Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2011, 10:16 PM
RE: Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?
(27-01-2011 07:18 AM)The_observer Wrote:  The "hook" on the back does looks intimidating, but it is used in mating to grab a hold of the partner.
In a more disgusting story, I accidentally ate some. they're bitter...

Some? Like, more than one? How do you do that by accident? Wink

They do pinch though, I got pinched by one in a plant of mine once. Ouchy!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 01:32 AM
(27-01-2011 10:16 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Some? Like, more than one? How do you do that by accident? Wink
That's quite a story.
You know those pump-type coffee dispenser-Thermoses? We used to have one in our vacation-home when I was a 12 or something. It was a while since we where there and that morning , my mother took it out. She carefully rinsed it and made coffee in it. But... she forgot that spout that was still laying in the cupboard. We pumped but no coffee came out. "Oh, we forgot the spout...". Without looking we opened the dispenser and put the spout inside. The first coffee was for me. Guess what was hiding inside the little pipe. I did not notice anything special until I swallowed something other then liquid and had a crunchy texture between my teeth and a very very bitter taste.

Not my average breakfast...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The one I used to believe.

I was raised Jehovah's Witness. During the 80's when the Smurf craze was going on they were banned in our Kingdom Hall because they were evil! There was even stories of kids buying Smurf dolls and the dolls would move on their own, evil spirits would enter the house, strange noises would start and the Smurf's would speak to children telling them to accept Satan. I shit you not, this actually happened and I believed it. After all, you mother and elders wouldn't lie to you?

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
28-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Who makes up this SHIT? Braindead schizophrenics with paranoid delusions who are stoned on acid?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-01-2011, 07:45 PM
(28-01-2011 01:32 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(27-01-2011 10:16 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Some? Like, more than one? How do you do that by accident? Wink
That's quite a story.
You know those pump-type coffee dispenser-Thermoses? We used to have one in our vacation-home when I was a 12 or something. It was a while since we where there and that morning , my mother took it out. She carefully rinsed it and made coffee in it. But... she forgot that spout that was still laying in the cupboard. We pumped but no coffee came out. "Oh, we forgot the spout...". Without looking we opened the dispenser and put the spout inside. The first coffee was for me. Guess what was hiding inside the little pipe. I did not notice anything special until I swallowed something other then liquid and had a crunchy texture between my teeth and a very very bitter taste.

Not my average breakfast...

Ugh! Gross. Wink

OT story: I once drank a spider like this once. (I'm quite arachnophobic) I took a swig from one of those water bottles with the pop-up tops and to my dismay discovered something solid in my mouth. I spit it into a nearby sink and it was a spider. To add insult to injury, as I was peering into the sink in horror, it twitched!! I had the willies for at least an hour. Undecided

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
29-01-2011, 07:43 AM
They say these are very protein rich Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-01-2011, 05:30 PM
All spiders have some amount of poison. Some have a lot and some have very toxic venom, and then some have a lot of very toxic venom. Swallowing some kinds of spiders is probably a bad idea.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-01-2011, 02:14 AM
(28-01-2011 05:47 PM)No J. Wrote:  Who makes up this SHIT? Braindead schizophrenics with paranoid delusions who are stoned on acid?

The best part is that JW's love to point out the ridiculous superstitions of other religions but never point to their own.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
30-01-2011, 01:06 PM
"Government should stay out of people's business and shouldn't regulate anything, except for how and whom my neighbors fuck."

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
30-01-2011, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2011 02:12 PM by No J..)
(30-01-2011 01:06 PM)Kar98 Wrote:  "Government should stay out of people's business and shouldn't regulate anything, except for how and whom my neighbors fuck."

That would mean that big factories would stop being pollution concious and cities, rivers, lakes, seas, oceans and land would turn into sewers for their toxic waste, which we would have to live with. Yes I know that they pollute a lot, but check out the history of factory pollution in North America and the billions and billions of tax dollars it took to clean up the part of the mess that was cleaned up.

That would also mean that if someone walked into your house shot you and raped your wife (or girlfriend) there would be no legal system to go after them. This means that all those dangerous people in jail would be walking around free and we would have to deal with it. Yes I know about vigilantes. They are notorious for chasing and lynching the wrong people. That is why they have been outlawed. If you think Texas lawmen are bad, vigilantes are worse. They have absolutely no training in proper police work.

Then there is your working conditions. No minimum wage, no fair hiring and firing laws, no enforced safety conditions, no maximum work hours before overtime, no weekends (yes weekends were fought for by unions. Regular time used to be 10 hrs. per day 6 days a week) etc, etc ,etc.

How about the food you eat. There is a huge group of people checking to make sure what is on the market is safe, properly labeled,etc. Check the death rate from diseases in areas of the world without such regulations. Ditto medicine, traffic laws, building laws,zoning laws(you buy a house, then a year later a factory opens up next door and accross the street a pig farm is built).

This is just the beginning. I think you haven't really thought about what the world would be like without governments. Even bad government can be better than no government.

Without regulations there is no need for government. If there was no government, some group would try to take control, and that would leave religion as the strongest contender, which is scary.