Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?
Hello there! I dont know if there is a similar thread already but I'm curious to hear about more dumb superstitions.

I'll start telling you the dumbest superstition I've ever heard so far.

I love to have pets, I have 1 canary left, a couple of parakeets and 2 red eared turtles, my grandmother used to have a lot of birds almost a hundred canaries Big Grin, and she had a big green talking parrot, but unfortunately she gave him away because there is a superstition about parrots; It will bring bad luck if you have a parrot in a famlily with single daughters because the parrot will make them unlucky in order to find someone to get married Sad.

I knew about this superstition when my parakeets arrived because I didn't buy them, they scaped from another place and they arrived into my house and I kept them as pets, and one of my aunts told me about that superstition because I have a younger sister and she told me that I shouldn't keep them because of that jinx, curse, etc, WTF?, I LOL'd so hard in her face (sorry I couldnt resist Tongue), and I told her that I refuse to believe such thing because we're on XXI century. Well that is the dumbest superstition I've ever heard, if someone know a dumb superstition share it here. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 06:09 PM
RE: Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?
The one I heard was "you can't eat chicken on new year's eve because the chicken will scratch your luck away " - seriously WTF ?!

But then again , if you look at how some hard-liners keep the Sabbath holy - you will get a laugh.Religion is superstition , is it not ?
Find all posts by this user
26-01-2011, 06:34 PM
My late mother-in-law thought that when a frog's throat expanded (when they are "vocalizing") it was giving the Evil Eye. She was from Morocco
26-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I went to college with a guy who thought it was bad luck to split a pole. What this basically means if he and I were walking down the street and there is a light pole on the side, he thought it was bad luck if he walked on one side of the pole and I stepped off the curb and walked on the other side of the pole at the same time. He had no other strange beliefs that I know of, but this one really got to him.

Freshman year there were a bunch of us who went to dinner every night and there were these big pillars between our dorm and the dining hall and we would always make a point to make sure he split that pole. I think we cured him of it by the end of the year.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-01-2011, 12:28 AM
A black cat crossing one's path is bad luck. Right. Where the hell is a cat supposed to walk so it never crosses anyone's path? Or, how does it plot a path so that it will only cross paths of people who are coming into bad luck?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-01-2011, 05:56 AM
"Cover your ears when you see an earwig" is one of the stupidest things I heard of.
I heard it say a kid when I was a kid myself. When I asked him why he did this (he really did that while I was sitting next to him) he said it crawls up your ear and causes inflammations.
after I stopped laughing my response was:
1: How does he know where your ears are?
2: Why does he do that?
3: Isn't it much more efficient to brush it off while he is walking to your ear
and last... This one is DEATH stupid! Big Grin
LMAO

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I hear the same one about earwigs as a kid - used to see these Myriapoda insects and thought they were earwigs trying to puncture my ear drum while I slept - they were harmless ,squishy something.

The earwig isn't called that because it gets in your ear , it's because one of it's bodyparts(wing?) resembles a human ear.
27-01-2011, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2011 07:22 AM by Observer.)
The "hook" on the back does looks intimidating, but it is used in mating to grab a hold of the partner.
In a more disgusting story, I accidentally ate some. they're bitter...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-01-2011, 03:15 PM
>Step on a spider and it will rain.
>Barnacles turn into Barnacle Geese.
>Any tiny part of a porchalaka weed(pardon the spelling) will grow again if left on the ground. This was my mother's belief. My dad was an agriculture agent. She didn't even bother to ask him.
>Sticking pins in a doll will make a person feel pain.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-01-2011, 03:51 PM
It is amazing! Some people really still believe in strange superstitions xD, speaking of bugs; most of the people I know believe that Jerusalem's Crickets aka., Cara de niño (Child's Face) is an almost deadly poisonous insect, It is some kind of urban legend here in Mexico. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user