Poll: Which Cult Is The Most Corrupting?
Catholicism?
Buddhism?
Prote$tanti$m?
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which Is The Most Corrupting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2015 11:38 PM by DLJ.)
Which Is The Most Corrupting?
The Cafia?

Monkly Business?

Greed is Good God?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-04-2015, 01:06 AM
RE: Which Is The Most Corrupting?
Coincidentally, I was listening to a philosophy podcast talking about Buddhism a few hours ago in which it was mentioned how Buddhist monks in Thailand have had some tithing types of holds on the public for quite some time. Good to have more than just that one source for that information.

I still gotta go with the grand daddy origination who has built a system of mega structures expanding the globe. They're a good mix of taking in the money and telling you suffering is good for your soul in far too many contexts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
30-04-2015, 02:37 AM
Islam not up for a vote? Perhaps it's not corrupting so much as corroding, and it is by far the most corrosive, albeit ANY religiosity corrodes by its very nature.

I think the tendency for religious leadership toward corruption isn't due to religion; the human psyche is a poor instrument of self restraint and corruption infuses every corridor of power ever constructed, religious or otherwise.

All of the above would be my vote, plus all the ones not mentioned. Well, the FSM gang might be excused: they haven't tried rewriting history and science textbooks. Not in earnest.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
30-04-2015, 02:44 AM
(30-04-2015 02:37 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  ...
All of the above would be my vote,

You can vote for all three if you like.

Thumbsup

30-04-2015, 02:59 AM
I haven't read much on Bhuddism but isn't it quite an atheistic religion, if there can be such a thing? I always heard that the Buddha was pretty hot on self reflection, not taking even his own words as absolute, not worrying about some kinda crappy afterlife etc.

Sure maybe the monks do what religious leaders the world over do, but yeah... I think I need more wikipedia... I want to say surely Bhuddism isn't nearly as toxic as Christianity/Islam in terms of religiously motivated conflict but I haven't actually got a clue whether that's true or not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-04-2015, 04:25 AM
(29-04-2015 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The Cafia?

Monkly Business?

Greed is Good God?

A prophet tole me : Dat monk, him not rive berry rong. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies and votes.

I'm in Phuket (pronounced with a P not an F) with dodgy internet access so I won't be contributing much this week.

Back soon

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-04-2015, 09:23 PM
(30-04-2015 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... I'm in Phuket ...

I spent a week there in 1999, my first trip outside the Americas. All my summers home in SFO Bay Area I spend mostly shirtless, so my first day poolside at our resort I left my shirt in the hut. The rest of the week that shirt and others never came off, even snorkeling. Too painful. I had completely neglected to reckon the difference between unobstructed sun at 37 degrees of latitude in SFO and Phuket's sun 30 degrees closer to the equator. It's a big difference. About one whole degree of burn scale difference.

Gasp
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
30-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Pollsters.

#sigh
01-05-2015, 05:26 AM
I voted for Protestantism because it's what I know. Fundamentalists do a hell of a job on indoctrination and isolation. No

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.