Where should i start watching star trek

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Hello a friend recently convinced me to watch star trek but imm not sure where to start. what would you recomend?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2017, 11:12 AM
RE: Where should i start watching star trek
(01-02-2017 10:45 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello a friend recently convinced me to watch star trek but imm not sure where to start. what would you recomend?

Start with the Next Generation.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Many of the things in the original series, from the late 1960s, are pretty "dated", by now, because the show was intended (as most sci-fi books are) as a running sociopolitical commentary. It's called ST:TOS, or just TOS for short, by fans.

I agree that ST:TNG (The Next Generation) is the best place to start. It took about a year for the show to really "hit its stride" in terms of the writing and the quality of the showcrafting, but it will be difficult to understand some of the character interactions if you skip the first season. I totally recommend just starting with the first episode, "Encounter at Farpoint", which is a two-parter, and just watching them in order. My personal favorite episode comes from Season 3, and is called "Yesterday's Enterprise", but it deals with an alternate timeline incident that may be harder to grasp if you don't know the "normal" situation in that universe.

Alternatively, you could watch what is generally agreed to be the best of the many franchise films, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Highly recommended... but it is based on an episode of TOS, where we meet the titular Khan and find out why he wants to get revenge in the first place. The movie explains it well enough, though.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-02-2017, 11:28 AM
I liked Voyager.
[Image: c0529b312a8e297255cc48e5b4e894b7.jpg]
01-02-2017, 11:32 AM
(01-02-2017 11:28 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I liked Voyager.

But as a starting place to get into the Trek universe? No.

Funny pic though!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-02-2017, 11:35 AM
A 19 year old male will keep his interest in 7 of 9 and watch the show. Picard isn't very hot.
01-02-2017, 12:04 PM
(01-02-2017 11:35 AM)KUSA Wrote:  A 19 year old male will keep his interest in 7 of 9 and watch the show. Picard isn't very hot.

But she didn't enter the show until season four.

Also there's a lot of Native American woo crap throughout the series.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-02-2017, 12:20 PM
(01-02-2017 10:45 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello a friend recently convinced me to watch star trek but imm not sure where to start. what would you recomend?

I'd start with the best of the original series; specifically City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror and Amok Time. That should give you a pretty good grounding into the best of the originals. (The Corbomite Maneuver is also pretty good, with a very young Clint Howard as Balok making an appearance.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOn9DFeINo

(For fun, you might also have a look at the worst of the originals: Spock's Brain, Catspaw).
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
01-02-2017, 12:22 PM
I thought Lieutenant Tasha Yar was hotter anyway. Granted, personality goes long way, and she was awesome.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-02-2017, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't start with it... but Deep Space 9 is fucking awesome. Next Generation is a good starting point though.