Poll: Which Internet Browser Do You Use?
Internet Explorer
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Safari
Opera
Android
Other (please specify)
[Show Results]

Which Internet Browser Do You (Mostly) Use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 12:01 PM by craniumonempty.)
RE: Which Internet Browser Do You (Mostly) Use?
(22-03-2012 07:55 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 04:42 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  How fucking dare you say browsers are IE copies... how fucking dare. IE may have been one of the first, but some of the functionality they have they copied off of other browsers (they were almost last to get tabbed browsing).

Let's be real. The back button, forward button, FEVFTH tool bar, refresh, stop, home, etc. All that was copied from IE. The entire layout of every browser available is almost an exact copy of IE. The function may be different but appearance wise they all ripped em off.

Like was said, IE was not first. Mosaic came first (it wasn't the first, but was known for popularizing the web) and Netscape was actually out before IE. IE was based on Mosaic. Actually if you look at the history, Microsoft came out with Spyglass Mosaic first and was sued for trademark infringement. IE debuted in august 95. Netscape came out Dec 94. Mosaic in 93. In late 94, Microsoft had Spyglass, but I'm not sure they ever got it out the door due to disputes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#History

Some of the early pioneer web browsers are Erwise (April 92) and ViolaWWW (March 92). Oh, look, they have back buttons! Go figure.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I remember a few years ago I tried out Seamonkey. Does that even still exist?
I loved that one, no clue why I stopped using it.
It was very very stable, it would NEVER crash, worst thing would be slightly slowing down.
Once I tried how much it can take. Turned my boxes of and opened tab after tab with all kinds of streaming sites and myspace (know those horror pages of myspace) and stuff like that. When I opened the seventh tab and another hardcore-myspace it started slowing down a bit, but it still ran!
Last year I tried to find a recent version but couldn't find one.
btw seamonkey was a mozilla project afaik

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I thought of something I hate about IE. Although I'm not sure that it's exclusive to IE. When I get a 'Send Error Report'. WTF is that shit? And why do you shut my browser down when it happens?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
22-03-2012, 03:08 PM
(22-03-2012 03:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I thought of something I hate about IE. Although I'm not sure that it's exclusive to IE. When I get a 'Send Error Report'. WTF is that shit? And why do you shut my browser down when it happens?
oh oh.... windows does that when it thinks it has to update your system. So I turned the updates off ...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2012, 04:48 PM
(22-03-2012 03:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I thought of something I hate about IE. Although I'm not sure that it's exclusive to IE. When I get a 'Send Error Report'. WTF is that shit? And why do you shut my browser down when it happens?

That's the browser crashing or becoming unresponsive, so it has to close and restart.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
22-03-2012, 06:02 PM
They still make seamonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Actually, if you use Opera, you may not notice at first, but it's kind of a full suite as well. I haven't used all of the features, but I was impressed with it.

Oh that's another thing about IE I don't like. Cross OS. That's pretty much the only major one I can't get on my other PC's. Not that I would get it. They used to have a version for Mac, but stopped that.

Anyone remember Netscape... I think it was 4 or something, where they forgot to add underscores in their CSS. Man, that had me running around for a while trying to figure out why everything was messing up.

[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
23-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Chrome is great even on the linux/debian boxes.

It has decen web development features built in too. I like that I can link my Google account to Chrome and it auto-synchronises settings between my home computer and work computer. It even works with browser plugins even though one machine is debian and the other is win7. Also syncs up the bookmarks. Loving the cloud computing...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
23-03-2012, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2012 04:53 AM by Filox.)
So it apears I am the ONLY one using Opera?! How is that possible? I know Mozilla is great, that is my second choice, but no one using Opera is just weird.

Only one person uses IE, now that is a good statistic, we should inform that person about other, better web browsers, that would be even better statistic...

Smile

P.S.

Quote:I'm skipping back and forth between Firefox and IE now. I just don't like the way Firefox looks. I prefer the url to be above the browser tabs and my menu options below it. And the color scheme is better for me on IE. Other than aesthetics I can't tell a difference between them. And all browsers are really just IE copies anyway.

Gotta comment on this, all the browser may be copies of IE, EXCEPT Opera, which is a stand alone browser with long, long history, always been promoted as the fastest browser in the world (although, I think Chrome is now faster)... Most other browsers do use somme if not all of IE's engine, but Opera does not. Also, Chrome is a complete stand-alone if I'm not mistaking. When using Opera, you can see the small differences in all pages, while Firefox will be the same as in IE, most of the time.

Opera also uses advanced developer thingies, which most of us do not need, but I like to have them...

But all this changes rather quick, so God knows what kind of stuff they use today, I stopped exploring these things a few years ago, when I decided I will use Opera, after years of Firefoxing. Only thing I miss is the Greasemonkey...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-03-2012, 04:43 AM
(23-03-2012 04:34 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Chrome is great even on the linux/debian boxes.

It has decen web development features built in too. I like that I can link my Google account to Chrome and it auto-synchronises settings between my home computer and work computer. It even works with browser plugins even though one machine is debian and the other is win7. Also syncs up the bookmarks. Loving the cloud computing...

Yeah, that is a good way to go. I haven't done it yet, but keep thinking about certain aspects of it. It's not much different then how we were before cloud, but by giving it a name, sure speeds things up. I guess it solidifies the idea more, so that people can focus more on it. Well, maybe I should say it wasn't much different, because currently it has a lot of things that we didn't used to do. I like new things to play with.

From what I understand, Firefox can do that as well. I don't really use cloud, but have it on all the machines. It must make life easier to have the same info on all PCs.

28-03-2012, 07:56 PM
(21-03-2012 02:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Firefox is my choice.
Netscape all the way

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould