Which bible to study

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Which bible to study
Hello,

I'm from Belgium and I'm an Atheist.
I would like to read the (Christian) bible to have a better understanding of the belief.
For me this is not a small undertaking and i want to be at least prepared.

I'm Flemish and Dutch is my native language. I hope i have a reasonable understanding of English as well Smile

I started to look on some Flemish (Catholic) websites and i noticed some different versions of the Christian(Catholic?) bibles like Willibrord translation from 1995 (pocket bible / family bible / "luxurious" standard edition / school bible / paperback / marriage bible), willibrord translation from 1978 (seems to only have a standard edition), children's bible and a "new" translation which seems to be a catholic edition (there's a "big" edition / study edition / standard edition). There seem to be quite allot of "editions" Smile

While reading it in Dutch would be the easiest for me there are some things that worry me. First of all every translation made of any literature to Dutch i have seen so for is far from perfect not to say really, really bad. 2nd If it is in Dutch not many people are going to understand me if i want to discuss something Smile so maybe i should pick an English version.

It would also be nice to have a hardcopy with the same online copy so i can make notes.

Wikipedia says: "The Christian Booksellers Association list the most popular versions of the Bible sold by their members (in the US). In 2007 the New International Version was the most popular, followed by the New King James Version and the King James Version[8] More current data can be found in the External links section, which typically reflects the above rankings. Amazon lists the top ten in current sales in the USA (as of 8/17/2009) to be the NAB, NRSV, NIV, KJV, The Message, NASB, NLT, RSV, The Amplified Bible, and the Orthodox Study Bible." There's also a complete list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eng...nslations.

The long list of translations confuse me and i don't know what to pick. I would like to read a source as close to the "original" as possible, but of course they will all say they are the "correct" translation Smile
Then how do you go about reading the bible as a non-believer? Any strategies i should use? Just start at page one and keep going? ;-)

I know this is probably weird to ask on a site like this but any input will be much apriciated!

Gruffi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 06:36 PM by morondog.)
RE: Which bible to study
You can read lots of them online - different translations for comparison too. I suggest you do that before you waste money Wink

Try www.biblegateway.com.

Also read Buddy Christ's 'An Atheist's Critique of the Bible' - sticky in the Atheism and Theism section of the forum - it's pretty good and it'll give you an overview of all the crazy shit Smile

Reading the Bible is a pretty good way to improve your English because a lot of English phrases are drawn from it.

The best books in my opinion are Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Job, Proverbs... they've all got crazy shit in but Ecclesiastes could have pretty much been written by an atheist.
To use BibleGateway.com, just enter a book in the search pane and choose the translation you want.

King James Version is Olde Englishe Tongue

New K.J.V. is updated but same source material as old K.J.V. It's very poetic though. Many English sayings are drawn from KJV.

New International Version is the most popular.

KingsChosen, our resident Christian, will recommend his own version - he's got one which is his favourite and which he claims is closest to the original writings. As far as I can see they're all pretty much the same.

Also bear in mind that Catholics have some extra books of the Bible available to them which protestants don't have in their Bible. Protestants call these the apocrypha. If you google them you will find them online too.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
If you have an apple (computer, phone, iPad) product there are some bible apps which include all different bibles and different language translations of them.
04-03-2012, 09:41 PM
The New American Standard Bible (NASB) is traditionally the closest to being a word for word translation from Hebrew and Greek into English. Other versions, like the New International Reader's Version (NIrV) are more dynamic in translating thought instead of words so it's easier to read, especially if English isn't your first language.

But really, I recommend reading Aesop's Fables or Bullfinch's Mythology as these have more moral truth than the Bible.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
04-03-2012, 09:55 PM
May I suggest http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com.
[+] 3 users Like Jeffrick's post
05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
(04-03-2012 09:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The New American Standard Bible (NASB) is traditionally the closest to being a word for word translation from Hebrew and Greek into English. Other versions, like the New International Reader's Version (NIrV) are more dynamic in translating thought instead of words so it's easier to read, especially if English isn't your first language.

This.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
(04-03-2012 09:55 PM)Jeffrick Wrote:  May I suggest http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com.

For your purpose, this. If you approach it like a non-believer, perhaps you wouldn't want to miss the hot spots. The bible is one BORING piece of literature. Your brain may fall asleep and miss something juicy.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone,

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com seems to do the trick very well.

Thanks everyone for your responses, i apreciate it Smile

Gruffi
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Go to Barnes and Nobel and find the Christian Literature section.
It's the middle book shelf, second shelf from the top, third bible over.
That's the correct one. The rest are all full of lies and distortions.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.