Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2011, 04:23 AM
RE: Which is the dumbest superstition you've ever heard?
(31-01-2011 09:34 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  People go around randomly blessing each other here anyway. It's freaking weird.
Do you hang around with a bunch of boy-scouts practising "random acts of blessing"?
*sneak*sneak*sneak*
*HA! BLESSED*
*aah... Don't do that!*
Big GrinBig Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 06:00 AM
(01-02-2011 04:23 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Do you hang around with a bunch of boy-scouts practising "random acts of blessing"?
*sneak*sneak*sneak*
*HA! BLESSED*
*aah... Don't do that!*
Big GrinBig Grin

If you have not seen it, rent the movie "Jesus Camp" and you'll see kids doing pretty much that - sneaking up on people to bless them.

It's freaky.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 09:46 AM by jmick.)
I always heard having peacock feathers inside your house is bad luck...along with a hat on the bed...a wild bird getting in the house means a death is upcoming...sweeping under one's feet will prevent marriage, and let's not forget to knock wood when we talk about our good fortune, lest we jinx ourselves.
I just remembered another one, spinning a chair on one leg is very bad luck, also sleeping in the scoutmasters tent, not good luck.
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
(01-02-2011 06:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  If you have not seen it, rent the movie "Jesus Camp" and you'll see kids doing pretty much that - sneaking up on people to bless them.

It's freaky.

That movie could easily be filed under the genre of "horror".

*shudder*
(01-02-2011 09:39 AM)jmick Wrote:  I always heard having peacock feathers inside your house is bad luck...along with a hat on the bed...a wild bird getting in the house means a death is upcoming...sweeping under one's feet will prevent marriage, and let's not forget to knock wood when we talk about our good fortune, lest we jinx ourselves.
I just remembered another one, spinning a chair on one leg is very bad luck, also sleeping in the scoutmasters tent, not good luck.

Yours reminded me of the spilling salt thing. Make sure you throw it over your left shoulder, now. Wink

A hat on a bed? Never heard that one.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Not sure if this one's been covered yet, but I've heard that a bird shitting on you on your wedding day is good luck. Yes, I said GOOD luck!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
02-02-2011, 06:49 AM
(01-02-2011 10:32 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Not sure if this one's been covered yet, but I've heard that a bird shitting on you on your wedding day is good luck. Yes, I said GOOD luck!

I've always heard that rain on your wedding day is good luck (and it poured on mine and I'm happily married for 13 years. Coincidence? Probably). However, getting hit with bird poop on any day is supposed to be good luck.

I think both of these fall into the category of: just trying to make you feel better after a bird pooped on you or rain ruined our wedding day.

02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
So today is Groundhog's day in the US. The tradition/superstition goes like this: a groundhog in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania comes out of his hole in the morning and if he sees his shadow, there are 6 more weeks of winter and if he doesn't, there will be an early spring. The groundhogs name is (and I'm not making this up) "Punxsutawney Phil". Seriously.

There are a few other groundhogs now doing this in the US but Phil is the recognized national groundhog. A large part of the Punxsutawney economy is built around this event, believe it or not.

Anyway, I've good news and bad news.

The good news is, ignoring for a moment the question of how you know if a groundhog sees its shadow or not, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning (probably due to the ice storm we were hit with) and we are going to have an early spring.

The bad news is rodents can't actually forecast the weather and spring is going to come whenever it comes.

02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
(02-02-2011 08:06 AM)BnW Wrote:  The bad news is rodents can't actually forecast the weather and spring is going to come whenever it comes.

Say it isn't so!!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
actually, it will be an early spring. How do I know? Last week when I was digging out of 2 feet of snow I ended up ordering a snow blower online (there was nothing in the stores near me and they laughed when I called and asked). Today, my new snow blower was delivered. I'm pretty sure it's an anti-snow talisman and will ward off any additional snow this winter just so I feel like I did not get my money's worth on this thing.

It won't work, though. If it keeps it from snowing the rest of the winter, it will still be the best $300 I ever spent in my life.

02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
(02-02-2011 07:18 PM)BnW Wrote:  actually, it will be an early spring. How do I know? Last week when I was digging out of 2 feet of snow I ended up ordering a snow blower online (there was nothing in the stores near me and they laughed when I called and asked). Today, my new snow blower was delivered. I'm pretty sure it's an anti-snow talisman and will ward off any additional snow this winter just so I feel like I did not get my money's worth on this thing.

It won't work, though. If it keeps it from snowing the rest of the winter, it will still be the best $300 I ever spent in my life.

I remember shoveling. And snowblowing and plowing. Wink That is about the only thing I DON'T miss living here. I'd rather have the snow though, than what I have here.