Where to find the beauty in a world without a god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 02:19 AM
RE: Where to find the beauty in a world without a god
(15-03-2017 02:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:10 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I can absolutely respect that, and I think we are in general agreement here now, thank you for your clarification. I do appreciate it and the time you took to write it.

I'm not exactly nice person but leaving post specifically addressed to me about something that could be the case would be both foolish and discourteous.

Frankly dude, I couldn't give a fuck if you're nice to me. Only that you're honest and make well reasoned arguments and are willing to engage with at least some nod towards mutual respect (You don't have to do that last part, however it will greatly dictate how I respond to you). I don't consider myself an overly nice person either, I didn't think this particular discussion was deserving of an extreme level of escalation, do you?

Wink

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2017, 02:20 AM
(15-03-2017 02:19 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not exactly nice person but leaving post specifically addressed to me about something that could be the case would be both foolish and discourteous.

Frankly dude, I couldn't give a fuck if you're nice to me. Only that you're honest and make well reasoned arguments and are willing to engage with at least some nod towards mutual respect (You don't have to do that last part, however it will greatly dictate how I respond to you). I don't consider myself an overly nice person either, I didn't think this particular discussion was deserving of an extreme level of escalation, do you?

Wink

Also, so far I kinda like you. So i'm not out to pick a fight needlessly.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
15-03-2017, 02:21 AM
The funny thing about being "an atheist" is that it's a description, not a choice. Saying you're an atheist doesn't necessarily correspond with you actually being one.

In this way it's very different from say Christianity, because I can just say I'm a Christian regardless of what I believe. I can even be an atheist. But it's a group I choose to join. And barring other Christians calling me "not a real Christian", which is meaningless since there is no authority on who is and isn't allowed to be one, I'm as much a Christian as anyone else.

Religions are clubs. Being a theist isn't being in a club; that too is just a description.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
15-03-2017, 02:23 AM
(15-03-2017 02:19 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not exactly nice person but leaving post specifically addressed to me about something that could be the case would be both foolish and discourteous.

Wink

If you really weren't giving a fuck then you wouldn't care about indoctrinated sheep part. Also you may not give a damn but I try to be nice to people with whom I speak. Well, except when I'm not.

Lastly there was no escalation. And yes I noticed the smile at the end of the post.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-03-2017, 02:27 AM
(15-03-2017 02:21 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The funny thing about being "an atheist" is that it's a description, not a choice. Saying you're an atheist doesn't necessarily correspond with you actually being one.

In this way it's very different from say Christianity, because I can just say I'm a Christian regardless of what I believe. I can even be an atheist. But it's a group I choose to join. And barring other Christians calling me "not a real Christian", which is meaningless since there is no authority on who is and isn't allowed to be one, I'm as much a Christian as anyone else.

Religions are clubs. Being a theist isn't being in a club; that too is just a description.

Majority of people in Poland do not choose to join local brand of christianity as they're christened without their knowledge and consent. I don't consider this strange ceremony to be valid but in statistic I'm counted as a catholic.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-03-2017, 02:27 AM
(15-03-2017 02:21 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The funny thing about being "an atheist" is that it's a description, not a choice. Saying you're an atheist doesn't necessarily correspond with you actually being one.

The thing I think everyone seems to be missing from my communication is I fully agree with you.

Perhaps given my experiences in life I have a stronger desire for friends and it comes out expressed in the way I speak at times. I'm still not sure if I'm really doing my thoughts justice here.

Big Grin
15-03-2017, 02:29 AM
(15-03-2017 02:23 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:19 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Frankly dude, I couldn't give a fuck if you're nice to me. Only that you're honest and make well reasoned arguments and are willing to engage with at least some nod towards mutual respect (You don't have to do that last part, however it will greatly dictate how I respond to you). I don't consider myself an overly nice person either, I didn't think this particular discussion was deserving of an extreme level of escalation, do you?

Wink

If you really weren't giving a fuck then you wouldn't care about indoctrinated sheep part. Also you may not give a damn but I try to be nice to people with whom I speak. Well, except when I'm not.

Lastly there was no escalation. And yes I noticed the smile at the end of the post.

I'll admit I definitely care about the idea that some people might mistake me for having anything in common with a religion. Or an insinuation that I ever was a part of one (which has happened in the past). That shit frankly annoy's me. I won't lie.

Big Grin
15-03-2017, 02:31 AM
[Image: tumblr_m0wgbpmXoA1r8azzho1_500.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-03-2017, 02:31 AM
(15-03-2017 02:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_m0wgbpmXoA1r8azzho1_500.gif]

Kinky.... I'm game.... Wanna join Banjo?

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-03-2017, 02:32 AM
(15-03-2017 02:31 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 02:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_m0wgbpmXoA1r8azzho1_500.gif]

Kinky.... I'm game.... Wanna join Banjo?

Always.

Bring Jenny and Astreja. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post