it's not the same as a preference for blondes over brunettes because the latter example requires no justification.

I don't have to morally justify myself to anyone, anymore so than I have to justify to anyone why I like brunettes over blondes. Other animals who engage in a variety of behaviors we refer to as moral, clearly don't need to justify that behavior.

In fact when considering non-human animals, it should be quite evident to us that an animals preference for one behavior over the other, is very much akin to a preference over one kind of food but not the other, a sexual preference for one kind of animal over another, etc.. That the actions behaviors, are governed by the sensations favoring one thing over the other.

But clearly when most people speak of morality, they speak of justification, obligation, duties, etc.. but these are all remnants of beliefs from religious traditions that subscribed to a transcendent moral order, that all of us are supposedly accountable to, and must justify out actions in accordance with.

But this is just an illusion, that's been carried over.

I don't have to justify my actions morally to anyone, if others do, it's more less built on false, but old stubborn religious beliefs we haven't fully discarded.

Ah, OK, sorry. I didn't realise that you were an anarchist.

Good to know.

(13-12-2016 01:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
beliefs from religious traditions

Try reversing that.

Instincts --> Desires --> Practices --> Beliefs --> Rituals --> Traditions --> Religions

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-12-2016, 02:22 PM
(13-12-2016 01:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ah, OK, sorry. I didn't realise that you were an anarchist.

Good to know.

I'm not.

But I'm curious, when you speak of moral justifications, are anarchists excluded from having to justify themselves?

Quote:Instincts --> Desires --> Practices --> Beliefs --> Rituals --> Traditions --> Religions

Formalized religions maybe, religious beliefs on the other, such as beliefs in spirits, transcendent moral order, etc... seems to be old as beliefs themselves. The birth of beliefs and religions seem to have gone hand in hand.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-12-2016, 04:18 PM
(13-12-2016 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 01:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ah, OK, sorry. I didn't realise that you were an anarchist.

Good to know.

I'm not.

But I'm curious, when you speak of moral justifications, are anarchists excluded from having to justify themselves?

Quote:Instincts --> Desires --> Practices --> Beliefs --> Rituals --> Traditions --> Religions

Formalized religions maybe, religious beliefs on the other, such as beliefs in spirits, transcendent moral order, etc... seems to be old as beliefs themselves. The birth of beliefs and religions seem to have gone hand in hand.

I'm curious... do you read what you write?

Undecided

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-12-2016, 04:52 PM
(13-12-2016 04:18 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not.

I'm curious... do you read what you write?

Undecided

I'm not sure he knows what he writes, let alone read it after typing it.

Tomato be like:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2016, 04:55 PM
I love that he asked this question: "Do you see anyone agreeing with you?" Laughat

Yes, I see several people agreeing with me and literally no one agreeing with you Laugh out load

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2016, 07:04 PM
(13-12-2016 04:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I love that he asked this question: "Do you see anyone agreeing with you?" Laughat

Yes, I see several people agreeing with me and literally no one agreeing with you Laugh out load

Can you name these several people here who agree with you that it's not objectively true, that it's not a verifiable fact, that the online Merriam Webster dictionary defines a dog as:
a : canid; especially : a highly variable domestic mammal (Canis familiaris) closely related to the gray wolf

Who are these several individuals who agree with you here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13-12-2016, 07:20 PM
(13-12-2016 07:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 04:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I love that he asked this question: "Do you see anyone agreeing with you?" Laughat

Can you name these several people here who agree with you that it's not objectively true, that it's not a verifiable fact, that the online Merriam Webster dictionary defines a dog as:
a : canid; especially : a highly variable domestic mammal (Canis familiaris) closely related to the gray wolf

You are lazy and ignorant. Read and look at things like the "like" button

(Hint: you are neither smart nor wise based on the substance of your replies)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2016, 07:28 PM
(13-12-2016 07:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 07:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Can you name these several people here who agree with you that it's not objectively true, that it's not a verifiable fact, that the online Merriam Webster dictionary defines a dog as:

You are lazy and ignorant. Read and look at things like the "like" button

Haha, so you can't name the several people who you claim agree with you on this? At best all you can do is appeal to the single lackey Fatbaldhobbit liking your post?

What a chump.

13-12-2016, 07:31 PM
(13-12-2016 07:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 07:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You are lazy and ignorant. Read and look at things like the "like" button

Haha, so you can't name the several people who you claim agree with you on this? At best all you can do is appeal to the single lackey Fatbaldhobbit liking your post?

What a chump.

Thus tomato confirms his trolling ignorance is still chugging along at full speed Drinking Beverage

Does being this big of a douche come naturally to you or have you practiced at it? Consider

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post