Where is the Basis for our Judgments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: Where is the Basis for our Judgments?
(23-11-2016 06:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I asked you where you got your "intrinsic" values. You were unable to tell us.
You're the one changing the goal posts here.

That's because you are crazy...

I never said I had intrinsic values, I said that if something does not have an intrinsic value, then its morally relative... its a matter of opinion...

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
23-11-2016, 06:48 PM
(23-11-2016 06:46 PM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I asked you where you got your "intrinsic" values. You were unable to tell us.
You're the one changing the goal posts here.

That's because you are crazy...

I never said I had intrinsic values, I said that if something does not have an intrinsic value, then its morally relative... its a matter of opinion...

That's a gross oversimplification of moral relativity to say that it's equivalent to an opinion. That's like saying that time is equivalent with opinion because of the theory of relativity.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-11-2016, 06:48 PM
(23-11-2016 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Bucky,
Velvet is not championing objective standards.

Please go back and read the OP. You're embarrassing yourself.

Quote:Why should we be able to say something in wrong just because enough people agree?

If something isn't intrinsically wrong (and it isn't) then is not wrong at all, its just a matter of opinion...

If it is a matter of opinion how can we say someone is wrong? That person just hold a different opinion, someone is wrong for acting out of fashion? for being innovative in morality?

That means the first slave to think (or say) that slavery is a bad thing was wrong? (because at the time many people agree on it)

Sorry DLJ. It's (haha) YOU that need to do the re-reading.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-11-2016, 06:51 PM
(23-11-2016 06:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:46 PM)Velvet Wrote:  That's because you are crazy...

That's a gross oversimplification of moral relativity to say that it's equivalent to an opinion. That's like saying that time is equivalent with opinion because of the theory of relativity.

EXACTLY. And you never defined what "intrinsic value" was, or where you got that from, or how you know it is the same for everyone. You were UNABLE to even tell us where it came from, or how it is different from an opinion. You have no clue what you're even talking about, and you have defined NOTHING.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-11-2016, 06:52 PM
(23-11-2016 06:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How are we not "equipped to judge" when judging one another appears to be a rather common animal behavior? Consider

Also, what's wrong with judging one another? I've learned a lot of valuable information from judging others and even judged myself by judging others.

What I mean is that we are not equipped to judge others in moral value, because we are using a relative (unsupported) opinion, to judge another relative (unsupported) opinion...

Would be saying his house is wrong, because its blue, and the right would be red, because in your opinion the right way to paint a house is with the red color.

Well... its in my interest to act in coherent with my own views, I don't like to be dishonest or self-deceived, thinking in one way and acting on other way...

If you have no problem with judging someone acts in way that doesn't make really sense then I guess that's ok...

23-11-2016, 06:55 PM
(23-11-2016 06:52 PM)Velvet Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How are we not "equipped to judge" when judging one another appears to be a rather common animal behavior? Consider

Also, what's wrong with judging one another? I've learned a lot of valuable information from judging others and even judged myself by judging others.

What I mean is that we are not equipped to judge others in moral value, because we are using a relative (unsupported) opinion, to judge another relative (unsupported) opinion...

Would be saying his house is wrong, because its blue, and the right would be red, because in your opinion the right way to paint a house is with the red color.

Well... its in my interest to act in coherent with my own views, I don't like to be dishonest or self-deceived, thinking in one way and acting on other way...

If you have no problem with judging someone acts in way that doesn't make really sense then I guess that's ok...

You're still grossly oversimplifying things. What leads you to say that the basis of all moral judgements are unsupported? Are you arguing that people arbitrarily make moral decisions and arbitrarily decide upon their morals? Consider

-Rick
23-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Also, on this specific point: "If you have no problem with judging someone acts in way that doesn't make really sense then I guess that's ok..."

You have no idea how I judge someone's moral actions. Don't be arrogant and presumptuous.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-11-2016, 06:57 PM
(23-11-2016 06:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:46 PM)Velvet Wrote:  That's because you are crazy...

Actually that would be like saying time is equivalent with speed because of the theory of relativity.

Setting that aside, can you elaborate on why this is a oversimplification?

23-11-2016, 06:58 PM
(23-11-2016 06:46 PM)Velvet Wrote:  I never said I had intrinsic values, I said that if something does not have an intrinsic value, then its morally relative... its a matter of opinion...

And you STILL have never answered the questions, hypothetical or otherwise.
You STILL have defined NOTHING and you STILL have not explained where "intrinsic values" come from and how they are different from opinions.

23-11-2016, 06:59 PM
(23-11-2016 06:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Also, on this specific point: "If you have no problem with judging someone acts in way that doesn't make really sense then I guess that's ok..."

You have no idea how I judge someone's moral actions. Don't be arrogant and presumptuous.

Well you asked whats the problem with judging?

I said that it doesn`t necessarily have a problem, I HAVE a problem with judging in a incoherent way because I don't want to be incoherent.

Yes I have no idea how you judge someone`s moral actions, but I'm not assuming I do...

Can you tell me how you do it?

[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post