Where's the money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Where's the money?
(20-08-2017 11:56 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  July fundraising numbers are out. The Democrat National Committee only received $3.8 million last month from donors. The RNC pulled over $10 million again....

As an overseas observer of American politics, I'm not quite certain why you repeatedly make such a big deal out of political donations—as some sort of "barometer" for the success and/or failure of a particular political party?

Here in Australia, it's traditional that the Liberal (currently governing) party attracts many more dollars from the big end of town (millionaires and corporatists), but your logic would then indicate that the current opposition Labor party (workers and unions)—which receives far less financial support—would never gain power. When the facts of our regularly alternating Liberal/Labor governments, both Federal and Sate, contradict that. This suggests that at the end of the day, party donations don't tell the full story; nor do their sizes guarantee any sort of positive outcome at the ballot box.

Quote:Through June, small donations (under $200) accounted for $33 million for republicans and $21 million for democrats. (small dollar donations give us an idea where the active bases of each party stand).

And quoting from your first link—and which would indicate that money doesn't do all the talking—I note that:

A new group of polls show President Trump’s favorabllity rating has fallen below 40% in three key states that helped him win the White House in 2016. The three polls, conducted by NBC News/Marist in the states of Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, show more than half of registered voters have an unfavorable view of Trump.

In Michigan, Trump’s favorability rating stands at 36% compared to 55% unfavorable. 35% of registered voters in Pennsylvania have a favorable opinion of Trump compared to 54% who have an unfavorable opinion of him.

Quote:The republican base is fired up. I know that when a president has low approval numbers that his party generally loses seats in the midterms and lose the money battle. But for some reason the republicans are winning the money battle big time. Defying the odds.

And again... there is no "money battle". It's a far more complicated equation. But I agree; the incumbent invariably loses seats at the mid-terms, and Trump will undoubtedly lose—in all probability—a record number. (Since 1842 the president’s party has lost seats in 40 of 43 midterm elections.)

Quote:Midterms are notorious for having lower turnout than presidential elections...

Agreed. Only 36.9% of eligible voters cast a vote in the 2010 midterm that put the House back into Republican hands. Which is probably an indictment against the slack-arse American citizenship who last year put Trump in the White House by—as it turns out now—a massive mistake, aided and abetted by the Electoral College.

And as a side note, I see that Kenneth Frazier, (CEO of Merck Pharmaceuticals), Kevin Plank (CEO of Under Armour), Brian Krzanich, (CEO of Intel), Scott Paul (President of the Alliance for American Manufacturing), and Richard Trumka (President of The AFL–CIO) have all left Trump's 'Manufacturing Council' as a protest against his policies—which represent "expressions of hatred, bigotry and group supremacy". Maybe... just maybe, the other big money will desert Trump too?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
20-08-2017, 01:37 PM
(20-08-2017 01:27 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 01:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you actually think you can buy votes ?

Fact: The party/candidate that raises the most money wins 90% of the time.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...e508352072

http://letsfreecongress.org/

90 % of the time may not apply here. Never has the US had such an obviously insane man at the helm, and never has someone whose entire business career been about to be exposed as corrupt beyond belief, been in charge, after hijacking a party which he was never really in sympathy with, in the first place.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-08-2017, 01:42 PM
(20-08-2017 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  90 % of the time may not apply here. Never has the US had such an obviously insane man at the helm, and never has someone whose entire business career been about to be exposed as corrupt beyond belief, been in charge, after hijacking a party which he was never really in sympathy with, in the first place.

Agree totally. Trump's loss could well be the one in 10 that proves the 90% winning with money rule.

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-08-2017, 01:47 PM
(20-08-2017 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 01:27 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Fact: The party/candidate that raises the most money wins 90% of the time.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...e508352072

http://letsfreecongress.org/

90 % of the time may not apply here. Never has the US had such an obviously insane man at the helm, and never has someone whose entire business career been about to be exposed as corrupt beyond belief, been in charge, after hijacking a party which he was never really in sympathy with, in the first place.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

It could be that because we have become so partisan as a nation that it doesn't matter what the presidents party is. Obama had fairly good approval ratings throughout his presidency, however democrats lost 1,000 government seats during his 8 years. Republicans aren't going to vote for democrat candidates in the midterms just because they dislike Trump. It doesn't work that way anymore. All that matters now is which parties base is more fired up. Follow the money and it points to republicans.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
20-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Thanks for reminding me...I've been meaning to donate.

MIL asked that we do a thing in her name to the Democratic Party. The money was put aside for that purpose.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2017, 02:07 PM
(20-08-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It could be that because we have become so partisan as a nation that it doesn't matter what the president's party is....

Unfortunately, we have a similar electoral occurrence here in Australia. We have "rusted-on" voters on both sides of our basically two-party system; the well-educated, money-grubbing, corporatist Liberals on one side, and the disruptive, union-led, often ill-educated Labor rank and file on the other.

Some old blokes I speak with have voted either Liberal or Labor for more than 50 years, regardless of who the candidates are. I'm guessing the same sort of thing applies in America?

20-08-2017, 02:10 PM
(20-08-2017 02:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It could be that because we have become so partisan as a nation that it doesn't matter what the president's party is....

Unfortunately, we have a similar electoral occurrence here in Australia. We have "rusted-on" voters on both sides of our basically two-party system; the well-educated, money-grubbing, corporatist Liberals on one side, and the disruptive, union-led, often ill-educated Labor rank and file on the other.

Some old blokes I speak with have voted either Liberal or Labor for more than 50 years, regardless of who the candidates are. I'm guessing the same sort of thing applies in America?

Yeah. And there's a small group of "swing" voters in the middle that both parties try to win. Lately they've been voting republican. But it could change at any time.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
20-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I dunno..

LDH pulled a miracle outta his butt last time....

He just might be right.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-08-2017, 07:34 PM
(20-08-2017 01:33 PM)SYZ Wrote:  As an overseas observer of American politics, I'm not quite certain why you repeatedly make such a big deal out of political donations—as some sort of "barometer" for the success and/or failure of a particular political party?

Here in Australia, it's traditional that the Liberal (currently governing) party attracts many more dollars from the big end of town (millionaires and corporatists), but your logic would then indicate that the current opposition Labor party (workers and unions)—which receives far less financial support—would never gain power. When the facts of our regularly alternating Liberal/Labor governments, both Federal and Sate, contradict that. This suggests that at the end of the day, party donations don't tell the full story; nor do their sizes guarantee any sort of positive outcome at the ballot box.

In the past two presidential elections Obama raised more than the Republicans did. The money advantage has been in favor of the Democrats for the past decade. So the money advantage has more closely followed the winning candidates in recent years in the US.
20-08-2017, 07:50 PM
"Republicans aren't going to vote for democrat candidates in the midterms just because they dislike Trump."

Republicans, no. But as a Democrat I have (well, had) always prided myself on NOT voting straight party ticket and instead voting for the candidates whose view/beliefs/policies best matched mine. This last election made me understand for the first time how important voting for a party can be. I vowed to never vote for another Republican in a national election again as long as I live.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post