Which branches of religions are the most dangerous?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2012, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2012 10:00 PM by kingschosen.)
RE: Which branches of religions are the most dangerous?
Quote:
Quote:In all honesty though... I would say Calvinists are the most harmless.

I mean... we know we can't control it, so we don't force things.

Oh yeah, that John Calvin was a bag of laughs. How many did he have executed for heresy?
Undecided

Calvin isn't Calvinism. You know this, Chas.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2012, 10:05 PM
(24-11-2012 09:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
Quote:Oh yeah, that John Calvin was a bag of laughs. How many did he have executed for heresy?
Undecided

Calvin isn't Calvinism. You know this, Chas.

And Satan isn't Satanism, blah, blah, blah.

Quote:Calvinism bears the name of the French reformer John Calvin because of his noticeable influence and because of his role in the confessional and ecclesiastical debates of the 16th century. Rarely it may refer to the teachings of Calvin himself.[3] The system is sometimes identified with the five points of Calvinism and is best known today for its doctrines of predestination and total depravity, stressing the total contingency of man's salvation upon the absolute sovereignty of God.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2012, 10:45 PM
(24-11-2012 05:40 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, ratty.

From a human systems perspective, a memetics perspective, even from the perspective of using biology as an analogy, this question of yours doesn't hold up.

How can a question "not hold up"? Do you mean he's asking something logically fallacious? Or that it's unanswerable? This seems to be the direction you took your answer, but isn't it also possible that you simply don't understand how to answer the question? I mean, just because you don't have the answer doesn't mean that nobody possibly could. It's not a silly question like "why are unicorns hollow?" If we suppose that religions can be dangerous, then it's fair to ask to which of them is the most dangerous.

More importantly, though, it doesn't have to have an objective answer. We're free to define "most dangerous" ourselves and offer opinions. Isn't that what the OP is asking for?

To the OP -- I think the danger lies more in the fanaticism of the believer than the belief. Two people in the same religion can be totally different degrees of danger to society. But that isn't to say that certain religions don't inspire greater fanaticism. Scientology, for example, has supported law breaking (Project Snow White) and done really horrible things to those who have left its ranks, as well as financially punished those who don't leave its ranks. If I had to give an opinion on which is the most dangerous, I'd say Scientology.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
24-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I'd say it would be the ones that bake the best cookies, preferably with Kool-Aid.

[Image: giphy.gif]
25-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Many religions are dangerous to the body. Many more are dangerous to emotional-well-being.

ALL of them are dangerous to the intellect.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
25-11-2012, 01:15 AM
(24-11-2012 11:13 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'd say it would be the ones that bake the best cookies, preferably with Kool-Aid.
Eh, I don't know about this. Pagans and Rastafarians make pretty good cookies. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
25-11-2012, 02:44 AM
I tend to see all religions as tumors. I think we need to cut them all out. Now that I have said that, I need to also say that some are quite dangerous while others are not. The catholics are still dangerous, even though they don't actively execute people. Instead they spread poisonous beliefs in 3rd world countries thus causing death and suffering on a massive scale. Islam of any denomination is dangerous. They have far more fundamentalists than other religions and talking to resolve problems is not something that they want to do. They tend to riot and blow things up when they don't get their way. Most of the christian beliefs are pretty non-threatening. I know they get far too much into politics, but they are not voting to kill non-believers. Very few of their believers pick up a gun or a pipe bomb to blow up a place that they don't agree with (although there are some). I know that the reformed christian churches are pretty open minded. When it comes to positive atheism, their morals are the same and they admit it.
25-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Okay, after some thought, I figured I'd be serious this time.

Religions on a whole are horribly dangerous and unpredictable beasts, but you have to figure how you would classify "dangerous" in this context.
If you mean the religion that currently has the most potential to fuck everything and everybody over, I'd have go hand over the prize to the various Islamic extremist sects that have popped up all over the M.E.
If we are talking about "dangerous" as a measure of their potential to fuck everything up throughout their history, that'd go hands down too Catholicism.

If we are talking about what religion is most dangerous to the worlds weapons industries, that prize should be given to the various Buddhist sects.

It's all about what you mean by "dangerous" in the context of your question and where and how you wish to gauge it.

(I have not actually read the other responses past the first page, so forgive me if I am simply repeating somebody else.)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-11-2012, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 05:20 AM by Janus.)
(24-11-2012 09:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 07:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  In all honesty though... I would say Calvinists are the most harmless.

I mean... we know we can't control it, so we don't force things.

Oh yeah, that John Calvin was a bag of laughs. How many did he have executed for heresy?

Seems you have bullshit opinions even on stuff you evidently haven't got the vaguest clue about. How do you make that stuff up? Who was ever executed by, or under orders of Calvin for his/her religious beliefs? Name me one! Only one!
FYI: killing heretics was precisely the opposition's, the inquisition's trade mark m.o.! That was exactly what was different about Calvin (and Zwingli, and Luther, etc.).
25-11-2012, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 03:39 AM by Janus.)
If by "which branches of religions are the most dangerous?" you mean "which idealistic 'movements' have proven to be the most dangerous?" (to human life) I propose Djenghis Khan's movement: it killed one seventh of the world's human population! Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and even the catholic church were rank amateurs compared to that!