Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(23-11-2016 05:49 PM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 05:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. So you can't.
You have no argument, no source for YOUR opinions on what is "intrinsically wrong", no way to validate that others share your opinions, that your opinions are in any way "the right ones" and no rational way to support what you are saying. There is no such thing as "objective morality". If there were, you could easily anwser these questions.

Facepalm

Bucky go read the thread again, calmly, and come back when you understand what we are all here to talk about, you are starting to make me fell ashamed on your behalf...

Nice try at evasion.
Answer the questions.
No need to "fell" ashamed for anyone, except yourself and your inability to reason.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2016, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 06:20 PM by Velvet.)
(23-11-2016 06:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Do you have a better system?

No, I'm learning a bunch of them, to see if any of them makes sense Inquisition...

But for now i'm inclined to suspend all judgment of moral value... at least all of those that I can control.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
23-11-2016, 06:16 PM
(23-11-2016 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  *which

(23-11-2016 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There's nothing to focus on, as you have not really said anything coherently about MORALITY, what it's* uses are, or from where it arises. You spelled out nothing. It's not about Craig. He just happens to be wrong, and so are you.

*its

(23-11-2016 04:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
Tell us the objective standard you are championing, and tell us where you found it, and where it came from.

Bucky,
Velvet is not championing objective standards.

Please go back and read the OP. You're embarrassing yourself.

Dodgy

Drinking Beverage ... thanks.

I was starting to consider I was typing in egyptian without realizing it.

[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
23-11-2016, 06:20 PM
(23-11-2016 06:14 PM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Do you have a better system?

No, I'm learning a bunch of them, to see if any of them makes sense...

A lot of brilliant philosophers have a lot to say about that. Frankly it makes my head hurt, I think I'm just resigned to the idea that it is what it is. Thumbsup

After my life as a Christian, I've had it with passing judgement on humans, we're just a bunch of silly apes. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-11-2016, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 06:35 PM by Velvet.)
(23-11-2016 06:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:14 PM)Velvet Wrote:  No, I'm learning a bunch of them, to see if any of them makes sense...

A lot of brilliant philosophers have a lot to say about that. Frankly it makes my head hurt, I think I'm just resigned to the idea that it is what it is. Thumbsup

After my life as a Christian, I've had it with passing judgement on humans, we're just a bunch of silly apes. Big Grin

Yes, I'm still having trouble recognizing any of the ''ground'' premises as right/good.

I don't intuitively feel that well being, justice, equality or even survival of human species are necessarily good.

I feel knowledge is good, maybe better than happiness... idk if its fair to include it on well being tho, since some people envy the simplicity that comes from the absence of knowledge.

So yeah I'm a little lost, but for now I'm attempting to my suspend judgment on moral values...

@DLJ I did listen to half of the lecture, but my headset is broken, tomorrow at work (if I have time) I will listen to the rest of it.

Utilitarianism seems hard to not consider... the concept of '''net expected value'' makes a for a very intuitive and elegant system, but I'm still skeptic, so I'm researching more...

[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post
23-11-2016, 06:33 PM
She can't support her claim in any way.
Quote:Because some people rather being happy and deluded, I prefer knowing the truth regardless of consequences, I think happiness is only valuable if it is based on a real reason to feel happiness... I usually value knowledge more than happiness, most people don't feel that way.

I simply asked where she got her "truth".
She was unable to provide any answer.
She is no better than any religious nut job out there assuming they are in possession of "the truth".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-11-2016, 06:39 PM
(23-11-2016 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  *its

Totally wrong.
HOC taught me my its and it's. Facepalm Tongue
If you intent to say "it is", it's "it's". Its is possessive.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2016, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 06:44 PM by Velvet.)
(23-11-2016 06:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  She can't support her claim in any way.
Quote:Because some people rather being happy and deluded, I prefer knowing the truth regardless of consequences, I think happiness is only valuable if it is based on a real reason to feel happiness... I usually value knowledge more than happiness, most people don't feel that way.

She is no better than any religious nut job out there assuming they are in possession of "the truth".

Why are you lying to us now?

It was quite clear that when you asked for ''my truth'' you were talking about my objective morality concept... you even said I'm was ''championing'' one.

In any case... I didn't said I know the truth, I said I rather knowing than being deluded (given that I have a choice), because some people, disagree with me on that, they say that happiness is more valuable...

In a sense, if they were completely happy because they were trapped on a dream when everything is perfect, they would rather never waking up and facing reality.

I was refuting the idea that happiness is necessarily the value that everyone wants above all...

23-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Velvet: "I'm only advocating that if we are not currently equipped to judge, then we shouldn't judge..."

How are we not "equipped to judge" when judging one another appears to be a rather common animal behavior? Consider

Also, what's wrong with judging one another? I've learned a lot of valuable information from judging others and even judged myself by judging others.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
23-11-2016, 06:43 PM
(23-11-2016 06:41 PM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  She can't support her claim in any way.

Why are you lying to us now?

It was quite clear that when you asked for ''my truth'' you were talking about my objective morality concept...

In any case... I didn't said I know the truth, I said I rather knowing than being deluded (given that I have a choice), because some people, disagree with me on that, they say that happiness is more valuable...

In a sense, if they were completely happy because they were trapped on a dream when everything is perfect, they would rather never waking up and facing reality.

I asked you where you got your "intrinsic" values. You were unable to tell us.
You're the one changing the goal posts here.