Where's my apartment on a space colony????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Where's my apartment on a space colony????
This was the rage after the moonshots after the 1960s and 70s. Physicist Gerard O'Neill proposed these and said they would be available for commercial use in the 2000s. So where's mine, dammit?

Of course it costs trillions and we're still about 150 years behind on the engineering, but still....

[Image: nasa_space_colony_1970_7.jpeg]
I want to be like the happy couple shopping at the 70s Modernist shopping mall, or enjoying zero G recreation.

Nobody cared about the future. We can have a space colony or a million goddamn educated kids. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

[Image: nasa_space_colony_1970_8.jpeg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
30-05-2012, 03:32 PM
RE: Where's my apartment on a space colony????
I'm still waiting for the flying car I was promised would come in the year 2000.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Flying cars exist homie.

As for colonies on the moon, you might get your wish if the independent space faring companies get around to mining it within your lifetime.

Me, I'd rather not live on the moon. Another planet maybe, but hopefully that planet has a lot of moons for asteroid deflection.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Wheres my hoverboard?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
30-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Right here you lazy asshole.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
30-05-2012, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 06:38 PM by DeepThought.)
Asteroid mining is where it's at!

Planets are a pain with the gravity well and all that rubbish.

Nice 400km diameter chunks of rock it work out really profitable. Use a large parabolic mirror for energy/heat breaking up the rock and smelting.

If we manage to get thousands of tons up there it might be possible to get some real self sustaining industry up there. Asteroids are rich in water and carbon compounds so it should be possible to replace water, hydrogen/oxygen and even crush some rock for use as soil to grow vegetables.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
30-05-2012, 06:37 PM
(30-05-2012 06:29 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Right here you lazy asshole.
It only hovers if you don't stand on it. Not quite what I'm after.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
30-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Nothing will satisfy you. We're broken up.

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
30-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Leave it to Luc to be up to date on all the cool gadgets.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-05-2012, 11:41 PM
(30-05-2012 06:34 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Asteroid mining is where it's at!

Planets are a pain with the gravity well and all that rubbish.

Nice 400km diameter chunks of rock it work out really profitable. Use a large parabolic mirror for energy/heat breaking up the rock and smelting.

If we manage to get thousands of tons up there it might be possible to get some real self sustaining industry up there. Asteroids are rich in water and carbon compounds so it should be possible to replace water, hydrogen/oxygen and even crush some rock for use as soil to grow vegetables.
People bitch about the price of fuel now, imagine if they were transporting massive loads of rock from space, then launching back into orbit and doing this over and over...
You'd almost need a giant shoot from earth to a small station of sorts orbiting our planet in which you can dump all the material down. Of course then you gotta worry about a massive heavy tube from earth to space...

I don't think we will ever mine things like asteroids. I wouldn't think it's economically viable at all.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.