Where to begin ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
RE: Where to begin ?
Thanks Stark_Raving , I'll try to keep my chin up :-p

Also I did go to that i-tunes link
Many courses but when I try to open one it gives me an option to download iTunes.
Thing is , iTunes is already installed on my computer. What am I doing wrong ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
(02-11-2010 12:27 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Thanks Stark_Raving , I'll try to keep my chin up :-p

Also I did go to that i-tunes link
Many courses but when I try to open one it gives me an option to download iTunes.
Thing is , iTunes is already installed on my computer. What am I doing wrong ?
Try using your iTunes player to browse iTunes U. Go to the store first - there's a link somewhere on the homepage.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Figured it out ... finally.
Odd piece of software , part browser part player.
Anyway got some lectures on Quantum Physics.Feel like a kid in a candy store Big Grin
02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I managed to get myself educated just by reading all of my school books. Though for those who lose religion after school, any fact book in a subject you like is recommended.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
03-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Are there any free e-books ? A digital version of various textbooks ?
Any journals you recommend ?
04-11-2010, 04:26 AM
(02-11-2010 12:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-11-2010 12:13 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I don't feel foolish because of religion.I feel foolish because i wasted 2 years of my life on conspiracy theories.I am also ashamed I've read very few books.I willfully became an idiot Sad

And that is precisely what I am referring to. First, the two "wasted years" are not wasted. You now know alot about those ideas, and can speak with authority when refuting them since you know them intimately. Sure, it's not ideal, but it doesn't make you a fool. Second, the only thing I can think of that should make you feel ashamed is if you choose NOT to educate yourself now that you have found what you want to learn about. You should feel proud that you are taking it upon yourself to correct something that you feel is a shortcoming.

Again I say...good on ya!

What scares me is that now I have all the responsibility.No gods to please or displease . I realize I am physically capable of the worst things ( rape , murder , theft,torture) or the best things (donate blood, feed the poor, help the poor). It feels like the responsibility of a god , with one follower : himself , is now on my shoulder.
It's scary to be honest.That's why I want to get educated.To stop the demon of ignorance and stupidity.And before you ask , I was moral before but I don't know if I was because I wanted a karma/god reward or because I was a decent human being.

Geek Joke: "[root@myself ~]kill stupidity ; start learn()"
04-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I definitely agree that sometimes carrying the responsibility of being a good person is scary. Terrifying in fact. I also think that's good. It reminds us how important a responsibility it is. It's easy to do the right thing when the threat of hell is looming over you. But to do the right thing when the only consequence you would face by not is breaking self imposed morals is to be a truly good person. A good person because you are, not because you have to be.

From the faith that you release, find an atheists peace.

Just visiting.

-SR
04-11-2010, 09:38 AM
To be honest , I had few friends as a theist.I was very egocentric and wanted to start a secret society at age 16 - don't ask.
No I'm socializing and speaking my mind.That's a big release.
And when I look at the universe I find peace.A lot of atheists found peace in cosmology.
No matter how much religious fanatics scream ... reality doesn't care.
I take peace knowing that I got to live.I want to be able to die knowing ,rather than believing, I was a good person.

Nice rime Smile
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Christianity ~ The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

(02-11-2010 05:26 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  If I realize I've been a fool as a theist and want to educate myself where do I begin ?
Any websites ? Free e-books , scientific journals ?
Any opinions ?
I think you first have to educate yourself as to why Theism no longer makes sense to you. If you were formerly a Christian, I'd recommend this Website.

The Professor from that link also has You Tube lectures.
Scribes Who Altered Scripture DR..BART D. EHRMAN PART 1 OF 10
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2010, 01:02 AM
(04-11-2010 07:43 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It's easy to do the right thing when the threat of hell is looming over you.

This is an interesting comment considering all the wrongs that religious people have committed over the centuries. I personally think that it is easier to do the right things when you set a moral code for yourself and stick to it. This way you don't blindly follow some moron because he claims to speak for god.