Where is the Better Place?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Where is the Better Place?
I was just clubbed over the head like a baby seal in Canada when I read this headline on one of the news sites: 'Family: Couple in a Better Place'. Albeit for me to disrespect the memory of a loving couple - and I really don't mean to, but the point I've been making for years is the fact that we all live for what helps us sleep at night. Again - The Warm Fuzzy!

I find it difficult to believe in a 'better place' once the dirt hits my cloth covered face, and the maggots begin their festive buffet. While my corpse is serving up a fondue of what was left in my gullet when I shat the last remnants of life out of me, I really wonder... Hmmm. I wonder how people KNOW there's a 'better place. Is there any proof that such a place exists? Has anyone brought any antiquities back?

Please - I beg of you. Is there a better place? And where in the hell is the road map?

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like arcticspear's post
01-02-2012, 06:20 AM
RE: Where is the Better Place?
I find it odd that if they really . . . I mean really, believe they're in a "better place" why are they so sad. I mean if someone told you that your loved one is in a place of total bliss and, guess what, you'll see them again in 50 years or so and spend eternity with them in this place wouldn't you be thrilled for them not sad. As an atheist I'm sad because I realize they are very likely gone forever and will never be seen again by anybody.

Sounds to me like a good reason to start a belief system that makes you less scared of death.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
What better place? Smile Treat the world you are in now as the best place! Treat every day as the best day! Every day there is something new to learn, every day there is some experience to be gained. Help others, be kind, and don't be a hypocrite.

When you pass on, who knows what will happen. It may be indeed an eternal rest, but heaven or no heaven, there is always an afterlife for you, manifested in the memories of the people you have kindly helped.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
It's my local greek diner.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
(01-02-2012 04:18 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  I find it difficult to believe in a 'better place' once the dirt hits my cloth covered face, and the maggots begin their festive buffet. While my corpse is serving up a fondue of what was left in my gullet when I shat the last remnants of life out of me, I really wonder... Hmmm. I wonder how people KNOW there's a 'better place. Is there any proof that such a place exists? Has anyone brought any antiquities back?

Please - I beg of you. Is there a better place? And where in the hell is the road map?

This is a better place than that unless you get off on the idea of feeding the bugs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

And this is the third time I've embedded this video here. That's just fucking morbid.

I have forgiven 51 unprovoked insults Heywood Jahblome has directed at forum members.
09-02-2012, 04:51 AM
[URL="http://www.explosm.net/comics/2645/"]
[Image: abetterplace.png][/URL]
Cyanide & Happiness @ [URL="http://www.explosm.net/"]Explosm.net[/URL]
They put this strip up when Hitch died.

'The world holds two classes of men: intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.' - Abdallah al-Ma'arri
[+] 2 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
09-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Why is it always "A better place"? It could be a worse place or even a place that is neither better or worse than "here". Wait a second. Where is "here"? It's not "there", that's for sure. Perhaps "here" is the parallel to "there" which means that because "here" is neither good nor bad that means that "there" is the same. The polar opposite to the middle is the middle. Here's a thought. Let's say you don't want to go "there" but you don't want to be "here" either? Is there more than one choice? Can I choose more than one like a bundle pack? Do I get a discount? What the hell am I paying with?..................................I'm confused now.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!