Where to begin ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Where to begin ?
If I realize I've been a fool as a theist and want to educate myself where do I begin ?
Any websites ? Free e-books , scientific journals ?
Any opinions ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2010, 06:50 AM
RE: Where to begin ?
Umm, depends alot on the subject you want to educate yourself about? What's your interest?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-11-2010, 07:27 AM

You can read all the books you want, but talking to people helps. I think you made a good decision by asking the forum. So many people close themselves out to the idea of questioning their beliefs. I'm glad you are honest enough with yourself to want answers.
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm already an atheist.
Took me a few months but a few documentaries later I realized there was no reason to beleieve in the supernatural anymore.
My issue is , I have forsaken education as a theist.
Now I want to learn. Biology , cosmology , history etc. - general education I was denying.
I've read very few books , and I am ashamed , but I want to change that ... I want to READ !!!!
02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
An excellent resource is iTunesU, offered through iTunes. There's lots of free college level courses, lectures, and videos. Stuff like Intro classes to Biology, Psychology, etc. from colleges like Yale and Harvard. FOR FREE!

http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
(02-11-2010 09:05 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  An excellent resource is iTunesU, offered through iTunes. There's lots of free college level courses, lectures, and videos. Stuff like Intro classes to Biology, Psychology, etc. from colleges like Yale and Harvard. FOR FREE!

OH GOD

BEING A BOT IS CONTAGIOUS

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
(02-11-2010 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(02-11-2010 09:05 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  An excellent resource is iTunesU, offered through iTunes. There's lots of free college level courses, lectures, and videos. Stuff like Intro classes to Biology, Psychology, etc. from colleges like Yale and Harvard. FOR FREE!

OH GOD

Ha, no NO! That was actually me - but you're right, that post is suspiciously bot-like. Sorry. It was early in the morning and I was still working on my coffee.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
That's it! I'm deleting TheSixthGlass!! LOL

There's some good suggestions in the "Recommend some literature" thread in the last section of the forum.
I'm reading Dawkins "The Greatest Show on Earth" right now. A few were reading it in that thread, so I decided to pick it up. GREAT book!
DON'T feel like a fool, and DON'T feel ashamed!!! Seeing the foolishness of religion, especially after a religous upbringing, shows that you are quite the opposite. It takes intelligence to think for yourself, and that's precicely what you've done. Good on ya!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
(02-11-2010 12:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  That's it! I'm deleting TheSixthGlass!! LOL

There's some good suggestions in the "Recommend some literature" thread in the last section of the forum.
I'm reading Dawkins "The Greatest Show on Earth" right now. A few were reading it in that thread, so I decided to pick it up. GREAT book!
DON'T feel like a fool, and DON'T feel ashamed!!! Seeing the foolishness of religion, especially after a religous upbringing, shows that you are quite the opposite. It takes intelligence to think for yourself, and that's precicely what you've done. Good on ya!

I don't feel foolish because of religion.I feel foolish because i wasted 2 years of my life on conspiracy theories.I am also ashamed I've read very few books.I willfully became an idiot Sad
(02-11-2010 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

OH GOD

You're a good admin dude. Relax.
Still wouldn't it be odd to have a bot with such a high status ?
Maybe if it was just one post Confused
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
(02-11-2010 12:13 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I don't feel foolish because of religion.I feel foolish because i wasted 2 years of my life on conspiracy theories.I am also ashamed I've read very few books.I willfully became an idiot Sad

And that is precisely what I am referring to. First, the two "wasted years" are not wasted. You now know alot about those ideas, and can speak with authority when refuting them since you know them intimately. Sure, it's not ideal, but it doesn't make you a fool. Second, the only thing I can think of that should make you feel ashamed is if you choose NOT to educate yourself now that you have found what you want to learn about. You should feel proud that you are taking it upon yourself to correct something that you feel is a shortcoming.

Again I say...good on ya!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]