Where's the Evidence??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 04:36 AM
RE: Where's the Evidence??
HE IS BACK!

Hello and welcome back Upright. I see you have continued on your merry way to try and use all sorts of philosophy to explain something and you still didn't explain where are you going with these explanations.

Please refer to this post: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid107001 and care to answer one question with one simple few-words answer. Until you do that, there is nothing for us to discuss.

Thank you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2012, 05:24 AM
I'll admit that I only read the first ten pages so I apologise if I am repeating things that have already been said.

OP, are you a biologist? A geneticist? A passionate dabbler? I find having such discussions with laymen to be pointless, because they don't know all the facts, and neither do I. The people who do this for a living, have doctorates, have published papers, understand this better than us.

I can imagine if I walked into a conversation about statistical machine translation vs rule-based machine translation, right? And heard one side adamantly arguing that rule-based machine translation has to yield better results, because statistical machine translation just doesn't make as much sense, and the reviewers who say otherwise must be biased, as must be all the evaluation metrics we use. What would I do? Possibly kill myself face-palming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have evidence that proves ID, write a paper, get it peer reviewed, and collect your Nobel Prize. Don't argue with laymen on the Internet.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post
14-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Smoosh, he is a philosopher. You all use more philosophy to talk to him, so you all fail in your attempts. What you need to do is ask the simple question and demand only a simple answer made out of a few word. That way his weapon is malfunctioning and you have a chance to show him in his true light. But since he is very good in the field of philosophy, this is going to be hard, because he just refuses to play by my rules/questions. This can also be used against him, as he is therefor unable to have a normal conversation.

Am I right? There is only one way to disprove me. Answer my questions in a way I have asked.

Evil_monster

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
14-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Perhaps I'm just dumb, but this looks like a map of the world situation. Of course, the best map of the world, is the world, but it looks like UB is saying that the world cannot be the world. Huh

Fucking philosophers. Big Grin

And it also seems like yer putting the conclusion before the observation.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 07:50 AM
(14-09-2012 07:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Perhaps I'm just dumb, but this looks like a map of the world situation. Of course, the best map of the world, is the world, but it looks like UB is saying that the world cannot be the world. Huh

Professor Emeritus Howard Pattee disagrees with you Dodgy
14-09-2012, 08:35 AM
(14-09-2012 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 07:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Perhaps I'm just dumb, but this looks like a map of the world situation. Of course, the best map of the world, is the world, but it looks like UB is saying that the world cannot be the world. Huh

Professor Emeritus Howard Pattee disagrees with you Dodgy

And his ideas are pretty flaky. Biosemiotics is woo. There are no symbols in biological molecules, they are just molecules.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-09-2012, 08:41 AM
(14-09-2012 08:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  Professor Emeritus Howard Pattee disagrees with you Dodgy

And his ideas are pretty flaky. Biosemiotics is woo. There are no symbols in biological molecules, they are just molecules.

Sez you. How do you know Prof Pattee isn't staring at a little "Made In China" logo under the microscope right now ?
14-09-2012, 08:46 AM
(14-09-2012 08:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 08:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  And his ideas are pretty flaky. Biosemiotics is woo. There are no symbols in biological molecules, they are just molecules.

Sez you. How do you know Prof Pattee isn't staring at a little "Made In China" logo under the microscope right now ?

I don't know if I've ever said this before, but show me the evidence. Consider

Oh, wait. You're poking the old dog with a stick, aren't you?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-09-2012, 08:49 AM
(14-09-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 08:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Sez you. How do you know Prof Pattee isn't staring at a little "Made In China" logo under the microscope right now ?

I don't know if I've ever said this before, but show me the evidence. Consider

Tee hee Big Grin I was wondering if you thought I was serious Tongue
14-09-2012, 08:51 AM
(14-09-2012 08:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know if I've ever said this before, but show me the evidence. Consider

Tee hee Big Grin I was wondering if you thought I was serious Tongue

Yeah, I felt like I was talking to Lumi.Shocking My apologies.Sad