Where should i start watching star trek

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 06:31 AM
RE: Where should i start watching star trek
And no greater insight into what it means to be human can be offered than by the android, Commander Data, both by his own quest to understand and perhaps become more like the humans around him and by the way society treats his differences.

Obviously, the whole episode is necessary for full context, but I love Picard's speech, in this one.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-02-2017, 09:58 AM

My personal favorite TNG episode the Inner Light.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
04-02-2017, 01:45 PM
(04-02-2017 09:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Same here. I was pretty floored after seeing it. The idea that you could live an entire lifetime in just a few seconds real time was pretty mind blowing to me.
04-02-2017, 01:47 PM
This reminds me of something that I used to ponder. Why the hell are all Starfleet admirals such total dicks?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
04-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Time seems not to have any effect on this entity. Maybe he is a necessary being, the creator of the universe, who, after being bored for an eternity, decided to *poof* create the universe. He even got cruci...transformed into a Borg, and then came back (after three days?)...

All hail Stewart! Bowing

[Image: patrick-stewart.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
04-02-2017, 09:42 PM
I love that Stephen Colbert asks him, "Are you a time traveler? Because this is you 24 years ago and this is you today... DO YOU BATHE IN THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT?!"

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/xnk3xl/the...ck-stewart

It's at the 4 minute mark, exactly.

(Can't find it on YouTube due to Comedy Central's copyright BS, so I had to just link to the CC website clip.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-02-2017, 07:55 AM
(04-02-2017 06:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And no greater insight into what it means to be human can be offered than by the android, Commander Data, both by his own quest to understand and perhaps become more like the humans around him and by the way society treats his differences.

Obviously, the whole episode is necessary for full context, but I love Picard's speech, in this one.

I both love and hate the episodes where the Federation questions Data's citizenship. It allows Stewart and Spiner to give execellent perforamces, but it also makes the Federation look like a bunch of, well, racists that break their own directives, making people like Picard and Riker look the only sensible people in entire Star Fleet (it's way worse in the one where Data creates a daughter to himself).

I'm rewatching entire TNG now so i'm not sure if he does, but if there was one thing Q was ever going to complain about when it comes to humanity, it's the off and on idiots that run Star Fleet Command.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
05-02-2017, 08:04 AM
(05-02-2017 07:55 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I both love and hate the episodes where the Federation questions Data's citizenship. It allows Stewart and Spiner to give execellent perforamces, but it also makes the Federation look like a bunch of, well, racists that break their own directives, making people like Picard and Riker look the only sensible people in entire Star Fleet (it's way worse in the one where Data creates a daughter to himself).

I'm rewatching entire TNG now so i'm not sure if he does, but if there was one thing Q was ever going to complain about when it comes to humanity, it's the off and on idiots that run Star Fleet Command.

Totally agree with you, about this. I also like the earlier comment, "Why are all Starfleet Admirals such assholes?" (or something like that).

However, since the point of sci-fi is to hold up a mirror to our current society, it is necessary to make it so that the problems common today, which you would think to have been extinguished by progress In The Future, are still ready to rear their ugly heads... we too often fall into the same trap, today, seeing things like fascism as relics of a past that could never occur today "because progress".

That's what makes Picard's line so poignant, to me, in The Drumhead...

"Maybe. But she, or someone like her, will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mister Worf-- that is the price we have to continually pay."

[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-02-2017, 06:38 PM
(04-02-2017 09:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

One of the best episodes they ever made.
Actually brought me to tears thinking about everything he gained and lost within that short span of time.
Then he found that flute like musical instrument and I lost it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results