Where to start with Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: Where to start with Old Testament
TGAC nailed it. But wait for a cool night because it will burn for a while.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Skip the begats. Everything else can be used as ammunition against theists. For example; why when building temples did god not explain to put a lightning rod so as to avoid fires???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-09-2015, 07:53 PM
(28-09-2015 05:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Skip the begats. Everything else can be used as ammunition against theists. For example; why when building temples did god not explain to put a lightning rod so as to avoid fires???

That's how "He" is, just an "immortal" prankster. Or maybe the people who wrote all that crap had no idea about lightning's properties. I know where Ima put my money.
28-09-2015, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015 08:35 PM by Shadow Fox.)
(28-09-2015 05:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  TGAC nailed it. But wait for a cool night because it will burn for a while.

No no, I am not going to burn it. It belonged to someone who was a part of my life since the beginning. Zephaniah,

besides, It will provide for a good few laughs. I already know more then enough about the NT anyway, so I don't need to really read that part.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
28-09-2015, 11:35 PM
(28-09-2015 08:31 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 05:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  TGAC nailed it. But wait for a cool night because it will burn for a while.

No no, I am not going to burn it. It belonged to someone who was a part of my life since the beginning. Zephaniah,

besides, It will provide for a good few laughs. I already know more then enough about the NT anyway, so I don't need to really read that part.

I would suggest getting a good Bible commentary to go along with it. It helps to make sense of some of the passages.
29-09-2015, 04:39 AM
(28-09-2015 11:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would suggest getting a good Bible commentary to go along with it. It helps to make sense of some of the passages.

My dear and lovely Jenny. I must disagree. Most bible commentaries are apologistic in nature. Just read the book.

One must have a commentary to read War and peace? I didn't. And it is still the greatest book I ever read. (The brothers karamazov second)

I did not have a commentary for the bible. And it is still the worst book I ever read.

Just read the damned book.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
29-09-2015, 05:49 AM
(28-09-2015 03:53 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  The cool thing is that it has the old testament as part of it. So I am wondering, "genesis" aside. Where should I start with this? I know numbers, Deuteronomy and Leviticus is pretty nasty when it comes to all the bat shit insane and immoral crap which is basically what I am looking for to get a few good laughs and to point out to some people out there of what is in the book itself.

Whats a good one to read for a few wtf moments?

WTF moments are everywhere. Hardly a chapter doesn't have at least one. I'm currently in the process of reading it start to finish and the contradictions and different writing styles really jump out at you doing that. I'd start "in the beginning" and just read through.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-09-2015, 05:51 AM
(28-09-2015 04:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  In the beginning...
For the sake of accuracy it should read -

Once upon a time.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-09-2015, 06:06 AM
And don't forget Buddy Christ's eBook with his take on it. I read that and had many an entertaining hour.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
29-09-2015, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2015 09:09 AM by jennybee.)
(29-09-2015 04:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would suggest getting a good Bible commentary to go along with it. It helps to make sense of some of the passages.

My dear and lovely Jenny. I must disagree. Most bible commentaries are apologistic in nature. Just read the book.

One must have a commentary to read War and peace? I didn't. And it is still the greatest book I ever read. (The brothers karamazov second)

I did not have a commentary for the bible. And it is still the worst book I ever read.

Just read the damned book.

There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have. The Bible has many cultural, historical, and literary references--which if you're not familiar with the biblical time period--will make no sense without a little extra background information. For instance, who are the four beasts in Daniel? Why did the early biblical writers say light was created before the sun in Genesis? What historical event was Ezekiel referring to with the whole lie on your side for 390/40 days thing? Where did the laws in Leviticus come from? Why are there animal hybrids in the Bible and what is their significance? What were these writers trying to convey? Why did they need to invent a god of war? Why was there obsession with certain numbers and what is their significance to the passage? etc. etc.

You can certainly just read the Bible, but I found it to be much more interesting and easier to understand having some extra background info. I agree with Banjo and am an advocate of reading the entire Bible...but I like to add a commentary as a companion piece.

Additionally, if you are into debating theists, one thing they love to pull out is the prophecy card. They like to say that certain passages such as Ezekiel 390/40 are referring to 1948 Israel--which if you learn a bit of biblical history, you can explain to them what Ezekiel is really referring to--and why that passage has absolutely nothing to do with 1948 Israel. There are other "future" prophecies from various passages that theists like to use and are all easily debunked if you know your biblical history.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post