Where to start with learning the theory of evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-08-2015, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 09:44 AM by IntrovertedPostosuchus.)
Where to start with learning the theory of evolution?
So I'm still a fairly new atheist, but I'm very interested in learning about evolution properly. It's a complex subject and I honestly don't know where to begin with it.
I've begun familarizing myself with some aspects but I am still in the dark about many related concepts.

Are there any websites, books, or YouTube channels you would recommend I check out?

I would appreciate any help, cause I like to know what I'm talking about.

Edit: These all look great, thank you!

[Image: spore_creature___placerias_png_by_tote_m...7onlgm.png]" Placerias tastes amazing. " --- Me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2015, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 11:23 PM by Peebothuhul.)
RE: Where to start with learning the theory of evolution?
Try and find "GoodWithOutGod" posts on the subject. Three's a whole recourse thread some where on the forums. Also "MetazoaZek" has good posts.

Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
08-08-2015, 11:20 PM
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01

Here is one.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-08-2015, 11:21 PM
(08-08-2015 11:19 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Try and find "GoodWithOutGods" posts on the subject. Three's a whole recourse thread some where on the forums.

Hello! Big Grin

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...al-Fossils

I can toot my own horn now. Big Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-08-2015, 11:23 PM
I was editing your name in as you posted. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
08-08-2015, 11:26 PM
(08-08-2015 11:23 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I was editing your name in as you posted. Blush

It is fine. I understand why GwG was first to come to mind, I too would have mentioned him first.

09-08-2015, 12:11 AM

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
09-08-2015, 12:15 AM
I definitely recommend you start with actual books, as they give you better opportunity to hold it in your hands, highlight, go back, etc. Use the computer to look up (instantly) concepts for which you want more clarification than the book might provide.

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins is a good place to start, as is his earlier work, The Blind Watchmaker.

I have not read it, but I am told that Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin is a particularly enjoyable read on the subject.

And finally, a textbook I picked up in a library once, for its lovely cover art, and then enjoyed the prose so much I didn't even mind reading things I already knew about from my own first college courses on evolution: The Tangled Bank: An Introduction to Evolution by Carl Zimmer, who also wrote the excellent Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea, which should be owned by all fans of science writing.

I completely agree with Zeke that Berkeley's website is (and has been for nearly 20 years) about the best there is, in terms of online databases for biology/evolution.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-08-2015, 01:22 AM
(08-08-2015 11:08 PM)IntrovertedPostosuchus Wrote:  So I'm still a fairly new atheist, but I'm very interested in learning about evolution properly. It's a complex subject and I honestly don't know where to begin with it.
I've begun familarizing myself with some aspects but I am still in the dark about many related concepts.

Are there any websites, books, or YouTube channels you would recommend I check out?

I would appreciate any help, cause I like to know what I'm talking about.

G'day, welcome to the club.

Everybody else have already given great assets to use (I heartily recommend Dawkins' Greatest Show on Earth), here's my contribution:

Potholer54 has a great series called Our Origins Made Easy, which discusses a small range of topics from the Big Bang to evolution and cuts them down for easy consumption; there are three videos you'll primarily have interest in; those on Natural Selection, The Theory, and Human Evolution. I've linked the first two below. You might also want to check out Crash Course's episodes on natural selection and evolution.

(please forgive the poor audio and video; these were made waaay back when, but are still relevant)

I'll add that you can always turn to the community here if you have questions; not only do we have one or two individuals who are educated in the field, but most here are quite familiar with it.
Since others have already, I'll give my own horn a small toot and say I am myself not too shabby when it comes to the topic of evolution.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
09-08-2015, 01:32 AM
I would reccomend Why Evolution Is True by Jerry Coyne.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post