Which Universe Is Most Likely?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Which Universe Is Most Likely?
So I constantly hear about all these different ideas concerning the universe and beyond but I just want to know which one is the most credible right now. I'll quickly go over the mainstream, or most heard of, explanations of quantum phenomena and their relevancy to the universe.

Everyone's Favorite! The Multiverse:

Pretty standard. Multiple universes. Came up because of quantum mechanics. I don't think I have to spend too much time on this one. But basically, every time-line that ever could happen exists in another universe. There are even other universes where physics are different.

The Multiverse

The boring one! A single universe:

You ever heard of the Copen-Hagen Interpretation? It describes the effects of quantum phenomena. Basically it says that the wave-function is just a distribution of probability and nothing more. It doesn't mean multiple universes, time-travel, yadda-yadda. BOR-RING!! Am I right? Thanks scientists. Dodgy

Copenhagen Interpretation

A simulated universe:

First of all, in case you aren't acquainted with the Simulation Hypothesis. It basically says that the universe and all of reality is fake and being, 'simulated'. Simulated in the same sense that a video-game about racing simulates racing. Basically our universe is one giant video-game. I would talk about it more, but I digress. You can read more about it here:
Simulation Hypothesis

And what would that imply, if Science somehow proves that our universe IS in fact simulated, then something has to be doing the simulating right? Be it God, a humanoid, a group of humanoids, another kind of entity, or something we can't even imagine,... SOMETHING is simulating our universe right? And whatever that something is means that Deism would be correct, yes?

Many-Interacting Worlds:

So, this is just the Multiverse but quantum phenomena is explained by overlapping universes interacting with eachother. I can't explain it in laymans terms better than that. See here:
Many Interacting Worlds

Alright guys, those are what I feel are the most heard of interpretations. What do you think? Which is the most credible/likely and why? Please discuss.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cumulus's post
14-10-2016, 05:51 AM
RE: Which Universe Is Most Likely?
(07-10-2016 09:27 AM)Cumulus Wrote:  So I constantly hear about all these different ideas concerning the universe and beyond but I just want to know which one is the most credible right now. I'll quickly go over the mainstream, or most heard of, explanations of quantum phenomena and their relevancy to the universe.

Pretty standard. Multiple universes. Came up because of quantum mechanics. I don't think I have to spend too much time on this one. But basically, every time-line that ever could happen exists in another universe. There are even other universes where physics are different.

The Multiverse

You ever heard of the Copen-Hagen Interpretation? It describes the effects of quantum phenomena. Basically it says that the wave-function is just a distribution of probability and nothing more. It doesn't mean multiple universes, time-travel, yadda-yadda. BOR-RING!! Am I right? Thanks scientists. Dodgy

A simulated universe:

First of all, in case you aren't acquainted with the Simulation Hypothesis. It basically says that the universe and all of reality is fake and being, 'simulated'. Simulated in the same sense that a video-game about racing simulates racing. Basically our universe is one giant video-game. I would talk about it more, but I digress. You can read more about it here:
Simulation Hypothesis

And what would that imply, if Science somehow proves that our universe IS in fact simulated, then something has to be doing the simulating right? Be it God, a humanoid, a group of humanoids, another kind of entity, or something we can't even imagine,... SOMETHING is simulating our universe right? And whatever that something is means that Deism would be correct, yes?

Many-Interacting Worlds:

So, this is just the Multiverse but quantum phenomena is explained by overlapping universes interacting with eachother. I can't explain it in laymans terms better than that. See here:
Many Interacting Worlds

Alright guys, those are what I feel are the most heard of interpretations. What do you think? Which is the most credible/likely and why? Please discuss.

Any Universe challenges the physical measurement apparatus (the most important, the fundamental department of the Technical Science called "Metrology"). Thus, it is not easy for the secular scientist to find the Absolute Truth. Would you like to hear my professional opinion? Thumbsup Smartass
14-10-2016, 06:13 AM
The one with me in it?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 3 users Like Gloucester's post
14-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Multiverse: "There are even other universes where physics are different."

It violates the strong equivalence principle, thus, is not physical.
14-10-2016, 12:18 PM
(14-10-2016 05:51 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Any Universe challenges the physical measurement apparatus (the most important, the fundamental department of the Technical Science called "Metrology"). Thus, it is not easy for the secular scientist to find the Absolute Truth. Would you like to hear my professional opinion? Thumbsup Smartass

Any universe challenges the science of measurement? Okay, I'll bite. How?

I'm not sure there even is an, "Absolute Truth". It's not easy for secular people of all walks in life to find any truth. When you reject religious doctrine, the answers must be found again. I'm still in the middle of this process of knowing, not knowing, and the hope of future knowledge.

I would very much like to hear your professional opinion. What is your profession by the by? Is it a scientist who studies metrology or... what?
[+] 1 user Likes Cumulus's post
14-10-2016, 12:58 PM
(14-10-2016 12:18 PM)Cumulus Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 05:51 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Any Universe challenges the physical measurement apparatus (the most important, the fundamental department of the Technical Science called "Metrology"). Thus, it is not easy for the secular scientist to find the Absolute Truth. Would you like to hear my professional opinion? Thumbsup Smartass

Any universe challenges the science of measurement? Okay, I'll bite. How?

I'm not sure there even is an, "Absolute Truth". It's not easy for secular people of all walks in life to find any truth. When you reject religious doctrine, the answers must be found again. I'm still in the middle of this process of knowing, not knowing, and the hope of future knowledge.

I would very much like to hear your professional opinion. What is your profession by the by? Is it a scientist who studies metrology or... what?

The Dmitri Martila was born as the happy child in 1975 in Estonia. The (murdered later) father had the connection with science, the mother was a hard worker. The school was finished with Gold Medal of honor, the Tartu University was completed with the "cum laude" - the perfect diploma. With great help of my supervisor Prof. Tammelo several top "Current Content" papers were published. I was interested in General Relativity and the Stochastic Physics.

The opinion about the Multiverse in in the above comment. Thank you.
14-10-2016, 01:04 PM
(14-10-2016 05:51 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 09:27 AM)Cumulus Wrote:  So I constantly hear about all these different ideas concerning the universe and beyond but I just want to know which one is the most credible right now. I'll quickly go over the mainstream, or most heard of, explanations of quantum phenomena and their relevancy to the universe.

The Multiverse

A simulated universe:

Simulation Hypothesis

Many-Interacting Worlds:

Many Interacting Worlds

Any Universe challenges the physical measurement apparatus (the most important, the fundamental department of the Technical Science called "Metrology"). Thus, it is not easy for the secular scientist to find the Absolute Truth. Would you like to hear my professional opinion? Thumbsup Smartass

You have a "professional" opinion ?
What profession is that ?
Professional dolt ?

No we don't want to hear any more of your tripe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Here are my brief, raw thoughts on each theory:

Quote:Everyone's Favorite! The Multiverse

I'm open to the idea of a multiverse, but I'm not certain of us being able to observe other universes. I don't like the Many Worlds Interpretation because it seems to still center around one universe, just a different course of events that make up almost identical copies of the same universe. I prefer an idea where isolated universes each have their own "physics", because it seems to fit how our universe has a standard model of seemingly random values and units.
Quote:The boring one! A single universe

I can't say I even understand some of the experiments made of quantum mechanics, so I don't really understand the Copen-Hagen interpretation, but it seems to be a better interpretation of quantum results than the MWI. Even though it is used to describe a single universe, I don't think that it goes against a multiverse. For example, for a multiverse of universes with different physics, Copen-Hagen may be correct for our universe.

Quote:A simulated universe

I like the implications of the idea of a simulated universe. If we are part of a simulation, then in what medium are we being simulated? I don't think we are being simulated by a more advanced society within the universe, as one theory describes it, nor do I think the universe is a simulation at all. However, I do believe that there can be a higher medium, a greater reality in which we are existing, like how our computer simulations exists in the higher reality of our universe.

Quote:Many-Interacting Worlds

I've never heard of this one before this thread, though I did think about such a concept. It doesn't seem too detailed and it feels quite sketchy. The fact that the different worlds exert a repulsive force beyond themselves to influence other worlds, and that the worlds are "nearby" or "similar" and Newtonian in nature does not mesh well with me.

This is a nice topic to discuss so I'm thankful for the thread!Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like unknowndevil666's post
14-10-2016, 08:14 PM
(14-10-2016 05:10 PM)unknowndevil666 Wrote:  Here are my brief, raw thoughts on each theory:

Quote:Everyone's Favorite! The Multiverse

I'm open to the idea of a .............

This is a nice topic to discuss so I'm thankful for the thread!Big Grin

It is really nice to be open for ideas, but the ideas get accumulated into the heaviest burden, which destroys our happiness. My advise: the wrong ideas shall be deleted.
Please reread my opinion about the Multiverse. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes theBorg's post
14-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Our planet isn't the only planet. Our star, and it's system, isn't the only star system. Our galaxy isn't the only galaxy. Our cluster isn't the only cluster. Our super cluster isn't the only super cluster.

Our universe... Unsure isn't the only universe? I guess I'll pick multi-verse till we know for sure there isn't something larger! Tongue