Where's my apartment on a space colony????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 11:41 PM
RE: Where's my apartment on a space colony????
I WANT A SPACE APARTMENT!!!!!!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 11:59 PM
(30-05-2012 03:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm still waiting for the flying car I was promised would come in the year 2000.

Flying cars have existed sin the 1950s. Sometimes called road able airplanes.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2012, 12:09 AM
(30-05-2012 06:34 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Asteroid mining is where it's at!

Planets are a pain with the gravity well and all that rubbish.

Nice 400km diameter chunks of rock it work out really profitable. Use a large parabolic mirror for energy/heat breaking up the rock and smelting.

If we manage to get thousands of tons up there it might be possible to get some real self sustaining industry up there. Asteroids are rich in water and carbon compounds so it should be possible to replace water, hydrogen/oxygen and even crush some rock for use as soil to grow vegetables.

I think the first major step to doing so would be the development and deployment of a space elevator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

This would allow delivery of meaningful payloads to geosynchronous orbit at a fraction of the current costs. The nation that can successfully deploy one would effectively control space exploration for at least the next century.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Until this exists, you and Lucradis can suck my...flying car exhaust pipe!

[Image: index.GIF]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
31-05-2012, 12:20 AM
(30-05-2012 11:41 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  People bitch about the price of fuel now, imagine if they were transporting massive loads of rock from space, then launching back into orbit and doing this over and over...
You'd almost need a giant shoot from earth to a small station of sorts orbiting our planet in which you can dump all the material down. Of course then you gotta worry about a massive heavy tube from earth to space...

I don't think we will ever mine things like asteroids. I wouldn't think it's economically viable at all.

Quite the contrary. Most of the effort is expended getting things out of earths gravity well. Once you are free from earth you can pretty much go anywhere with very little fuel.

Once you have the equipment to mine asteroids and refine metals you leave it in space.

Resupply of water will not be necessary and some asteroid materials can be used to construct shelters in space. Spin them for artificial gravity and your set!

The mining equipment only needs maintenance. You leave it there and keep the operation going 24/7. Then move on to the next asteroid.

Each time you have a sizeable lump of metal you give it a shove and push it towards earth. A crew in earth orbit will help guide the raw material to it's final destination for re-entry.

The value of the raw material would give our current mining companies a run for their money.. Especially since the metals are already refined harnessing the 24/7 sunlight available in space. The amount of metal would make it more than worthwhile.

It only requires a few square km of thin foil to focus the suns energy. Imagine!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
31-05-2012, 12:28 AM
wait wait wait, back the truck up a bit there.

You want to chuck sizable clumps of space rock at the earth?
Little dangerous?
Not to mention half of your effort will be burnt up in the atmosphere.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
31-05-2012, 12:45 AM
(31-05-2012 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  wait wait wait, back the truck up a bit there.

Little dangerous?
Yeah, chuck it at earth - we are already good at hitting targets. They would use silicates and other waste material as an ablative heat sheild.

Wouldn't send large chunks... and since they are pure refined metals (very dense) they wouldn't have much surface area to burn up..

Even without a coating the purified metals wouldn't burn up in the atmosphere like your unprocessed asteroid with all the loose rock and ice in it.

31-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Although that does look nice, I prefer the idea of Halo more, where most human living quarters would be underground while the topside would be largely covered by nature.
31-05-2012, 04:43 AM
(31-05-2012 12:45 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(31-05-2012 12:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  wait wait wait, back the truck up a bit there.

Little dangerous?
Yeah, chuck it at earth - we are already good at hitting targets. They would use silicates and other waste material as an ablative heat sheild.

Wouldn't send large chunks... and since they are pure refined metals (very dense) they wouldn't have much surface area to burn up..

Even without a coating the purified metals wouldn't burn up in the atmosphere like your unprocessed asteroid with all the loose rock and ice in it.
Still missing the slight details of the landing.

Not to mention if it explodes before reaching the ground. That can happen, it's happened above Siberia, the explosion took out a very very large chunk of forest (because well, Siberia is just one forest lets be honest here).
Scientist actually believe that if an asteroid explodes above the surface that it does more damage then if it just lands.

ahh, here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
yes I do know lots of useless information. Well not useless to me, very interesting to me, but to the general population all this knowledge in my head is useless. But then again the general public's idea of knowing a lot is knowing the names of all the Jhonas brothers or whoever the young people are into these days. But that's for another day.

Airburst its called. Imagine if that shit happened over a major city...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
31-05-2012, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 05:32 AM by DeepThought.)
(31-05-2012 04:43 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Still missing the slight details of the landing.

Not to mention if it explodes before reaching the ground. That can happen, it's happened above Siberia, the explosion took out a very very large chunk of forest (because well, Siberia is just one forest lets be honest here).
Scientist actually believe that if an asteroid explodes above the surface that it does more damage then if it just lands.

ahh, here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
yes I do know lots of useless information. Well not useless to me, very interesting to me, but to the general population all this knowledge in my head is useless. But then again the general public's idea of knowing a lot is knowing the names of all the Jhonas brothers or whoever the young people are into these days. But that's for another day.

Airburst its called. Imagine if that shit happened over a major city...

We get stuff back through the atmosphere without explosions just fine if we want it that way. This is a big lump of metal. There is nothing to explode in a huge lump of metal. Pure metal asteroids would never happen in nature.

Also there is no landing to worry about. Send it down in a desert that hasn't got people nearby for roughly 100km in all directions. Australia has areas like that.

When it hits there will be a small 'thud' but the cargo being a lump of metal will not mind at all. It will be measured on the Richter scale as a micro tremor though pretty harmless. really... This sort of thing would be routine when you consider the size and weight of the space shuttle - these aerodynamically shaped solid pieces of metal coated with glass will do just fine!

Tangent: Did you know that the Russians used plywood (impregnated with a flame retardant chemical) as an ablative coating for their Soyuz. They never had a heat shield fail. The plywood is cheap and would function as a one off heat shield slowly burning off as it enters the atmosphere.

These lumps of metal aren't carrying people. It's a lump of metal wanted for it's raw materials very much like a hammer - not a fully functioning spacecraft. You can mistreat your hammer and it will probably survive. I don't know the maths but I'm pretty sure metal in one solid lump like that would get through the atmosphere mostly unaffected. Metal is a good thermal conductor and maybe the outside would get hot and melty but - who cares?

Maybe someone who knows the physics can confirm this? I'm pretty sure it's right.

EDIT: Another thing to consider - we wouldn't send it flying into earth at cometary speeds. It would have much less kinetic energy than a comet. It would probably be parked for a while in earth orbit and then sent in on a precisely controlled de-orbit burn.

Given the value of the cargo no expense would be spared making sure it hits its target.