Where to start?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 06:56 PM
RE: Where to start?
(25-06-2015 06:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 05:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction by Bart Ehrman.

The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos.

50 Reasons People Give For Believing in God and 50 Simple Questions for every Christian: Guy Harrison

How Jesus Became God: Bart Ehrman

The Origin of Satan: Elaine Pagels

The Improbability Principle: David Hand

The Soul Fallacy: Julien Musolino

God's Problem: Bart Ehrman

Understanding Genesis: Nahum Sarna

Introduction to the Bible: Christine Hayes

Christianity is Not Great: John Loftus

Undeniable: Bill Nye

Primal Myths: Barbara Sproul

The Birth of Satan: T.J. Wray

Jesus: Neither God Nor Man-Earl Doherty

God is Not Great: Christopher Hitchens

Manual for Creating Atheists: Peter Boghossian

The Bible Unearthed: Israel Finkelstein

Skeptics Annotated and Drunk With blood--Steve Wells

The Believing Brain: Michael Shermer

there was no Jesus, There is no God: Rapahel Lataster

Not The Impossible Faith: Richard Carrier

Nailed: David Fitzgerald

The god Delusion: Dawkins

that's a start for you--I have more Big Grin

Impressive library you have Smile

Thanks you too! Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2015, 07:16 PM
(25-06-2015 06:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 06:25 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid735241

Xtian:

Boadt, L. (1984) Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction. New York. Paulist Press. (outstanding book, it takes great pains to be forensically accurate, to a fault, and as such, becomes a great weapon to discredit the OT)

Lieu, Samuel N. C., and Montserrat, Dominic, Constantine: History, Historiography, and Legend. London: Routledge, 2002. Print.

O'Collins, Gerald, Christology: A Biblical, Historical, and Systematic Study of Jesus. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. Print.

Mueller, J.J., Theological Foundations: Concepts and Methods for Understanding the Christian Faith. Winona: Anselm Academic, Christian Brothers Publications, 2011. Print.

Albl, Martin C. Reason, Faith, and Tradition: Explorations in Catholic Theology. Winona: Anselm Academic, Christian Brothers Publications, 2009. Print.

Stewart, Cynthia., The Catholic church: a brief popular history. Winona, Mn: Anselm Academic, Christian Brothers Publications, 2008. Print.

The Catholic Study Bible: The New American Bible 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University press, Inc., 2011. Print.

Moule, C. F. D., The birth of the New Testament. New York: Harper & Row, 1962. Print.

Mattison, Mark. “The Meaning of the Atonement.” Mark Mattison. 1987. Web. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/openhse/atonement.html

Anselm, Evans, G. R., The Major Works. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc, 1998. Print.

Visser, Sandra and Williams, Thomas, Anselm. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc, 2009. Print.

Murray, John, The Atonement. Evansville: Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, 1976. Print.

Dawson, Gerrit S. Jesus Ascended: The Meaning of Christ’s Continuing Incarnation. New Jersey: P&R publishing, 2004. Print.

Atheist:

Ehrman, Bart. Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the bible and why. New York, Harper Collins. 2005. Print.

Carrier, Richard, On the historicity of jesus: why we might have reason for doubt. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Phoenix press, 2014. Print.

Wells, S. (2013) The skeptics annotated Bible. New York. SAB Books, LLC.

Hitchens, Christopher. God is not great: How religion poisons everything. New York, Hatchette Book Group inc. 2009. Print.

Hitchens, Christopher. Hitch 22: A memoir. New York, Hatchette Book Group inc. 2010. Print.

Hitchens, Christopher. The portable atheist: essential readings for the nonbeliever. Philadelphia, PA., Da Capo Press. 2007. Print.

Boghossian, Peter. A manual for creating atheists. Durham, NC. Pitchstone Publishing. 2013. Print.

Barker, Dan. Godless: how an evangelical preacher became one of america's leading atheists. Berkeley, CA. Bang Printing. 2008. Print.

Crossman, J. D. The power of parable: How fiction by jesus became fiction about jesus. New York. Harper Collins Publishers. 2012. Print.

Mills, David. Atheist Universe: The thinking person's answer to christian fundamentalism, makes the case against intelligent design. Berkeley, CA. Bang Printing. 2006. Print.

Pessin, Andrew. The god question: What famous thinkers from plato to dawkins have said about the divine. Oxford, England. Oneworld Publications. 2009. Print.

Bierlein, J.F. Parallel Myths: A fascinating look at the common threads woven through the world's greatest myths-and the central role they have played through time. New York. Ballantine Publishing Group. 1994. Print.

Helms, Randel. Gospel fictions. New York. Prometheus Books. 1988. Print.

Murdock, D. M. Did Moses exist? The myth of the Israelite lawgiver. Seattle. Stellar House Publishing. 2014. Print.

Price, Robert M. Deconstructing Jesus. New York. Prometheus Books. 2000. Print.

Neutral (sociologist)
Zuckerman, Phil. Society without god. New York. New York University press. 2008. Print.

Enjoy!

I haven't read these two--putting them on my summer reading list!:

Bierlein, J.F. Parallel Myths: A fascinating look at the common threads woven through the world's greatest myths-and the central role they have played through time. New York. Ballantine Publishing Group. 1994. Print.

Yeah those two were pretty cheap on amazon, a little older but had some interesting stuff. I have several books I got in recently that are over 2 inches thick, heavy reading and tons of citations to dig through...just dont have the time these days the way I wish i did. Work, gym, family and college sucks all the reading time away from me Weeping

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
25-06-2015, 07:24 PM
(25-06-2015 07:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 06:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I haven't read these two--putting them on my summer reading list!:

Yeah those two were pretty cheap on amazon, a little older but had some interesting stuff. I have several books I got in recently that are over 2 inches thick, heavy reading and tons of citations to dig through...just dont have the time these days the way I wish i did. Work, gym, family and college sucks all the reading time away from me Weeping

Yeah, some books are dryer than others--but a definite must read (Avalos and Finkelstein fall into this category). I just recently bought another academic work on Genesis and a book on ancient Hindu cosmology.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
25-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Where to start?
Everything I have read has already been mentioned....except the bible. Lol best book to read when starting out. Just take your God glasses off.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
25-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Thank you, all.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
26-06-2015, 07:22 AM
I am surprised no one has mentioned A history of God by Karen Armstrong.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Besides those already mentioned, "The God Argument" by A.C. Grayling is my recommendation. It's a well written defense of humanism and an honest assessment of belief. If you're looking for something to share with an open minded believer, this title ranks highly on my list.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
26-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett

Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith by J. Anderson Thomson and Clare Aukofer

Atheism: A Very Short Introduction by Julian Baggini

The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris

God: The Failed Hypothesis: How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist by Victor Stenger

50 Great Myths About Atheism by Russell Blackford and Udo Schuklenk

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post