Where to start with Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Where to start with Old Testament
(28-09-2015 04:57 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 03:53 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Read plenty of stuff in the bible like almost all of us have, but never actual whole books in it.

An old friend of the family passed a few weeks back and her family was having an estate sale. I picked up a few books and some cookie cutters and a wicker basket. Almost thought about picking up these really nice cabinets but I wouldn't had been able to get them home and no real place to put them.

I don't know what these books are
Midnight Bayou
Three roads to Valhalla
Harbin's Ridge

But they seemed like they might be interesting and they look like they are really old. The kind of book with no cover and its just a blank hardbound with a title and no page giving the description of its contents.

The other was an old bible, she was sorta religious but never talked about it with neighbors, at least with me anyway.

The cool thing is that it has the old testament as part of it. So I am wondering, "genesis" aside. Where should I start with this? I know numbers, Deuteronomy and Leviticus is pretty nasty when it comes to all the bat shit insane and immoral crap which is basically what I am looking for to get a few good laughs and to point out to some people out there of what is in the book itself.

Whats a good one to read for a few wtf moments?

For wtf moments, read Judges. You get Samson and also genocidal war based off of plagiarism of the Sodom rape crowd story.

Especially that part where King Eglon gets stabbed in the belly and his fat engulfs the stabbers hand or where some guy gets his head pinned to the ground with a tent peg

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2015, 04:24 PM
(29-09-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have.

Can you recommend one of those particularly?

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
29-09-2015, 06:08 PM
(28-09-2015 05:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Skip the begats. Everything else can be used as ammunition against theists. For example; why when building temples did god not explain to put a lightning rod so as to avoid fires???
Because it is metaphorical for building up ones spirit in their body.
29-09-2015, 06:12 PM
(29-09-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 04:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  My dear and lovely Jenny. I must disagree. Most bible commentaries are apologistic in nature. Just read the book.

One must have a commentary to read War and peace? I didn't. And it is still the greatest book I ever read. (The brothers karamazov second)

I did not have a commentary for the bible. And it is still the worst book I ever read.

Just read the damned book.

There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have. The Bible has many cultural, historical, and literary references--which if you're not familiar with the biblical time period--will make no sense without a little extra background information. For instance, who are the four beasts in Daniel? Why did the early biblical writers say light was created before the sun in Genesis? What historical event was Ezekiel referring to with the whole lie on your side for 390/40 days thing? Where did the laws in Leviticus come from? Why are there animal hybrids in the Bible and what is their significance? What were these writers trying to convey? Why did they need to invent a god of war? Why was there obsession with certain numbers and what is their significance to the passage? etc. etc.

You can certainly just read the Bible, but I found it to be much more interesting and easier to understand having some extra background info. I agree with Banjo and am an advocate of reading the entire Bible...but I like to add a commentary as a companion piece.

Additionally, if you are into debating theists, one thing they love to pull out is the prophecy card. They like to say that certain passages such as Ezekiel 390/40 are referring to 1948 Israel--which if you learn a bit of biblical history, you can explain to them what Ezekiel is really referring to--and why that passage has absolutely nothing to do with 1948 Israel. There are other "future" prophecies from various passages that theists like to use and are all easily debunked if you know your biblical history.
Unfortunately; most commentary and theists have little understanding of large parts of the bible. Most of it refers to past and future events.
29-09-2015, 06:15 PM
(29-09-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have. The Bible has many cultural, historical, and literary references--which if you're not familiar with the biblical time period--will make no sense without a little extra background information. For instance, who are the four beasts in Daniel? Why did the early biblical writers say light was created before the sun in Genesis? What historical event was Ezekiel referring to with the whole lie on your side for 390/40 days thing? Where did the laws in Leviticus come from? Why are there animal hybrids in the Bible and what is their significance? What were these writers trying to convey? Why did they need to invent a god of war? Why was there obsession with certain numbers and what is their significance to the passage? etc. etc.

You can certainly just read the Bible, but I found it to be much more interesting and easier to understand having some extra background info. I agree with Banjo and am an advocate of reading the entire Bible...but I like to add a commentary as a companion piece.

Additionally, if you are into debating theists, one thing they love to pull out is the prophecy card. They like to say that certain passages such as Ezekiel 390/40 are referring to 1948 Israel--which if you learn a bit of biblical history, you can explain to them what Ezekiel is really referring to--and why that passage has absolutely nothing to do with 1948 Israel. There are other "future" prophecies from various passages that theists like to use and are all easily debunked if you know your biblical history.
Unfortunately; most commentary and theists have little understanding of large parts of the bible. Most of it refers to past and future events.

Commentaries that are written by scholars have accurate information. I would agree with you that apologetic commentaries are not helpful and live in woo territory.
29-09-2015, 06:22 PM
(29-09-2015 04:24 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have.

Can you recommend one of those particularly?

Sure. The one that I like for basic info is The IVP Bible Background Commentary for OT by Walton, Matthews, and Chavalas. They are christian--but they are scholars. There is no woo involved. In other words, they call out faulty biblical "science." They also explain where biblical concepts came from and don't go the "God did it" route. If you want an in depth reading of each of the sections of the Bible--I like the Cambridge Bible Commentaries on the OT. You can pick whichever section you would like to read about for an in-depth commentary.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-09-2015, 06:58 PM
(28-09-2015 05:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Skip the begats. Everything else can be used as ammunition against theists. For example; why when building temples did god not explain to put a lightning rod so as to avoid fires???

Talk to Alla about this. God does mean as shit things to humans just to teach them a lesson. He sends plagues, drowns millions of people and purposely misinform his creations about.....ohhhh.. apple trees in the woods and all kinds of other stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-09-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2015 08:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-09-2015 06:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
Because it is metaphorical for building up ones spirit in their body.

The people who wrote it didn't think that. At what point did it *become* metaphorical ? (Be exact).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-09-2015, 07:56 PM
(29-09-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-09-2015 04:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  My dear and lovely Jenny. I must disagree. Most bible commentaries are apologistic in nature. Just read the book.

One must have a commentary to read War and peace? I didn't. And it is still the greatest book I ever read. (The brothers karamazov second)

I did not have a commentary for the bible. And it is still the worst book I ever read.

Just read the damned book.

There are apologetic Bible commentaries, but there are also Bible commentaries written by scholars with zero woo--those are the ones I have. The Bible has many cultural, historical, and literary references--which if you're not familiar with the biblical time period--will make no sense without a little extra background information. For instance, who are the four beasts in Daniel? Why did the early biblical writers say light was created before the sun in Genesis? What historical event was Ezekiel referring to with the whole lie on your side for 390/40 days thing? Where did the laws in Leviticus come from? Why are there animal hybrids in the Bible and what is their significance? What were these writers trying to convey? Why did they need to invent a god of war? Why was there obsession with certain numbers and what is their significance to the passage? etc. etc.

This.....liking it isn't enough.

Bowing

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Start with Malachi and work backwards.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus